Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2013, 10:35   #1

The Keys are getting a crackdown.....

Read about what's here and what's coming........

Crackdown coming on 'troublesome' liveaboard boaters - KeysNet.com
Radarhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 11:02   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: The Keys are getting a crackdown.....

Not sure whats wrong with a managed anchor area. If it cuts down on bad boaters, and sewage, besides Florida is offering free pumpout service for liveaboards, ( we love the program) some are paranoid about it...Derelict boats are a problem for anyone, Would you want to live in a house where people were dumping garbage and sewage in the yard across the street? I wouldn't , and didn't.
I dont think this is as much about ugly boats as it is ugly behavior.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 11:12   #3

Enforcement of extant regulation... whatta concept!
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 11:18   #4

Boat: In between boats

Not so much a crackdown as a drive to enforce existing rules. If it improves the general quality of life and environment, it's fine by me.
SailingwithSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 11:24   #5
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Not sure whats wrong with a managed anchor area. If it cuts down on bad boaters, and sewage, besides Florida is offering free pumpout service for liveaboards, ( we love the program) some are paranoid about it...Derelict boats are a problem for anyone, Would you want to live in a house where people were dumping garbage and sewage in the yard across the street? I wouldn't , and didn't.

We had a derelict boat out in Boca Ciega Bay. Embarrassingly, it beloged to a prominent club member. One day he brought it in (not sure how; it had no mast and no engine) and tied it up at the transient dock.

Unfortunately the wind was from the south, and the pelicans had been using it as their island for several years. Our one allowed live-aboard couple were downwind from this boat and the smell was horrible. The guy didn't even take a hose and clean it up. He finally took it back out. Eventually it chafed through its anchor rode, went aground on some rocks, and sat there until the city cut it up.

I don't think he even had to take responsibility for that because the fellow who sold it to him hadn't changed the registration, and he had died, so the paper trail said that the boat had been owned by a dead person. Everyone knew the truth, but there was nothing to prove it.

Then there's the famous guy who went aground last summer. When people went out to help him clean his boat up, they discovered that it was infested with rats.

Nobody wants boats like that out there giving the rest of us a bad name.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 12:11   #6

the marina manager at the city and marina in Key West told me of the new regulations for having to be pumped out for the boats anchored out. the problem is this city has no money to enforce the regulation
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 12:19   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

That's the upside of all the new regulation especially in the southern states. Long term, there will be no money for enforcement.
There is a problem with some boats, but there don't seem to be a lot of good ideas on how to solve it without infringing on other "law abiding citizens" rights.

The best I can come up with is mandatory watercraft liability and salvage insurance. Again, this would be hard to enforce but could be done thru the registration process and DL has a nasty habit of even tagging a ticket for not having a dinghy life jacket to your drivers license.
Old 19-09-2013, 12:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Agree completely!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 12:52   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"mandatory watercraft liability and salvage insurance. Again, this would be hard to enforce but could be done thru the registration process and DL has a nasty habit of even tagging a ticket for not having a dinghy life jacket to your drivers license. "

No, really? Hard to enforce? The state of Florida says about 1/4 of the drivers are uninsured or unlicensed there, as against 1/10 in other states. And they say enforcing that would also be "technologically impossible" while other states have been doing this enforcement for years with no problems.

You have a registration sticker, issued annually? Bi-annually? In some states cops and metermaids simply scan the bar code on the sticker, sometimes with a scanner, sometimes with a simple smartphone app, and in seconds it comes back with a message that the registration, insurance, and other status is or isn't OK. The databases on the back end are all connected, and in some states if your insurance expires today, you'll receive a penalty letter mailed out tomorrow, and by next week you're on the sheriff's list for seizure.

Enforcement isn't hard, and once it begins, the enforcement itself should more than pay all program costs. Other folks make it work elsewhere, but some states keep declaring that what is old hat elsewhere, would just be impossible for them to do.

"If their lips are moving, they're lying."

And it really is an insult to the rubes, trying to say things are impossible when they're done so well and so often in so many other places.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 13:11   #10

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

The "enforcers" whoever they are probably have some new go-fast boats though.
Old 19-09-2013, 13:46   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

The state rego is annual, but you can pay for 2 years at a time.

they new buzz in FL is "privacy concerns" so no doubt you couldn't do it for privacy concerns. No reason a city can't ask you all kinds of things and deny any responsibility if their mooring fails.

I'm actually not too big on my own idea as the salvage coverage would likely require a survey on a regular basis. I only propose it as a way to get rid of the "bum" boats these intrusive laws are meant to go after without forcing responsible boaters into mooring fields in every place they might want to visit.
Old 20-09-2013, 04:21   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
The state rego is annual, but you can pay for 2 years at a time.

they new buzz in FL is "privacy concerns" so no doubt you couldn't do it for privacy concerns. No reason a city can't ask you all kinds of things and deny any responsibility if their mooring fails.

I'm actually not too big on my own idea as the salvage coverage would likely require a survey on a regular basis. I only propose it as a way to get rid of the "bum" boats these intrusive laws are meant to go after without forcing responsible boaters into mooring fields in every place they might want to visit.
Ive heard several live aboards say they didnt want to do the free pumpout service as you have to give them all your personal info. We didnt feel it was too personal and it was nothing the state doesnt have already.
Old 20-09-2013, 11:28   #13
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"the free pumpout service as you have to give them all your personal info. We didnt feel it was too personal and it was nothing the state doesnt have already. "

Actually, if you give them your sewage you give them your DNA and the subject of DNA databases and privacy is also a hot button these days.

Not that I think the honeybucket man is going to be a clandestine NSA agent checking to see who's really been on each boat (G) but if folks wanted to bag it and sell it instead of using one specific service...OK, fine. As long as someone can document where it went and that wasn't just into the water.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 11:44   #14

I was curious about the petri dishes and the microscope on his boat. Wonderful I'm probably being cloned do to my greatness. That or fiber one has found a new way to get new business
Old 20-09-2013, 12:04   #15
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

[QUOTE=hellosailor;1343943]"mandatory watercraft liability and salvage insurance. Again, this would be hard to enforce but could be done thru the registration process and DL has a nasty habit of even tagging a ticket for not having a dinghy life jacket to your drivers license. "

Geez here we go with more mandatory insurance. Is this really what you want to force me to carry insurance? Thanks a lot. You dont get my vote.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote