Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2009, 10:19   #1

Boat: Pearson Triton 28'6" S/V Alcyone
Send a message via Yahoo to TritonSailor
Should I Document the Boat

Good day Everyone,

I will be cruising outside the US and checking into foreign ports, should I document my Triton or just stick with a state registration? I searched around but only found something about an expired cruising permit. I never heard of something like that, is that required also?

Thanks,

Jeff

"If one does not know to which port is sailing, no wind is favorable."
TritonSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 10:35   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
most of us only document our boats because the banks won't give a mortgage without it. otherwise, I'm hard pressed to see where it's worth the expense.
Old 20-08-2009, 10:42   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
Jeff,
for foreign cruising in a US vessel. you should get it documented, its free from the USCG vessel documentation centre. most foreign countries will require a natioanlly documented vessel and will possibly not accept state registration. tHe cruising permit is for foreign flagged vessels cruising the USA, and is also free. ( Rhosyn Mor is currently in the USA on such a permit)
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 10:42   #4

Some port officials will give you a look of "are you kidding" with a state reg. It doesn't mean anything to them if you don't have that doc #
Finditsurfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 10:46   #5

Boat: a sailing boat
Hi,

Yes, you need proper documents for the boat. They are different for each country, in my case this is a little booklet with nice seals and stamps that states that my boat is registered in (Sweden), that I am the owner and which gives the basics of the boat (LOA,beam, engine, etc). In some countries you will be also asked for your boat's insurance, even before they ask you for your registration papers.

Accidentally, I have the ("state" or "small" - in my case it is a yacht club registration) registration papers too, but it is not accepted outside Scandinavia. The same may apply to US State registration, UK SSR, Australian State and similar devices. They are often OK just across the border by reciprocal agreements (say US vs. Canada) but further out you need the proper thing.

It does not mean you cannot go without, but it is simply not worth it.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 12:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhosyn Mor
for foreign cruising in a US vessel. you should get it documented, its free from the USCG vessel documentation centre.
Free? Not quite. Current cost is $133 for initial documentation. Renewal is then free each year.

Details here... USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, Home Page
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 13:07   #7

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
I am finding that I can't get my boat documented because its to small. I have not yet found a work around for. If I can't get documented do I have to stay home? The boat has already been all over the western pacific, how did the past owner do it without documentation?...........m
Old 20-08-2009, 13:13   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Free? Not quite. Current cost is $133 for initial documentation. Renewal is then free each year.

Details here... USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, Home Page
I stand corrected.

by the by the UK SSR is accepted everywhere in the world. Rhosyn Mor is SSR numbered and we have never had a problem. THe SSR was developed because there is no requirement that UK boats need be registered.
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 13:20   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantxsailor View Post
I am finding that I can't get my boat documented because its to small. I have not yet found a work around for. If I can't get documented do I have to stay home? The boat has already been all over the western pacific, how did the past owner do it without documentation?...........m
If your boat's too small to be documented (less than 5 gross tons, as I recall), you should at least sail with your state registration papers and a valid state issued title. A Bill of Sale wouldn't hurt, either. The customs people want to know for sure that you're the owner, so anything you can do to convince them of that fact is in your favor.
Old 20-08-2009, 13:45   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantxsailor View Post
I found this on the USCG web page:

Net tonnage is a measure of a vessel's volume. It should not be confused with the vessel's weight, which may also be expressed in tons. Most vessels more than 25 feet in length will measure five net tons or more. For information about how tonnage is determined, including a web-based interactive form that calculates tonnages, visit the U.S. Coast Guard Marine Safety Center's web site at the Marine Safety Center's Tonnage Page.

So Cantxsailor, what they're saying is that vessels under 25ft are more than likely under 5 tons.

Jeff

Old 20-08-2009, 13:48   #11

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
Mine is, by the calculations they use, under 5 net tons. I have tried various stretching methods but can't seem to get there.

I also don't want to take the chance of loosing my boat because I can't prove to some over zealous local cop that just because he doesn't understand the concept of a title as opposed to a documented boat that it really is mine.............m
Old 20-08-2009, 14:50   #12

I found this as well for you, unless you found it first.

(a) Gross tonnage. (1) Except as in paragraphs (a)(2) through (a)(5) of this section, the gross tonnage of a vessel designed for sailing is one-half of the product of its overall length, overall breadth, and overall depth (LBD) divided by one hundred (i.e., 0.50 LBD/100), and the gross tonnage of a vessel not designed for sailing is 0.67 LBD/100.

Jeff

Old 20-08-2009, 15:44   #13

Boat: Outbound 44
Triton,
If your boat has never been documented, then it is difficult to document a boat as old as yours. It requires tracing the ownership history from new through each owner.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 16:10   #14

Really, I was told by the marina I would need a couple bills of sale. That seems kind of wrong, because that saying then that most older boats can't go to foriegn countries. They must have some kind of waiver.

Jeff

Old 20-08-2009, 16:31   #15

Boat: Outbound 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by TritonSailor View Post
Really, I was told by the marina I would need a couple bills of sale. That seems kind of wrong, because that saying then that most older boats can't go to foriegn countries. They must have some kind of waiver.

Jeff
I checked the documentation site, it looks like they have actually changed that requirement for smaller boats. So it looks like you can document without the full chain. This makes it a lot easier:
Quote:
*Simplified Method. Ownership may be established from state title or state or foreign registration. A copy of the title or registration must be provided WITH the bill(s) of sale from the registered owner to applicant. If the foreign registry is similar to U.S. documentation, provide a copy of the registry and evidence of removal from foreign registry in addition to the bill of sale.

*Simplified method does not apply to Coastwise vessels of over 200 ITC gross tons. In addition to U.S. build evidence, submit the complete chain of title and proof of U.S. citizenship for all past owners. Form MA-899 can be used to establish citizenship and will be provided upon request.
Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote