Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2017, 08:00   #31

Re: Scandinavian flags (Norway, Sweden, Denmark) - any complications?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyer View Post
Some info about Norwegian regulations:
If a non Norwegian citizen living in Norway buying a Norwegian VAT payed boat under 15 meters, no need for registration or license to use it. If taking it to EU countries (regardless of where you are living), you are allowed to keep it there for max 18 months, before you again must visit Norway, Guernsey or another non EU country. If the boat is over 15 meters, you must register it in the Norwegian NOR or NIS register. a onetime fee less than 300$ applies. - no yearly fee thereafter..

Another thing is if you are taking a non Norwegian registered boat to Norway and are using it yourself in Our waters or leaving it over Winter, you must apply to the Norwegian customs for not risking to pay Norwegian VAT of 25% on the value of the boat. Norwegian citizen are not allowed to use the boat as a captain...

The only fee yearly is if you have a registered VHF og AIS Device With a MMSI number, that is costing around 450 NOK every year paid to Telenor who is operating the Communications Licenses....
Thank you for the details!
How long is the Norwegian VAT paid status kept? E.g. do you loose it if the boat doesn't return to Norwegian waters in 4-5 years?
Old 27-09-2017, 08:21   #32

Boat: First 44.7

as long you sail her under Norwegian flag, the VAT status is not revoked...anytime
Just be sure you keep all relevant papers With HIN number available...

For Norwegian, it's normally the opposite - they want to NOT pay VAT (MOMS in Norway) when importing a boat from abroad. Many Norwegians buy boats without VAT abroad and register her in NIS (Norwegian International register) and keep the boat out of Norwegian waters. (you can sail her to Norway with a non-Norwegian captain. But apply for that first to the customs!)
dreyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 08:46   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyer View Post
as long you sail her under Norwegian flag, the VAT status is not revoked...anytime
Just be sure you keep all relevant papers With HIN number available...

For Norwegian, it's normally the opposite - they want to NOT pay VAT (MOMS in Norway) when importing a boat from abroad. Many Norwegians buy boats without VAT abroad and register her in NIS (Norwegian International register) and keep the boat out of Norwegian waters. (you can sail her to Norway with a non-Norwegian captain. But apply for that first to the customs!)
I am after a second (third...) hand classic, practically all VAT paid, I just want to avoid paying VAT again. A long, if customs allow multiple seasons, cruising along the Norwegian coast is definitely in my plans.
Old 27-09-2017, 09:04   #34

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
Nope, you need the "Hochseeschein" (one level above the "B-schein"), and also a powerboat cert if the boat has more than 8HP (6kW) engine. I have RYA coastal skipper and can't to go trough the whole Swiss curriculum right now.

True, I can start with a local (SWE/DK/FI) registration and change it later.
Who would check your qualifications since you are not planning on cruising in Switzerland? Not likely to find any Swiss coast guard in Norway, if they even have a coast guard.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 09:23   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Who would check your qualifications since you are not planning on cruising in Switzerland? Not likely to find any Swiss coast guard in Norway, if they even have a coast guard.
Valid point. Probably the only case it matters is an accident/insurance issue.
Old 27-09-2017, 10:53   #36

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
In Sweden, leisure boats can be owned and registered by EU citizens.

b.

Of course they can. They can't fly a Swedish flag though. Unless the law has changed since 2009 ( I've been cruising full time elsewhere since then) ANY vessel has to be own by at least 50% by Swedish individual(s) or company(-ies)in order to fly the flag.

I used to teach this so I ought to know

My previous answer was regarding this but I know realize that the OP perhaps meant KEEPiNG a foreign registered vessel in Sweden?!

If proof of VAT paid in the EU no problem, also if the boat is built.before a certain year.....a few years before Sweden entered the EU, but I can't recall the exact year as of now. Obviously any foreign vessel is "in transit" status if not Swedish registered. Thus, non EU registered vessels make up one entity, EU registered another and Swedish a third

If in doubt; just contact the tax authority and ask!

Skatteverket.se

Tags
Denmark, flags, Norway, Sweden