Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2017, 09:26   #16

Re: Should I sail naked?

If you sail naked, it will save money on doing laundry!!��
Get a hold of Reece Palley’s book. Forgot the name but a great read.
Lapaloma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 09:30   #17

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982

Whatever you decide for your insurance coverage, do carefully read the navigation limits in the quote you receive. One of the respondents mentioned BoatUS insurance (which is underwritten by GEICO Marine Insurance). Having our own policy due for renewal and our boat back from Mexico, I looked into switching to BoatUS insurance to get competitive pricing. I received their quote for my boat ('82 Cal 39 MRKIII) and it was about half of what my current policy was charging. However, the BoatUS coverage only extended to include US territorial limits (which is 12nm from the shore). When queried to confirm that limit, a clear 'yes' or 'no' answer was not forthcoming. Modifying navigational limits with my current insurer (Markel American Insurance Co.) to include the waters between Rio Santo Tomas (just south of Ensenada, MX) to the Canadian border was in line with the charges from BoatUS. There was no off-shore limit listed on this quote, so I called the agent to clarify why that was missing. I was told for foreign coverage, Markel routinely includes off-shore limits which are usually set at 200nm and written into the policy. For domestic coastal policies, this off-shore limit is not memorialized in the policy. Asked specifically what the limit would be to insure coverage, the agent indicated the limit of 200nm is what is considered a reasonable off-shore limit to this policy. Having a 12-mile limit for a coastal cruising limit along the Pacific coast, IMHO an unreasonably narrow boundary for safe coastwise passage.
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 09:35   #18

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

First off DO NOT CALL BOATUS for insurance.... Call GEICO direct. If you have contributing business such as auto coverage that may help as well.

The alternative is to call whomever you have your auto or home owners insurance with, shop around.

Know that BOATUS markup the normal quote from GEICO. If you call BoatUS for a quote first it will show up and be locked in at GEICO.

Let us know how you make out please.
Old 21-10-2017, 12:00   #19

Boat: Hans Christian 41 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
What has Sailing Naked got to do with Boat Insurance?
You are welcome to sail naked around me anytime. LOL
Yeah; different expectations...a tad disappointed really.
Old 21-10-2017, 13:25   #20

Boat: 1984 Merit 25

Pardon my questionable attempt, but...

I say sail naked! Whenever I sail naked, insurance is the farthest thing from my mind!

I'm just sayin'...

And thank you all, for allowing me to make this statement on a thread of such significance.

Ok, now I'll await my thrashing, and endure.

Aarrrgh!
Aaarrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 14:19   #21

Insurace conditions are rediculous. Further from the coast you are the safer you are. The most dangerous thing at sea is the land.
Get third party only. This will leave you extra money for maintenance.
Desertroseii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 15:19   #22

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
Years ago when I sailed to Mexico I had a policy that was like that. 75 miles from the US coast. I figured it was a loophole they hadnt closed. But they still do that huh?
Been so long I thought I better check, exact wording is:
Quote:

A coastal navigation limit applies to this policy. Unless you pay a premium for Coastal Navigation Limit coverage, you are not covered for losses that occur more than 75 nautical miles from the coast of the United States or Canada or for losses
that occur in any territory or territorial waters of any country other than the United States or Canada.
I've only spoken with one friend about it and his policy is similar so I'd assumed it was pretty common. Are there other limits common to coastal coverage policies ?
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 16:34   #23

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Good thread.
Looking forward to more experienced answers
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 17:01   #24

Boat: Alberg 35

FWIW - I have an Allstate policy for my boat. They're very reasonable and in the past 25 years I've had one claim and their adjuster was very helpful at finding a supplier for the parts I needed at a much lower cost than I expected. Their rates are about 1/3 or 1/2 of what I was quoted by BoatUS or similar marine insurers. State Farm (who has my cars and house) is also reasonable with their rates, but they will not insure a boat older than 10 years -- company policy. If you're a United States Power Squadron member, they also have an arrangement with an insurance company to get a group rate. In my case, it's less than BoatUS, but more than Allstate.

For the record, I do qualify for some significant discounts because of my certifications - USPS Full Certificate holder as well as USCG 100 Ton Master.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruising this winter! I'll be thinking of you as we shovel snow here in upstate New York!

Tom
alley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 17:07   #25

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

I have a Seawind catamaran, insured by Foremost. Foremost has some ambiguous language about offshore coverage - I think it's limit is US "coastal" waters or something. Plus they cover the Bahamas - but only up to 30 days in the Bahamas. We went to Bahamas last year and spent three months there. Prior to hopping offshore in Florida, I called BoatUS on the phone and got a policy that covered us for US and Bahamas. When I got back to states, I cancelled that policy. At the time, my Foremost policy was about $1200 per year, and the BoatUS policy a little over $3000. One thing I made a mistake on though was cancelling the Foremost policy for the four-month period I was insured by BoatUS. Foremost has a declining deductible feature on their policy that you earn with time, and the cancel period started me all over again.

Oh, and the Seawind is a multihull. BoatUS had no problem covering. So not sure why someone says no multihulls with BoatUS.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 17:10   #26

Boat: 40' Maine Cat

If you do decide to sail naked - don't cook bacon.
jdaltonpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 17:22   #27

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

"" State Farm (who has my cars and house) is also reasonable with their rates, but they will not insure a boat older than 10 years -- company policy.""\

State Farm also has my other insurance and they insure my boat built in 1986.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 18:02   #28

Boat: 55 fleming

Check with Brown and Brown marine Ft. Lauderdale Fl.
wesevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 09:43   #29

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuttingDoctor View Post
First off DO NOT CALL BOATUS for insurance.... Call GEICO direct.
Know that BOATUS markup the normal quote from GEICO. If you call BoatUS for a quote first it will show up and be locked in at GEICO.
This wasn't my experience. Just switched to BoatUS/Geico in July. I quoted both of them (along with several other carriers), and found that the BoatUS quote was just a tad lower than Geico, and with slightly better policy terms as well. Agreed value, replacement cost on partial losses, and while the coverage area is "coastal waters", there is no mileage limit started.

Point being, while they might not be your best option, I would definitely give them a call.

BTW - my experience when I quoted them on my last boat 5-6 years ago was completely different. They were sky high then. But very competitive and good policy terms this time.
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 10:19   #30

Boat: Alubat Cigale 16m

+1 on Chubb. Over the years they have never been the cheapest but they treat you like they are on the same side of the table as you when you need to claim. I am happy to pay a premium for that comfort.

Unfortunately, my boat in STT is not covered by Chubb as it was under the fleet contract and so not exactly sure what to expect in terms of service. But will be happy to recommend them also if the claims experience is as good.....
Telesail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail