Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2020, 19:57   #121

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36
Re: Skipper cited for violation of rule 9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingchiro View Post
Should have made the Darwin Awards. That is messed up. A 25 foot maybe travels 5.5 knots. Tanker- 10-12 knots. I don't want to pick winners but that is a gimme. Unfortunately, there is only one way to fix stupid. Just hope he/she doesn't take anyone with them.
I don’t think 10-12 knots is recommended in a such narrow channel with such a ship...
Old 18-05-2020, 20:23   #122

Boat: Ranger Tug, R-27

refuge,
Common sense has left the building with a lot of boaters.
They leave there brains at home when they hook up the boat trailer.
Trawler2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 20:29   #123

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
I don’t think 10-12 knots is recommended in a such narrow channel with such a ship...
"The maximum speed for all ocean-going craft shall not exceed 10 miles per hour above the lower end of New York Slough, seven miles per hour above Criminal Point, or five miles per hour while passing any wharf, dock, or moored craft." (above that of the current, that is)

I ran across this short article about taking a ship up to Stockton: From San Francisco to Stockton, up the river with style - Professional Mariner - December/January 2011
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 23:25   #124

I agree fully. A license won't help me, but I got one anyway. Small commercial up north here awhile back in a 40 hour class. The instructor showed many colorful videos of nautical mishap and collision. We live and we learn. I've learned that when a skipper screws up(me included) they'd rather be the first to talk about it even it's days later.
MarathonJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 01:36   #125

Boat: Venture ketch 14.7m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
If someone's gonna do what they are gonna do, a license wont change it. licensed DUI happen all the time.
....whilst I see what you are getting at....could you imagine what the roads would be like if they decided that a drivers licence wasn't necessary?
aqua de vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 09:01   #126

Boat: 43' Albin Sundeck

I saw this when it was posted on gCaptain and thought the same thing, where is the requirement to have some boating knowledge/experience before you buy a boat.

IF you want to buy a car you generally need to have taken a class and to take and pass the test at the end. Then you need insurance. Why have they not done this with boats? I guess someone high up the political chain needs to experience a death before there is a push to licensing.

I have taught the USCGA Safe Boating Class and that doesn't get too deep either. I was chastised during a class from higher up CG COC for going into too great a depth in the class where an old CG retired guy, who would also teach, would bring in slides and an old PFD and ramble during his segment.

Maybe someday, just maybe there will be a step licensing system. Take a basic course, you get a boat to 18', 6HP motor. Take the next class, you move up in size. Could be patterned after vehicle licensing. You don't get to move from a car to a truck w/o licensing.
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 09:45   #127

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
But don't ya know all sailboats have right of way?

Seriously, I hear this ALL the time. I've seen sailing school instructors telling this to their young students, and encouraging them to press that "right" in a busy commercial harbor.
I agree with you. I have lived and sailed in many countries and this misbelief that sailboats can have "right" of way with respect to anything other than a racing sailboat is almost exclusive of the US. That misbelief can be bad for sailors in the end.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 15:33   #128

Boat: Horstman Tri-Star45 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
But don't ya know all sailboats have right of way?
Just last week I overheard an exchange on VHF 16 between a large freighter and a sailor who didn't realize he was violating a VTS shipping lane. He didn't really even seem to understand what it was, or what those lines on his chart meant. ....

I had a math professor in San Diego who kept a framed copy of the ticket he got from the Harbor Police after he got his sailboat run over by an aircraft carrier. Their 40' deep channel -- the only place in the Bay that is deep enough for them to maneuver -- is clearly marked on the chart, but he was a newbie and running on hearsay and chutzpah. Then he joined an elite club for the sadder but wiser.
Old 19-05-2020, 16:49   #129

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
I agree with you. I have lived and sailed in many countries and this misbelief that sailboats can have "right" of way with respect to anything other than a racing sailboat is almost exclusive of the US. That misbelief can be bad for sailors in the end.
What surprises me is the number of forum members who still hold that belief despite the number of times it has been debunked here. Even going so far as to maintain their attitude and espouse it (along with the "law of tonnage") to other members after having the error of their ways. clearly pointed out.

The phrase "ultracrepidarian mumpsimus" comes to mind
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 12:37   #130

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
Add to that sailboaters telling me that "tacking isn't changing course".
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 14:09   #131

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcruz99801 View Post
I had a math professor in San Diego who kept a framed copy of the ticket he got from the Harbor Police after he got his sailboat run over by an aircraft carrier. Their 40' deep channel -- the only place in the Bay that is deep enough for them to maneuver -- is clearly marked on the chart, but he was a newbie and running on hearsay and chutzpah. Then he joined an elite club for the sadder but wiser.
Right from the start of our sailing lives we chose to institute what we call the tonnage rule, this just means get the hell out of the way of the big guys...
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 16:49   #132

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu Club View Post
Right from the start of our sailing lives we chose to institute what we call the tonnage rule, this just means get the hell out of the way of the big guys...

After 130 posts in this thread alone, you still get someone who proudly states that they ignore COLREGs and make up their own rules
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 18:09   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
After 130 posts in this thread alone, you still get someone who proudly states that they ignore COLREGs and make up their own rules
Lighten up Stu, if you don’t understand that we stay away from the big ships purposefully, and state as much in a light hearted fashion then it’s you who have the problem. We follow the rules of the road, and make an extra effort to stay out from in front of the big ships, how is it you have a problem with that?

Fair winds,
Old 27-05-2020, 05:34   #134

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu Club View Post
Lighten up Stu, if you don’t understand that we stay away from the big ships purposefully, and state as much in a light hearted fashion then it’s you who have the problem. We follow the rules of the road, and make an extra effort to stay out from in front of the big ships, how is it you have a problem with that?

Fair winds,
To be fair, there's a big difference between "stay out of the way" and "get out of the way", and when you refer to things like "tonnage rule" it makes it a reasonable assumption that you might not understand the actual Rules. Lighthearted or not, it's better to discourage sloppy terms and misinformation, as newbies to boating use this forum for their education.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 06:25   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
To be fair, there's a big difference between "stay out of the way" and "get out of the way", and when you refer to things like "tonnage rule" it makes it a reasonable assumption that you might not understand the actual Rules. Lighthearted or not, it's better to discourage sloppy terms and misinformation, as newbies to boating use this forum for their education.
The big smile grin emoji, and stating we stay away from the big ships is construed as going rouge? Stating that one stays a healthy distance from shipping vessels is just basic sound advice. Anyways, like most threads hear they deteriorate to the point of being circle arguments after a page or two...

Fair winds,

Tags
rule, skipper