Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2013, 02:06   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!
Re: The Med and Taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
But I beleive in most EU countries its 90 days to reregister cars.
EU countries vary. Germany allows a year. Greece 6 months. Embassies give some rather sloppily worded advice (easily understood, but legally ambiguous) on this matter.
See https://www.gov.uk/living-in-greece#...ving-in-greece
This is one of the better sites, since it differentiates between temporary and permanent import - and includes pleasure craft!

jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 02:33   #32
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckb View Post

You Channel Islanders don't fit these categories - a weird lot indeed, and I'm pretty sure the French have decided it's not worth the cost of policing your entitlements:
and just to confuse matters further most of the population have EU passports (UK/Portugal/Poland born and Jersey born who have one "foreign" Grandparent) so are entitled to live and work in the EU (even if they are not EU resident and their toys are not VAT paid)......whereas us ethnic minorities have a British Passport that is stamped "no right to live or work in the EU" (it seems to be a concession rather than a right to live and work in the UK itself - like most of our relationships it is all a little vague as never written down, at least not coherently.......over many hundreds of years that confusion / ambiguity has served both sides fairly well).

Of course the advantage from being an ethnic minority is that I can say rude things about other ethnics without criticism , and in my case doubly so because I was married to a dusky foreigner .

In regard to Les French, apart from them wanting to make sure we don't live up to our reputation of taking the piss on tax matters (not just VAT but actually living in France under the radar) - essentially they are comfortable that we will be going "home", and in the meantime will be spending a few Euros.......Tourists and not Immigrants pretending to be visitors.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 06:55   #33

Thank you very much for everyones input and comments relating to my incident in the south of France. It appears that tax authorities are applying far more vigour and confirmed to my skipper that they are concentrating on yachts flying the British ensign "they have something to hide". I will keep you all updated on the final outcome. Gerald
geraldh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
taxes