Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2020, 07:58   #16

Boat: Island Packet 349
Re: Skipper cited for violation of rule 9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I mean, imagine if we allowed people to drive cars on public roads without first learning things like, stay to the right, red light means stop, and so on!
The overwhelming majority of drivers in the USA break traffic laws on a permanent basis, constantly. How does it help me knowing that they are all licensed?
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 08:04   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I agree that a license is not going to fix stupid. On the other hand, at least we would know that, at some point along the way, the boat operator had learned the basic rules of the road.
Exactly. Some sort of boating card ensures that the holder has had to learn something about boating safety and rules at least once.

A licence won't fix stupid, but it does help address ignorance, which is the bigger problem.

About a year ago I was guest crew on a lovely 36' cruiser, sailing around the eastern end of L Ontario visiting ports in both Ontario and NY (won't be doing that this year ). We saw quite a number of big ships. They really do come on fast if you're not used to them. We stayed well clear, and made sure to cross the charted shipping lanes quickly.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 08:19   #18

Boat: Ranger Tug, R-27

We tried for many years to get a mandatory boater's education bill passed in the Utah Legislature. Had a House member sponsor it and every year is was shot down by other legislators.
Their reasoning: "I've been boating for 20+ years and don't need a license".
They would have passed it IF they were exempted from having to get the license or if the bill was written to exclude less than 25 HP.
These are the ones that need the training and education most.
I don't think we will ever see this in Utah and that is a shame.
Trawler2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 08:24   #19

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

Should have made the Darwin Awards. That is messed up. A 25 foot maybe travels 5.5 knots. Tanker- 10-12 knots. I don't want to pick winners but that is a gimme. Unfortunately, there is only one way to fix stupid. Just hope he/she doesn't take anyone with them.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 08:36   #20

Boat: Grand Banks Aleutian 64

Two years of traveling the Caribbean. No incidents, not even close. Come back to Florida and can’t get through the Port Everglades Channel before what might have been a collision.

As I am motoring to the initial channel marker there is a 55’ recreational fishing boat. Hanging out and fishing within a hundred feet of the marker. He is moving erratically while two persons off the back of the boat were fishing. As I approached he was on my port side and was backing away from the marker. I assumed he saw me and was affording me adequate room. Suddenly he started drifting forward into my path. 5 short blasts of my horn twice to get his attention did little but raise his ire. My port side cleared his bow by about 50’.

What was he doing hanging in the channel fishing? I assume that he thought because he was fishing he had right of way in all situations. It is difficult to give fishing boats that motor swiftly and erratically plenty of room given no predictability of the path associated with their 30-40 knots.

Most of my angst in the water is caused by recreational fishing boats. I am curious if any members have had similar experience.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 08:46   #21

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Seems to be most common among racing sailors...during a race, pressing your right-of-way over other boats often is more important than actually sailing fast but they seem to have a difficult time adjusting to normal operations after the race is over.
I don't know about anywhere else, but I know that under the racing rules used by most YCs in San Francisco Bay any race boat that gets a 5 whistle signal from a passing ship is AUTOMATICALLY disqualified.

Kind of dis-incentivizes aggressive rule breaking around big ship traffic.
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 08:52   #22

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

A license doesn't regulate willful stupidity or entitlement.
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 09:17   #23

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Seems to be most common among racing sailors...during a race, pressing your right-of-way over other boats often is more important than actually sailing fast but they seem to have a difficult time adjusting to normal operations after the race is over.

Like this guy?

Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 09:35   #24

Boat: Pearson 10M

by biggest complaint as a sailer (33' sloop) is large power cruisers passing too close and not minding their wake. I'm talking about 3-4' of wake and passing less than 100' away. At times on both sides.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 09:43   #25

There is a prescribed "pecking order" among vessels and those "constrained by draft" or "restricted in ability to maneuver" have the right of way.
Pleasure boats are far down the list.
Every boater should look at the Navigation Rules.
Old 13-05-2020, 09:44   #26

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrj33 View Post
by biggest complaint as a sailer (33' sloop) is large power cruisers passing too close and not minding their wake. I'm talking about 3-4' of wake and passing less than 100' away. At times on both sides.

As a powerboater it also drives me crazy how many people I see paying no attention to their wake. Either passing close to other boats while plowing along at maximum wake speed, getting closer than they need to, etc. I always try to give as much space as possible, drop off plane if necessary, and I'll often trim down to flatten my wake in exchange for a slightly lower speed as well.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 09:48   #27

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I'll agree there's plenty of stupidity, and entitlement, to go around. Power and sail.

But on the subject of required boater education, a couple of points:

The goal of basic boater education is to let people know there ARE rules on the water. I've taught these classes, and I'm happy if everyone leaves knowing that there are a lot of rules they don't know. It's the ones who think they know it all, and don't have to follow any rules, who scare me.

Unsolicited comments from students in these classes are overwhelmingly positive. Almost everyone goes away feeling they really learned something. That's also a good thing.

Finally, be careful what you ask for. A license is a revenue-generating program which will expand infinitely for as long as the government sees it as a way to get funds from an underrepresented minority ("wealthy boaters.")

A boater education requirement is a once-in-a-lifetime thing. No renewals, no annual fees, no way for the government to squeeze a few more precious dollars out of anyone.

Language is important. Advocate for education, not licensing.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 09:51   #28

rslifkin,
On inland waters the biggest complaint by rangers, other boaters is the constant violation of the speed and proximity rule which varies from state to state.
In Utah is it 150', within that distance from another vessel you must pass at a wakeless speed. Hardly ever followed unfortunately,
Old 13-05-2020, 09:51   #29

Boat: Alerion Express 28

Does anyone recall an incident years ago in the SF Big Boat Series where a sail boat (called Secret Love?) crossed a tanker's bow and was fined $5000? Should also mention that a tanker will give you five horns (after the first horn is disregarded). If that doesn't get your attention, then Darwin's law will apply.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 09:52   #30

Boat: 41 HUNTER AC

I agree that stupid is stupid.
For a funny - I entered the Navy in 1955 and 1957 was assigned to the USS BREMERTON, a heavy Cruiser, and on our way into San Diego I was on the Helm with the Captain beside me on the horn with a small Sail Boat ahead cutting in front of us. My comment to the Captain was "This is going to be close Sir" his comment was HE WON'T FEEL A THING.
RONHARDIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rule, skipper