Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 07:03   #1

Tax and registration NJ/NY

I'm about to get paperwork (I hope) that certifies that my sister and I finally own the Pearson 424 we've been looking at since last year.

The boat was lying in NY and we had hoped to bring it to NJ, because we live there and were expecting to have a shorter drive to do all the work it needs.

Sadly, since we finished up the purchase (sans paperwork) in the middle of the year, berths in Jersey were nowhere to be found and the boat is still out at the end of Long Island.

The boat was previously registered in NY and has the registration sticker for NY.

Since the boat is going to be in NY for the foreseeable future, I assume that we'll have to register there and I expect that the sticker is null & void so that the state can collect payment from me. New numbers for the bow too I expect.

Similarly, with tax, I'm hoping that I only owe purchase tax to NY, but I have a suspicion that Jersey may want something too.

Anyone gone through this or similar to provide advice?

Thanks.
bill424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:21   #2

Re: Tax and registration NJ/NY

Congratulations on your new boat. If you're using the boat in NY waters continuously for 90 days or more you're supposed to register it in NY (and title it if built in 1987 or after). You won't have to change the registration numbers but you will get a new sticker. I don't know if NY or NJ sales tax is higher, but if you move the boat to NJ they will give you a credit for the sales tax paid in NY. I've moved boats between NY, CT and MD and have never had to pay sales tax a second time.
Dave
nussbda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:59   #3

Re: Tax and registration NJ/NY

If you don't have the paperwork, you don't own it. The ninety days hasn't started. If it is seaworthy, there seems like there may be plenty of time to register it in NJ and move it there for winter storage...which will probably be much less expensive there than eastern LI.
Danm1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
registration