Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2017, 18:48   #1

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
speed limit in woods hole?

2 days ago I passed through woods hole. It is a strait with strong current in massachusetts.

I was making 3 knots over water, and 7 knots over ground. Another boat was sailing (motoring?) against the current the other way, and all was well, we would pass in the crux of the straight where the green bouy was at a 45 degree angle from current.

Just then, behind him, a much larger powerboat, probably 60ft with 3 decks, increases speed from maybe 8 knots to 25 knots or so, passing between us. I have 5 meters on one side to the rocks, and 5 meters on the other side to him. His wake is huge and piles up as it is against the current. This swamps me, burys my bows completely knocks me around and I have to spill my jib to maintain course and not go onto rocks.

I felt like this was an unnecessary danger to me, where I didn't endanger anyone. I don't know why he needed to go 4x faster than the other boat that was going in the same direction.

Is this legal?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 19:24   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: speed limit in woods hole?

Securite, securite, securite. All vessel in the Woods Hole strait be aware that a large motor vessel named ............ is south bound and operating in a dangerous fashion. captain impairment is suspected.
Old 31-07-2017, 05:10   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
I don't know why he needed to go 4x faster than the other boat that was going in the same direction.
Because he could and like most power boaters making a big wake he was in a big hurry. No different than any other boat making a big wake except sometimes you are in a narrow channel and they are wondering if they can wash you onto the rocks.
Old 31-07-2017, 05:30   #4

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I just lost a computer at anchor in north carolina because of powerboaters knocked waves into my boat. This computer survived both indian ocean, and atlantic ocean crossings.

If it's perfectly legal, then what kind of crap country is the US? It maybe the worst country in the entire world, even worse than new zealand. I never saw this kind of thing anywhere else.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 08:31   #5

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
I just lost a computer at anchor in north carolina because of powerboaters knocked waves into my boat. This computer survived both indian ocean, and atlantic ocean crossings.

If it's perfectly legal, then what kind of crap country is the US? It maybe the worst country in the entire world, even worse than new zealand. I never saw this kind of thing anywhere else.
IT IS AGAINST THE LAW!

Massachusetts Boating Law Summary

"Operating at an excessive speed considering weather conditions, boat traffic, and other hazards."

https://www.usps.org/e_stuff/documen...oating-law.pdf

But I take offense to your calling my country "a crap country and the worst in the world". You are free to pack your crap and leave!

You can't blame a whole country for one idiot! You would have to condemn every country if that were the standard!
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 08:33   #6

Boat: 1989 Morgan-44CP

Boatpoker is correct, Call the coast Guard and report the name of the vessel and its present location and heading. I have seen them stop and board several sport fisher up and down the ICW for "No wake" violations.

jewt
S/V Bifrost.
jewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 09:09   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Probably a case of more money than brains on the wake.

I would agree, the one guy is free to leave. NZ probably doesn't want him either.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 09:22   #8

Boat: ODAY 28

I have had a couple large power boats pass at high speed in the ICW, causing big wakes, however most slow to prevent hitting me with a large wake. just depends on the captain. I have found most respondsible skippers'
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 09:24   #9

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

I have been through Woods Hole Channel maybe half a dozen times and there has always been a Marine Patrol or Coast Guard boat there and they don't hesitate to bust your chops if you are causing problems.

This guy just got away with it plan and simple.
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 09:28   #10

Boat: J/42

My former marina was up a long, narrow, shallow channel. In low-water season, the keel would bump the bottom when I "got waked." The frustrating bit was that the worst wakes come from people courteously slowing down. They actually make a smaller wake zooming by on plane.
Not counting the (devil-spawn) wake-boarding boats designed specifically to throw up big wakes.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 10:13   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
My former marina was up a long, narrow, shallow channel. In low-water season, the keel would bump the bottom when I "got waked." The frustrating bit was that the worst wakes come from people courteously slowing down. They actually make a smaller wake zooming by on plane.
Not counting the (devil-spawn) wake-boarding boats designed specifically to throw up big wakes.
I believe you are speaking of those with good intentions but don't realize coming off at plane at your stern or bow and squatting is worse that staying on top.
Old 31-07-2017, 11:17   #12

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

That talks to the need for boating education and licensing. Any idiot can buy a 50' boat and drive it any way they want. I had to go to schooling to fly airplanes, drive a car, and I have a 100 ton Masters license. You should not be allowed to buy a boat unless you can prove you at least know the ruled of the road.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 13:07   #13

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I believe you are speaking of those with good intentions but don't realize coming off at plane at your stern or bow and squatting is worse that staying on top.
Yup, need to come off sooner and go to complete idle speed, no wake at all.
Old 31-07-2017, 13:35   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Yup, need to come off sooner and go to complete idle speed, no wake at all.
The last gentleman I recall was in the Okeechobee ditch. I heard a couple of big diesels backing down. Far enough back I didn't know he was behind me. I was doing 7 knots and he creeped by me and then lit them up. I hade to say thank you on the radio. A commercial Captain. A head boat, bottom fishing.
Red hull named the Nantucket. Strange name to find in Fla..
Old 31-07-2017, 21:14   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
speed limit in woods hole?

When I see them slowing way down to give me a slow pass, if traffic allows, I cut back to idle and let them get on by in a hurry so they can be on their way.
However many times I have wanted a paint ball gun. Coming into Stuart Fl one Sportfisher came real close by me and wakes me so bad it threw water over my side. Name of the boat is Heavy Metal II.
Guess who is just a few slips down from me at the Marina? Still wondering what I should say to him, or if saying anything would only make his day.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote