Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2010, 14:24   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Small Passenger Boat

Hello I know this isn't really a cruising question per se but it does apply to boats so here goes: I will be running a small passenger this winter and am wondering where I can find some information. I am looking for a distilled version of some of the regulations and safety requirements the we need aboard. I have poked around the CG site but it is bureaucratic at best and the CFR is worse. We will be carrying up to 22 passengers. The vessel is already inspected but I just want to make sure we have everything we need and keep up to day.

Things I am curious about are: Number of fire extinguishers, logbook keeping (do we need to keep a radio log vs a regular ships log), Epirb requirements, life raft requirements, drilling schedules, crew requirements...all that stuff.

What I am not really interested in are people answering these questions themselves, there is so much speculation around this stuff. I really need it from the horses mouth. If you are a horse then I will take an answer but what I am really looking for is a link to a resource. Thanks guys.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 14:43   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Hello I know this isn't really a cruising question per se but it does apply to boats so here goes: I will be running a small passenger this winter and am wondering where I can find some information. I am looking for a distilled version of some of the regulations and safety requirements the we need aboard. I have poked around the CG site but it is bureaucratic at best and the CFR is worse. We will be carrying up to 22 passengers. The vessel is already inspected but I just want to make sure we have everything we need and keep up to day.

Things I am curious about are: Number of fire extinguishers, logbook keeping (do we need to keep a radio log vs a regular ships log), Epirb requirements, life raft requirements, drilling schedules, crew requirements...all that stuff.

What I am not really interested in are people answering these questions themselves, there is so much speculation around this stuff. I really need it from the horses mouth. If you are a horse then I will take an answer but what I am really looking for is a link to a resource. Thanks guys.
Helps to know what the operation is.... Ferry... day tripper/dolphin watching... overnight cruises.... each has their own similar but seperate requirements..
Offhand with what info to hand...
Insurance.... Vessel/Liability, company will advise on millions cover..
1 floatation vest/passenger + crew.
Life bouys
Liferafts for max persons on board passengers+crew.
VHF Radio..... 2 handhelds.
EPIRB.
Flares.
Fire extinguishers.
Minimum 1 crew member qualified in first aid at sea.
Skipper with current licence for operating passenger vessel in that area.

But then thats in the UK....

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 14:45   #3

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran
Hi Unbusted.If your intention is to take paying passengers ,where you wrote about your vessel as already been inspected,to operate commercially you will have to have your vessel put in survey and until you aquire all the items they list for to get and or install you wont get your vessel registered.If you want a list of safety equipment for general sailing purposes you can refer via internet to you local maritime authority where they list minimum requirments for boating safety items also note for offshore sailing the list is more extensive.Happy boating Geoff.
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 16:17   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Other then having your 100 ton certs here is the PA site for regs.

Pennsylvania Boating Handbook

Here's the one for Maine......... which you didn't mention.

http://www.boater101.com/Course/docu...Estatelaws.pdf
Old 18-11-2010, 04:41   #5

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 41
Send a message via Skype™ to Kijit
First off, since it is 22 passengers, it will be CG inspected. Look at the Certificate of Inspection (COI), which must be posted on the vessel, and it will tell you a great deal (where you can go, how many crew and what qualifications, how many passengers, etc.) The rest of the info will be codified in the CFR, Title 46, as that is the "horse's mouth". What you need to carry on board (life saving equipment, radio capability, etc.) depends on the navigation limits of where you can carry passengers (as stated in the vessel's COI). You can look at what the CG looks for in an inspection at this link:

USCG: Passenger Vessel Safety Program - Small Passenger Vessel
Kijit is offline   Reply With Quote