Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2014, 07:34   #1

Boat: Hunter 450 Passage
The Florida Question

We are a US documented boat returning from the Caribbean after several years. We would like to stay in Florida a while but not necessarily register there. How long could we stay?
sugarbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 09:37   #2

Boat: csy 37
Re: The Florida Question

Legally I think its 60 days. In actual practice its years. I personally know out of state boats that have been here that long and have yet to register. But they do move around a lot.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 18:36   #3

I think the 60 (or 90) day grace period only applies if you are registered in another state already. From memory, if you are US documented only, you must register in FL to stay there at all.
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 19:52   #4
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Pretty sure it is 90 consecutive days, and 180 days total in one year.

That's for out of state registered boats. Maybe it is different for documented vessels.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 20:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Pretty sure it is 90 consecutive days, and 180 days total in one year.

That's for out of state registered boats. Maybe it is different for documented vessels.
Same for documented and foreign vessels.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 20:21   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Florida law says you must register the boat in Florida if you stay here more than 90 days. Doesn't matter if you are registered in another state or USCG Documented. Foreign owned I'm not sure.

But it's no big deal. Why the concern.? It only costs $100 or so and you will not be liable for any Florida taxes. There is no state income tax at all and no personal property tax. Really see no down side.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 21:01   #7

Their DMV site info is kind of confusing. Says foreign titled vessels don't have to re-title provided they're in FL for less than 90 days. However, it's silent as to foreign vessels in the registration blurb. May be it's an oversite. Don't have the time now to sift through their actual statutes. But would be interesting to find out for sure.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 03:15   #8

Boat: Hunter 450 Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Florida law says you must register the boat in Florida if you stay here more than 90 days. Doesn't matter if you are registered in another state or USCG Documented. Foreign owned I'm not sure.

But it's no big deal. Why the concern.? It only costs $100 or so and you will not be liable for any Florida taxes. There is no state income tax at all and no personal property tax. Really see no down side.
If it truly is $100.00, then you are right, it is no big deal. I was afraid they would try to charge me sales tax to register. Don't they want to see a bill of sale or something?
sugarbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 04:42   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Foreign registered yachts do not need FL rego. Gotta keep the mega yacht guys happy.
If your boat was built in the US, you can get an indefinite cruising permit from customs. If built overseas toy have to leave the country once per year or have a good excuse.
Old 22-09-2014, 05:06   #10

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Foreign registered yachts do not need FL rego. Gotta keep the mega yacht guys happy.
If your boat was built in the US, you can get an indefinite cruising permit from customs. If built overseas toy have to leave the country once per year or have a good excuse.
To clarify, a foreign registered vessel MUST have a US CBP cruising license in order to be exempt from Florida registration. No CBP cruising license, FL registration is required.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 05:13   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbird View Post
If it truly is $100.00, then you are right, it is no big deal. I was afraid they would try to charge me sales tax to register. Don't they want to see a bill of sale or something?
I paid Fl sales tax as I bought mine in FL and was going to stay there, but if I remember correctly if I had taken the boat out of state for some time period FL wouldn't be due the tax, but the state it was going to would be.
I believe though it's common to have to show that tax was paid when the boat was purchased to avoid taxation, I even think some States will make you pay them the difference if you paid less tax than would be owed if you had bought the boat in that state.
I do not know if FL is like this or not, but if I couldn't prove sales tax had been paid on the boat when I bought it, I don't think I would try to register it, way my luck runs, that $100 would suddenly get a lot larger.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 05:19   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Double tap, sorry
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 05:22   #13
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

If you haven't been in Florida for six months and never intended to call Florida home supposedly no tax is due. Being out of the country doesn't count in the six months. In other words if you spent more than six months in states other than Florida then went to the Caribbean you shouldn't have to pay Florida sales tax.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 05:23   #14

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

You can stay up to a year longer than the 90 days if you get a Sojourner's Permit (from the Florida Dept. of Highway Safety, curiously). It costs around $100 to $150. Here's a link to a site with all the information...my apologies that it's a yacht broker's site – I promise this isn't a sneaky promotion, I simply cannot find this info with the links on the official Florida sites: Florida Sojourner Registration | Paradise Yachts Sales & Service
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 05:27   #15
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/current/gt800005.pdf
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida