Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2008, 17:41   #1

Boat: C.Nicholson 44 cc ketch saint007
State title or USCG documentation ?

Just purchased a used sail boat the seler is offering a USCG documentations and claiming that is better than having a state (Florida ) title .there's advantage in having USCG documentation over a state title ?
saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 17:53   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
None unless you
1. require financing to purchase it, or
2. plan to take it out of the U.S.
FL and most other states require you to pay tax regardless
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 18:30   #3

hello, thanks , Yes I plan to take the boat out the US (cruising) , if I have a Florida title I can't take the boat out the US ? I understand that the taxes has to be paid regardeless. also was mentioned that with the USCG docs. the boat can not be seizade in event of any problems in other countries. any true in this ?
Old 18-02-2008, 19:19   #4

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Everything I have read points to USCG doc.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 19:26   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
saint, Documentation has nothing to do with whether the boat can be seized outside the US. Other countries can do as they please. Documentation is a recognize proof of ownership and that is about it. Some countries outside the US do not recognize state registration and that is where your problem may or may not come up. You can indeed take the boat out of the country with a state registration but clearing in to certain countries might be a problem so it depends on where you plan to travel. You would not have an issue in say the Bahamas. If financing the bank will certainly want the boat documented and will file a lien.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 19:43   #6

Boat: 1965 Egg Harbor convertible
Documentation

Documentation is the current USCG implementation of one of the oldest forms of private ownership in the western world. Maritime law predates most other law and our US law can trace it's roots to British Admiralty law.
Documentation, once obtained renews automatically for no charge on an annual basis. The actual official document has a heat sensitive ink in one corner to provide the CG a way to guard against color photocopying as of 2007 and provide instant proof during boarding.
A documentation history available from the CG will show all past owners and leinholders such as mortgage holders and may also show past tax or mechanic's leins.
The history will also show all the names the boat had had over the years.
It took me over two years to return my boat to documented status as there was an unsatisfied lein from the 1970's- I had to get a letter from the original lender proving that the loan had been paid off and send it to the CG Documentation center.
Even though the state I dock my boat in would like me to register I don't bother - the CG doesn't care if they board you!
I say take the documentation if you can get it, it will make selling the boat outside your state easier and provide a continuous chain of title in the future.
David Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 21:30   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
If you come to Maryland, (Motto: If you enjoy it...we can tax it) do not spend any more than six months here......you will have to pay taxes......The DNR does check and another thing....The six months do not have to be continuous...2 here...3 there....1 there poof
Here come da tax man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 15:56   #8

Thank all for the information was very helpfull ,all that I need to find out ,yes I have plans to sail to Brazil and other places , so the broker is working to get CG documentation I was against it before , but now I see the advantages in keep traking about any past liens on the vessel that is 1977 , and I dont have to much history on this boat , so I'm getting CG docs.
Thanks again.
Old 20-02-2008, 16:55   #9

USCG. It's actually easier once you get it from a renewal prospective. It doesn't cost a dime for renewals, and I don't have to deal with the DMV.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 17:43   #10

Boat: Columbia 8.7 As You Wish III
Plaque

My boat has a plaque mounted in an out of the way place. Was just wondering if it might have something to do with USCG Doc.

Now I feel really dumb. Should have gotten a picture or at least a description.

About 6 inches wide by 24 long numbers and letters like some kind of ID.

Boat is a 1970 Tartan 27. Still has the orginal plate with hull number
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 20:22   #11
GreatKetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith View Post
My boat has a plaque mounted in an out of the way place. Was just wondering if it might have something to do with USCG Doc.

Now I feel really dumb. Should have gotten a picture or at least a description.

About 6 inches wide by 24 long numbers and letters like some kind of ID.

Boat is a 1970 Tartan 27. Still has the orginal plate with hull number

If it has numbers and letters it is NOT a USCG "Official Number". Those are numbers only. They are not the same as not are they related to the "hull number" assigned when it was built.

Bill
Old 22-02-2008, 03:22   #12
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Actually, if it's a USCG doc number, it will have two letters: NO. As in NO1234567, at least 3" high and mounted so that they cannot easily be removed. I put mine on the hull in the anchor locker, covered with epoxy resin.
Old 23-02-2008, 14:06   #13

Boat: Columbia 8.7 As You Wish III
Plaque

Hud,

Thanks mine reads NO 526515
NET 6

and is mounted to the rear bulkhead on the Starboard side.
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 18:08   #14
GreatKetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Actually, if it's a USCG doc number, it will have two letters: NO. As in NO1234567, at least 3" high and mounted so that they cannot easily be removed. I put mine on the hull in the anchor locker, covered with epoxy resin.
You are 100% correct! I forgot all about the "NO" in front!

P.S., I suspect the "NET 6" is refering to the net registered tonnage of the boat (which is not the same as its weight) and is not normally required as part of the number attached to the hull. Sounds about right for a Tarten 27

Tags
documentation