Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2019, 18:30   #16

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Shutting down AIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Same here, my AIS is either on or off.

SE Asia is an area where personal security is a normal part of life in certain areas.
What brand AIS? Most class B AIS's have two wires available on one of the connectors that can be taken to an external switch that controls TX on or off. In addition this can be controlled by software, such as proAIS that is used with a lot of class B's.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:35   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
What brand AIS? Most class B AIS's have two wires available on one of the connectors that can be taken to an external switch that controls TX on or off. In addition this can be controlled by software, such as proAIS that is used with a lot of class B's.
Mine is a Vesper XB-8000
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:53   #18
rla

Just because the AIS is not powered or on doesn't mean it's not sending your position !!
We found this out recently when taking the micky out of some friends.
Our set was not on or powered but about a mile after leaving our berth the signal was on Marinetraffic, and we had a phone call asking us where we were going, from a friend we were out to surprise.
I guess it's an anti theft addition which we have not found a reference to in the manual.
Look at Vigilant and Valiant on AIS. British patrol craft, The one off Dover was at Ramsgate and the other was in Greece !!
rla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:10   #19

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Mine is a Vesper XB-8000
The XB-8000 has a brown wire that can be run to a switch and used to either: a) run in silent mode, or b) silence the alarm.

Installation guide also says "Silent Mode can also be controlled over USB and WiFi*."

You can also turn off AIS transmitting with the WatchMate app: https://www2.vespermarine.com/watchmate. We use this a lot for anchor watch feature.

So the XB-8000 has several ways to switch to silent mode. On my own installation, I am using the switch to silence the alarm. In US and Bahamian waters, I don't have any need to run in silent mode, and rather like that others can see me. And yes, I realize that not everyone has AIS. We also have 4G radar.

Not affiliated with the company. BUt had the XB-8000 on previous Seawind and this new boat as well, and super happy with it.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:17   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
IFOM MA-500TR. It integrates with my SH VHF.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:53   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
IFOM MA-500TR. It integrates with my SH VHF.
I saw this on thread
Quote:
Interestingly, there is also a way to turn the transmitter off and on, which is not in the manual--press the left and right buttons together.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...yet-54068.html
Old 04-11-2019, 05:55   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rla View Post
Just because the AIS is not powered or on doesn't mean it's not sending your position !!
We found this out recently when taking the micky out of some friends.
Our set was not on or powered but about a mile after leaving our berth the signal was on Marinetraffic, and we had a phone call asking us where we were going, from a friend we were out to surprise.
I guess it's an anti theft addition which we have not found a reference to in the manual.
Look at Vigilant and Valiant on AIS. British patrol craft, The one off Dover was at Ramsgate and the other was in Greece !!
Huh, if the power to the transponder is off, it can't transmit.
Maybe you have a serparate transponder and display, and you powered down the display only.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:09   #23

Boat: a sailing boat

It is actually US navy ships that are known for ramming into other boats WAY MORE OFTEN than any Ruskie or Asian cargo! Google some, read some.

In fact, very few ships switch their AIS off, maybe possibly some in the coastal scenarios around Africa or Middle East? And how many sailing boats cruise there? TWO?

I think it is a minor concern.

Note some sailing craft switch their AIS too. We got nearly rammed by a Maxi Tri being delivered for a trans Atlantic speed record attempt. French crew, probably pro racing sailors.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:32   #24

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I’m not convinced. My AIS does not have a “dark” mode so it’s on or off.
Quote:
Same here, my AIS is either on or off.
I have never seen an AIS that does not have the capacity to run silent. What I have seen is installations where the installer did not put in a switch to take advantage of that capability. Check the installation guide for your device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
It is actually US navy ships that are known for ramming into other boats WAY MORE OFTEN than any Ruskie or Asian cargo! Google some, read some.
The several collisions between USN warships and commercial ships in the 7th Fleet have led to a policy change by the US Navy. Instead of AIS default off the default is on. Decision to turn off AIS transmissions must be logged and justified. It's getting better.

There are still chain of command, training, and fatigue issues.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:55   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Huh, if the power to the transponder is off, it can't transmit.
Maybe you have a serparate transponder and display, and you powered down the display only.

AIS does not use a "transponder", it uses a transmitter and receiver.
(A transponder is a device that transmits a different signal when it receives a signal. It is portmanteau word made up from transmitter + responder). Although many manufacturers do incorrectly call their devices transponders.

In some devices the transmitter and receiver are in one box ( a transceiver). In others, they are two separate units which are wired independently.

But your concept is correct. They probably turned their receiver/display off. If the transmitter was powered off, it couldn't be transmitting.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:45   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
AIS does not use a "transponder", it uses a transmitter and receiver.
(A transponder is a device that transmits a different signal when it receives a signal. It is portmanteau word made up from transmitter + responder). Although many manufacturers do incorrectly call their devices transponders.

In some devices the transmitter and receiver are in one box ( a transceiver). In others, they are two separate units which are wired independently.

But your concept is correct. They probably turned their receiver/display off. If the transmitter was powered off, it couldn't be transmitting.
Yep, transceiver is better terminology.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:31   #27

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Yep, transceiver is better terminology.
I have always thought so....

And yet 'transponder' is the word used..... even by manufacturers..

https://www2.vespermarine.com

I was sent a message once.... which turned up on the AIS display... when entering port limits at Mejillones of all the most unlikely places... welcoming me to the port... so upon their transponder receiving my transmission it responded..
Old 05-11-2019, 18:34   #28
Marine Service Provider

I've never seen an AIS that consists of a separate receiver and transmitter box. Can't imagine how that works since transmission timing and payload is dependent on received data.

BTW: We vacillated a bit with the transceiver/transponder terminology some years ago. But ultimately we decided to also call it a transponder and probably for the same reason as others. The reasoning is something probably most people don't know... your AIS automatically responds to a variety of remote commands which interrogate its status and position as well as change certain parameters such as frequencies, reporting rates, etc. So that along with using received data to determine when/what to transmit fits with the widely accepted description of the device.
jeffrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 00:55   #29

Boat: Lightwave 45

"your AIS automatically responds to a variety of remote commands which interrogate its status and position as well as change certain parameters such as frequencies, reporting rates, etc."

Really??
Remote commands from who/what?
I was under the impression that it only worked out an appropriate time-slot to broadcast its message, then sent that message blindly, with no *interrogation* by someone or something else.
Please, enlighten me.

Tim
Karanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:09   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karanga View Post
"your AIS automatically responds to a variety of remote commands which interrogate its status and position as well as change certain parameters such as frequencies, reporting rates, etc."

Really??
Remote commands from who/what?
I was under the impression that it only worked out an appropriate time-slot to broadcast its message, then sent that message blindly, with no *interrogation* by someone or something else.
Please, enlighten me.

Tim
Tim
Do a search on AIS Base Station. The landbased stations can send directives to the shipborne units concerning channels to be used in tbe area , DGNS updates, etc.

Tags
ais