Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2017, 15:26   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Scattering ashes at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Dad sounds like a sensible man.

Yes he does. I use to say just bury me out back with the dog, but I know that is not allowed.

I and my Wife will be buried in Arlington, but mostly cause my family doesn't have to pay for it. She will be buried on top of me apparently.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 15:40   #47

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Yes he does. I use to say just bury me out back with the dog, but I know that is not allowed.

I and my Wife will be buried in Arlington, but mostly cause my family doesn't have to pay for it. She will be buried on top of me apparently.
My dad's take on a funeral was people saying what a nice guy he was when they thought he was a SOB all his life.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 17:48   #48

My view is why burn a 50 gallon drum of toxic fuel oil to cremate a body when it would be more beneficial just to toss the corpse overboard to the creatures of the deep. Everything that sinks into the ocean disappears and is recycled back into the environment. That's the way I'd like to end my days, at least making my final contribution to this planet.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 17:56   #49

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Interestingly, my father-in-law, whom I never met, is buried in Arlington. My mother-in-law could be buried on top of him, but she told us that she wanted to be cremated and her ashes scattered at sea.

My own father was a Captain in the South African Navy, and after he died he too was cremated and his ashes scattered in False Bay near Cape Town, off the back of the minesweeper he used to command. Ultimately I'd like my own ashes scattered there too. Just no time soon, OK...

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 18:39   #50

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
I would not want to dampen your sprit, but think of the scene in Captain Ron, "we have no refrigeration".
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 18:58   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I would not want to dampen your sprit, but think of the scene in Captain Ron, "we have no refrigeration".

I don't get it?

However on the buried at sea and not embalmed, I have no idea of the validity and am sure it varies by State, but I took a class many years ago and it was brought up that everyone will be embalmed, whether you are then cremated or whatever.
It was a Government class and I think the point was to show how much power lobbying groups have, apparently the embalmers lobbying group had that law passed.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 19:08   #52

Boat: Seafarer36c

I thought you were going cruising? How are they going to get your dead body back to DC? You would need to be pretty valuable to get airlifted back from El Salvador or where ever.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 19:21   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Do what you and your mother want.

The gummint has no business being in your business.

Agreed.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 19:42   #54

Boat: Coast 30

What a morbid subject? The original post is obviously about the regulations in the USA. Who knew that the EPA even attempted this? Which perhaps posses the question do other countries have similar attempts to regulate?

With a world population of over seven billion who all will die some day the human race has it seems developed into a huge bio hazard. Back a few hundred years ago Socially recognized important people were buried in elaborate tombs in Abby's, Cathedrals, and churches. When that took up too much space. The floors and walls became the eternal resting place of Lords, Ladies, and Royalty. For lesser folk it was in the grave yard outside. Now most of the grave yards are closed to new burials. At a church yard in Surrey England they Bulldozed the grave yard to make a car park. So much for the inflated value of real estate?

Thus in recent years cremation has become the most popular economical option. Hence this discussion as to what to do with the burnt and ground up bone? Obviously there is an aversion to any acceptance of this being regulated?

So where will all this end? Well now the green revolution advocates are those who are concerned about global warming and air pollution. They have been considering how much natural gas and oxygen has to be burnt to dispose of Seven Billion bodies. So is the Alkaline hydrolysis process going to be made the government regulated method to dispose of you when you have died?

But wait! Even this may become superseded by a process being developed in Norway? Promession – Ecological burial Check this one out?

I suppose there will always be mariners with the historical interest who would prefer to be stitched up in sail canvas with an Iron cannon ball at their feet. Who would want to be slipped off a board, over the side from under a flag. Last stitch through the nose optional!
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 20:17   #55

Quote:
However on the buried at sea and not embalmed, I have no idea of the validity and am sure it varies by State, but I took a class many years ago and it was brought up that everyone will be embalmed, whether you are then cremated or whatever.
In NC, the law does not require embalming and one can be buried on private land with the permission of the land owner. My family just prepaid for a cremation in Alabama, and for the price, I can't believe embalming was covered. I have not heard of our deceased family membesr being embalmed prior to being cremated here in NC.

Kinda interesting when I Googled "NC burial" google suggested "NC burial laws".

It is unreal that the EPA has regulations for the spreading of ashes. The regulation prohibit spreading cremated pet remains and having a viking burning boat funeral is forbidden as well.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 20:55   #56

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalexplorer View Post
But wait! Even this may become superseded by a process being developed in Norway? Promession – Ecological burial Check this one out?
Central Florida, near Gainesville there is a green burial cemetery. No embalming, no vaults and no metal caskets allowed. It is preferred the deceased is wrapped in a shroud and placed in the earth to return to dust.

Home - Prairie Creek Conservation Cemetery...

Been around for years but not highly publicized.
Old 09-06-2017, 20:56   #57
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Dave,

My mother will die 'within weeks' according to the medical professionals. She was a huge flyfishing person and has asked to be cremated and asked to be put in her favorite fly fishing stream.

We are going to do it for her. I had an 'off the record' discussion with the crematorium, and they said to just go ahead, so long as they officially dont know.

We got a quite nice urn carved out of rock salt - drop in water and it dissolves.
I think your mother's wish is cool!

I enjoyed fly fishing in the California rivers, and can imagine how nice it would be to be part of that environment, especially as she enjoyed the stream and fishing so much. She becomes part of something she loved.

I also like the dissolving urn idea.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:11   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorzech View Post
My view is why burn a 50 gallon drum of toxic fuel oil to cremate a body when it would be more beneficial just to toss the corpse overboard to the creatures of the deep. Everything that sinks into the ocean disappears and is recycled back into the environment. That's the way I'd like to end my days, at least making my final contribution to this planet.
Much better to burn that same fuel to haul the body off shore and teach sharks that humans are tasty?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:12   #59

I've always joked about casting her ashes into the keel.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:35   #60

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorzech View Post
Bloated bodies coming to the surface scares people.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote