Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 00:34   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: speed limit in woods hole?

I've noted out here, that power boaters are mostly unaware of their wake, or they bought into the romantic idea of it, shown on sales films. I think many have no idea at all how anti-social they are being.

One time on Sydney Harbour, we saw two guys in a little sailing dinghy actually washed overboard by one such wash. Of course, we rendered assistance, but it really needn't have happened. It seems to me, sometimes, as if quite a large number of people just plain don't pay attention.

Rant over.

Ann
Old 01-08-2017, 02:13   #17

Boat: Leopard 39

I sailed those waters years ago. Overall, I find most skippers courteous and mindful of the rules. There will always be a few jerks among us, and it's upsetting because they actually place lives in jeopardy. I give them "danger" blasts with a boat horn, but they probably don't even know what I'm trying to convey. A securite call is certainly warranted, but don't let things like this ruin your day. I encounter far more jerks on the road than I do on the water, and I feel proud of that.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:13   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
When I see them slowing way down to give me a slow pass, if traffic allows, I cut back to idle and let them get on by in a hurry so they can be on their way.
However many times I have wanted a paint ball gun. Coming into Stuart Fl one Sportfisher came real close by me and wakes me so bad it threw water over my side. Name of the boat is Heavy Metal II.
Guess who is just a few slips down from me at the Marina? Still wondering what I should say to him, or if saying anything would only make his day.
Maybe the same butt that did it to me, three passes worth, coming into Stuart.
The same bad apple?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:16   #19

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
... I never saw this kind of thing anywhere else.
Happens in Guatemala on the Rio Dulce too. The "Ricos" (rich folk from the capital, very rich) come down on weekends and holidays. They like to drive their big SeaRays around at just below full planning speed...thus creating maximum wake. We call them " Rio Dulce Tsunamis". These sometime reek havoc in the marinas.

My theory is that this is deliberate behavior...especially given that it also maximizes their fuel burn...so they must get something out of it.

At least in the USA you potentially have recourse. I have seen the Coasties in FL chase down and ticket boats for excessive wake. In Guatemala confronting a Rico is likely to get you dead.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 17:22   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Maybe the same butt that did it to me, three passes worth, coming into Stuart.

The same bad apple?

Did you catch the name?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:14   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

^^^^Like if it happens, catch the name with the binos (stabilizing helps), and part of the rego number. Send an e-mail to the harbour master with the data. Put it out over the VHF. Being a sailor doesn't require you to be a victim.

Ann
Old 02-08-2017, 04:05   #22

Boat: Bristol 27

Growing up around narrow creeks 3-5 miles long, the large power boaters pretty much always go ahead and speed up creating huge wakes.

In our teens, we would plan on this when we'd see them coming and use their wakes to get so "air" when water skiing.

It was almost more normal for them to be at cruising speed than not.

It's just something you get used to as pretty much normal and don't think about a whole lot.......
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:55   #23

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Growing up around narrow creeks 3-5 miles long, the large power boaters pretty much always go ahead and speed up creating huge wakes.

In our teens, we would plan on this when we'd see them coming and use their wakes to get so "air" when water skiing.

It was almost more normal for them to be at cruising speed than not.

It's just something you get used to as pretty much normal and don't think about a whole lot.......
Best post of the thread. May not like it but it is reality.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:39   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Did you catch the name?
It was 14yrs. ago and don't recall. My suspicion was that it was a broker demoing a boat. Who makes that many passes, at least three, in that short section of water?
Maybe someone checking out an engine repair.
I just found it comical that you should mention that stretch of water since I recall it and that is the only time I sailed it.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:26   #25
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
2 days ago I passed through woods hole. It is a strait with strong current in massachusetts.

I was making 3 knots over water, and 7 knots over ground. Another boat was sailing (motoring?) against the current the other way, and all was well, we would pass in the crux of the straight where the green bouy was at a 45 degree angle from current.

Just then, behind him, a much larger powerboat, probably 60ft with 3 decks, increases speed from maybe 8 knots to 25 knots or so, passing between us. I have 5 meters on one side to the rocks, and 5 meters on the other side to him. His wake is huge and piles up as it is against the current. This swamps me, burys my bows completely knocks me around and I have to spill my jib to maintain course and not go onto rocks.

I felt like this was an unnecessary danger to me, where I didn't endanger anyone. I don't know why he needed to go 4x faster than the other boat that was going in the same direction.

Is this legal?
I know why he did it --i run a 90 footer
Its really tough for a larger boat to handle in tight channels against a current and if you can get to plan it makes it alot easier and safer

He should not have made his run with the other boat in the channel at the time but i see misjudgements in boating all the time .

How about having a 40' sailboat rush to get to a narrow channel before you that is ebbing at 6 knots only to have him motor down to enjoy the view.
Mean well you are stuck behind him with no water across your rudders
Forces you to use the throttles to control the ship thru Not the safest feeling
"**** happens" a good captain is always ready
Sea Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:12   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

My boat has sailed across oceans. A bit of wake isn't going to hurt her, I'd much rather the MoBos come past at a good clip rather than slow down.

It's the numpties who don't stay on their side of the channel get me wound up.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:12   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sestina View Post
My boat has sailed across oceans. A bit of wake isn't going to hurt her, I'd much rather the MoBos come past at a good clip rather than slow down.

It's the numpties who don't stay on their side of the channel get me wound up.

Are you speaking a skiff or a bay plow?