Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 11:22   #16

Re: These donkeys give cruisers a bad name

It's an issue of total lack of sensitivity to the local culture...

Possibly because he's very wealthy he thinks he can do as he pleases...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:33   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
It's an issue of total lack of sensitivity to the local culture...

Possibly because he's very wealthy he thinks he can do as he pleases...
if sensitivity to the local culture was an issue,the genocide perpertrated by the non ethnic canadians would not be happening....wealth has noting to do with it ,greed everything.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:36   #18
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Sorry Athol, it was not the Canadians but the owner of the vessel who chose to provide liqour to a minor - and to do so in a dry community. The fine for that charge is apparently $5,000.00 (and $5,000.00 for possession of the liquor without a license) and the police were good enough to take a dishonest millionaire at his word and release his vessel upon receipt of a fraudulent cheque for the two fines.

If the police had not responded after the disturbance caused by the use of illegal fireworks (various communities have restrictions concerning their use around the world) and after reports that a minor who was partying on board jumped into the frigid waters around the boat, then the RCMP officer would have been deserving of criticism. Indeed, there is a criminal offence in our country called causing a disturbance (somewhat akin to disorderly conduct in the USA) and the offender should consider himself fortunate that he was not charged with a criminal offence and held for a bail hearing as a non-resident of Canada.

Your suggestion that the officer in question was assigned there as some form of punishment is an insult to people everywhere who love the north and its unspoiled splendor. Many people live in communities such as this (or their equivalents in Alaska, or Finland, or Argentina, or Peru, etc., etc.) by choice, Athol. And frequently that choice is not only due to the wide open spaces and gorgeous vistas, but in order to avoid people such as the arrogant owner of this vessel and others, who like yourself, are prepared to attack the lifestyle choices that they have made and their own democratically-passed laws that were designed to protect the peace and tranquility of their community.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:44   #19

Boat: Outremer 50S

Having checked in and out of Canada several times, they are pretty strict on how much alcohol you can bring into Canada. Serves two purposes; limits your consumption of same, and gets you to pay their taxes/duties if you want to buy more:

Quote:
You are allowed to import only one of the following amounts of alcoholic beverages free of duty and taxes:

1.5 litres (53 imperial ounces) of wine; or
a total of 1.14 litres (40 ounces) of alcoholic beverages; or
up to 8.5 litres of beer or ale.
There are provisions for transport through Canada on a bonded/sealed basis, but clearly since it was being drunk that is not what happened here.

Even if you do bring in only your 1.14 liter limit you are not allowed to take any of these into a dry community. Doing so shows disrespect for the community you are visiting. Civil disobedience is grand, and right there in the cruising tradition, but sometimes you get called to pay the piper. In this case it sounds like someone violated a number of local laws (importation of liquor, distribution of liquor in a dry community, service a liquor to a minor) and got off pretty lightly. One of the wonders of cruising, if you don't like the local laws/politics/policies you can take your home and move on down the channel.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:47   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Sorry Athol, it was not the Canadians but the owner of the vessel who chose to provide liqour to a minor - and to do so in a dry community. The fine for that charge is apparently $5,000.00 (and $5,000.00 for possession of the liquor without a license) and the police were good enough to take a dishonest millionaire at his word and release his vessel upon receipt of a fraudulent cheque for the two fines.

If the police had not responded after the disturbance caused by the use of illegal fireworks (various communities have restrictions concerning their use around the world) and after reports that a minor who was partying on board jumped into the frigid waters around the boat, then the RCMP officer would have been deserving of criticism. Indeed, there is a criminal offence in our country called causing a disturbance (somewhat akin to disorderly conduct in the USA) and the offender should consider himself fortunate that he was not charged with a criminal offence and held for a bail hearing as a non-resident of Canada.

Your suggestion that the officer in question was assigned there as some form of punishment is an insult to people everywhere who love the north and its unspoiled splendor. Many people live in communities such as this (or their equivalents in Alaska, or Finland, or Argentina, or Peru, etc., etc.) by choice, Athol. And frequently that choice is not only due to the wide open spaces and gorgeous vistas, but in order to avoid people such as the arrogant owner of this vessel and others, who like yourself, are prepared to attack the lifestyle choices that they have made and their own democratically-passed laws that were designed to protect the peace and tranquility of their community.

Brad
having been to most parts of the world the paternalistic colonialism perpertrated by many first world powers thinly veiled as protecting the indigenous populace,with the ulterior motive of protecting mineral reserves for exploitation when it suits their leaders....quite frankly makes this look like a smoke screen,to cover the failed policys of a colonial administration that does not really give a sh1t about its troubled indigenous population....

ps who democratically if they ever had that choice,which they did not,would be running things very differently,they were doing quite well untill democracy and men in red uniforms turned up!
Old 02-10-2012, 11:50   #21
Armchair Bucketeer

From the article they did not bounce a cheque to the RCMP - “They have until November the 15th to pay those fines". (so they are not currently outstanding?).

But "a $10,000 cheque Mr. McDonald left with Cambridge Bay authorities bounced" (mooring fees?).

The fine and the bounced cheque sum appear to be the same figure, but for different things - so 3 guesses where the RCMP money is coming from . The Cambridge Bay Debt? - well, that will simply be a civil matter. I am sure he will pay eventually if they pursue it far enough, likley accross several jurisdictions for which costs will far outweigh the debt. My bet is that he can afford to lose......without his Grandad having to sell the farm .

Sounds like some of the locals resent some of the other locals going to an onboard piss up. Probably their husbands . I think a fair indicator that Prohibition not supported by all the locals.

A underage girl was seen diving into the water? Is that activity age restricted? . (Yeah, I know the implication was something else - but they obviously had no proof or even a complainant otherwise folks would have been charged, or at least further besmirched in the article!).

I guess I am meant to take these "crimes" seriously - but I have never been able to accept those based solely on the Morals of others, and in this case that includes those set by the Frozen Taliban .

Besides, I see no Tinnies were they really Aussies?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:50   #22

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Well tough to comment since we weren't there. Looking at the "stash" of alcohol, it doesn't look excessive on a larger cruising yacht. And the fireworks look pretty innocuous to me. Having said that, as cruisers, we need to be sensitive to, and conform local laws and customs. When in rome and all that.

When my wife and i visit catholic churches, f.eks. She is always careful to wear blouses or shirts that cover her shoulders. Both of us wear conservative pants etc. That' s just repect for those whose house we are visiting.

We won't visit muslim countries and that because we can't get ourselves to respect their beliefs or lifestyle. So we just don't go. Call us prejuidiced ( prejuidiced equals prejudged) we're not. We have visited a number of muslim countries and have no wish to go back. We have Not "prejudged" them.

That was a sidebar. This yachtie should have been a bit more sensitive to local law and custom.

Unfortunately, yachties, are as people are most. A much varied group.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:52   #23
CF Adviser

Athol, your ludicrous, inaccurate and inflammatory political comments about apartheid, forcing aborginals to live in communites and genocide by' non-ethnic Canadians' is thread drift in the extreme: even if true, it has no connection to this thread - afterall, the person who you support for his insenstive and illegal behavior is a non-aboriginal from Australia, a country which you surely also abhor for its treatment of aboriginals. Regardless, political debates are outside the scope of this site.

Brad
Old 02-10-2012, 12:05   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Athol, your ludicrous, inaccurate and inflammatory political comments about apartheid, forcing aborginals to live in communites and genocide by' non-ethnic Canadians' is thread drift in the extreme: even if true, it has no connection to this thread - afterall, the person who you support for his insenstive and illegal behavior is a non-aboriginal from Australia, a country which you surely also abhor for its treatment of aboriginals. Regardless, political debates are outside the scope of this site.

Brad
somebody has to speak up against the autrocities perpertrated against these people.......dr david lewis was a good friend of mine,we had many conversations on just this subject about the time he spent with the inuit.

David Henry Lewis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

a good read to get a non biased perspective
https://www.ucn.ca/ics/icsfs/Quint3....e-237d957b88ac
Old 02-10-2012, 12:14   #25
CF Adviser

DOJ, whether it was payment of the fine (which would not have been to the RCMP - fines in this country are not payable to the police) or for other fees, here as in most civilized countries, passing off a bad cheque is also a criminal offence - here it is called 'false pretences'.

Sadly, I suspect that those who wish to support his apparently criminal behavior are speaking volumes about themselves, rather than the offender and his motivation. I suspect he will never be back in Canada as it seems that warrants could now be issued for his arrest for false pretences, if the story is accurate. If so good riddance!

Brad
Old 02-10-2012, 12:16   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

One of the most basic things you do when you travel to another country is to make sure you do not break any of their laws. It is irrelevant if you disagree with any of their laws.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:20   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
One of the most basic things you do when you travel to another country is to make sure you do not break any of their laws. It is irrelevant if you disagree with their laws.

the uk and us has shown a through understanding of this in a few countries recently.... i think thou shalt not kill is pretty universal
Old 02-10-2012, 12:26   #28
CF Adviser

David, thank-you for trying to get this thread back on track. And Athol, while I am sincerely sympathetic to the plight of aboriginals everywhere (and have actually worked to advance their interests in the justice system), once again this is neither the thread, nor the site for a political rant.

Cheers!

Brad
Old 02-10-2012, 12:28   #29

Boat: Custom Cutter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
I sure as hell didn't see tens of thousand of dollars worth of booze and/or fireworks.
Well, if you consider how much booze costs in Canada it makes sense.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:29   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
David, thank-you for trying to get this thread back on track. And Athol, while I am sincerely sympathetic to the plight of aboriginals everywhere (and have actually worked to advance their interests in the justice system), once again this is neither the thread, nor the site for a political rant.

Cheers!

Brad

thanks for your input it is probably best if we leave it at that!

cheers aLEX