Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2016, 11:57   #1

SSB in Mexico?

Hello,
I recently sailed down to Mexico, left my boat in La Paz, and while up here in Canada bought an SSB radio.

I remember hearing somewhere that to have an SSB in Mexico, you need to pay for a permit, and have a license, is this correct?

If so, any idea where to take the course, and be able to fly back into Mexico with the radio.

Thanks,
andrew
ap.thoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 12:18   #2
Eternal Member

Re: SSB in Mexico?

I assume that your boat is of Canadian registry and that it is temporarily in Mexico. I further assume that you're talking about a marine SSB transceiver.

Under international treaty, two things are required to have and operate a marine SSB aboard:

(1) you must have a ships license for the radio equipment; and
(2) you must have a radiotelephone operators permit.

These are issued by the government of the country of registry....in your case, Canada.

Industry Canada is the organization which covers this type of licensing.

As far as getting the radio into Mexico, I'm not sure. You may be able to do it by marking the radio for "a vessel in transit", and by presenting the Ships License and individual Operators Permit. Perhaps someone else has a better idea.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 12:23   #3

Thank you Bill.

Yes the boat is in Mexico only temporarily, and registered in Canada. And yes, and marine SSB radio.

When you say ships license, do you mean the boat registry papers?
Old 19-01-2016, 12:26   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I feel pretty sure you need two permits / licenses.
1. A radio station license for the boat
2. A radio operators license for you

Now I may have mixed up license for permit as I just don't remember, but I had to buy both, as I understand most anywhere you go you will need both.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 12:28   #5
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap.thoms View Post
Thank you Bill.

Yes the boat is in Mexico only temporarily, and registered in Canada. And yes, and marine SSB radio.

When you say ships license, do you mean the boat registry papers?
No, not the boat registry papers, but a specific ship station license for the boat which covers many types of transmitting equipment: VHF, SSB, radar, satellite comms, etc.

Bill
Old 19-01-2016, 12:28   #6

And to acquire both of these do you need to do the HAM test and such, or it is an easier process?

Are these things bought in Mexico, or gotten while still in Canada?
Old 19-01-2016, 12:34   #7

... https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafet...-faqs-1489.htm

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 12:39   #8
Eternal Member

Quote:
And to acquire both of these do you need to do the HAM test and such, or it is an easier process?

Are these things bought in Mexico, or gotten while still in Canada?
No. You're mixing things up. This has nothing to do with ham radio. We're talking here about marine SSB radio.

You need a ship station license, covering the radio and other transmitting gear. And, you need an individual operators permit. These are BOTH issued by the Canadian government. Mexico has nothing to do with this.

Here's the blurb from Industry Canada's website pertaining to the individual operators permit:

4.1 Restricted Operator Certificate ─ Maritime (ROC-M)

This certificate is mainly intended for pleasure boaters, as they do not fall within the scope of Transport Canada’s Ship Station (Radio) Regulations, 1999. As of September 1, 2000, Industry Canada delegated the examination and administration of the ROC-M certification program to Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons (CPS). Courses for this certificate are developed and delivered by private examiners and/or instructors associated with CPS. Application for this certificate can be obtained from CPS, and certificates are issued by CPS. Certificates are valid for life and there is no renewal requirement. No photograph of the holder is required, and there is no age or nationality restriction.
Additional information concerning this certificate can be obtained by telephoning CPS at 1-888-CPS-BOAT (1-888-277-2628) or by visiting its website at Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons - Escadrilles canadiennes de plaisance.

Bill
Old 19-01-2016, 12:41   #9

Thanks for the link! So getting the radio station license. Now is the SSB considered a marine radiotelephone?
Old 19-01-2016, 12:43   #10
Eternal Member

Quote:
Thanks for the link! So getting the radio station license. Now is the SSB considered a marine radiotelephone?
Yes. And, per my first response above, I am assuming that we're talking about a marine SSB transceiver, yes? Not a ham radio. What is the make/model of the SSB you have acquired?

Bill
Old 19-01-2016, 12:46   #11

Boat: Rafiki 37

Technically you need a ship station license and an operators permit ANYWAY for your VHF

Everyone using a VHF on a Canadian boat needs the operators permit (Radio Operator’s Certificate – Marine ROC(M)), so you need one of these if you haven't got it. It involves a test.

You don't need a ship stations license if you are a pleasure craft under a certain length within Canadian waters as you qualify for the exemption, if you leave and go to another country however, you need the ship station license. Seeing as you are in Mexico, you need one.

Two different things, and you need both of them for your VHF - even taking the SSB out of the equation.
Old 19-01-2016, 12:56   #12

This course?

https://www.cps-ecp.ca/public/public...7CCAL%3D225480

Icome M700
Old 19-01-2016, 12:59   #13
Eternal Member

Quote:
Yes. That will do it for the operator's certificate.

You still need the ship's station license, unless you perchance already have one. As was stated, you need this even for a VHF radio if you go abroad (and you have, obviously).

The Icom M700 is an older marine HF transceiver built like a tank. I assume it's not the M700Pro, which is an entirely different animal.

Bill
Old 19-01-2016, 12:59   #14

Boat: Rafiki 37

Yes, though you can get self study books and take the test with an independent examiner for a lot cheaper.

It's not particularly hard, just covers VHF best practises, how to respond to a mayday/panpan and DSC functions.
Old 19-01-2016, 13:05   #15

... SURE?

---
ROC Maritime/DSC

The ROC license is a Canadian Federal government issued card that allows you to operate a marine VHF radio.
---

The OP wants to operate an HF marine radio?

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico, ssb