Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 08:02   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Spilled fuel?

Hello All:

I'm sure this has never happened to you and for sure it has never happened to me but say for instance you were using one of the original Blitz containers and some how ( I know they are designed not to leak) a bit of fuel leaked and fell into the surrounding water, you know just enought to leave a sheen. What is the best -- meaning environmentally sound -- way to deal with the sheen? I've tried ( I mean I've seen people try) spraying simple green or some other biodegradable cleaner over the sheen. I was wondering if the oil abosrbent pads would work. But then what do you do with a gas soaked rag while on board. Obviously the best thing to do is to not spill anything (and I never have will or do)but what should you do if you see someone else spill?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:23   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Hey Charlie!,
It's illegal to use any sort of dispersant like dish washing soap, simple green etc. What I have done when spilling a little is to take an oil sorb, which floats, and sort of wipe it around the spill using a boat hook. It seems to work okay. At least it seems to alleviate my guilt complex some and makes it look like I put some effort into cleaning up the mess. Larger spills are required to be reported to the Coast Guard....hopefully that never happens!

As far as the dirty oil sorb goes, the fuel docks accept them. If not, stuff them in a plastic bag so you do not have to smell it.

David

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:44   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
David M
Quote:
Larger spills are required to be reported to the Coast Guard....hopefully that never happens!
How do you know when you have to report a spill to the Coast Guard? What is considered "larger"?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:48   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I don't know. There is obviously a gray area to this. If fish are turning belly up, boat owners are mad at you and nobody dares light a cigarette then it is probably time to call the Coasties.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:14   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
I had trouble finding it but I believe that "any" spill that leaves a visible sheen on the water or a sludge or emulsion under the water must be reported to the USCG (in US waters of course). Then the boater is responsible to clean it up. Failure to report any spill is an offense.

So clean up or contain.
Report.

Alaska Seas and Coasts Volume 4 July 2007
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:18   #6

Boat: Sceptre 41
Absorbent pads it is then. I really didn't know what to do and I want to be a responsible boater.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel