Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 12:31   #31

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: These donkeys give cruisers a bad name

Quote:
paternalistic colonialism perpertrated by many first world powers thinly veiled as protecting the indigenous populace
Atoll,

Nunavut communities are dry by local choice. Some communities allow alcohol, some don't. There is no external, overarching regulation that restricts alcohol, only local council rules. If you think that the local councils only reflect the paternalistic colonialist's needs then we have a discussion. I suspect that is not the case, however, since many Nunavut communities do allow alcohol, the Nunavut nation allows alcohol, and only certain villages/towns/local areas are dry.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:40   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Atoll,

Nunavut communities are dry by local choice. Some communities allow alcohol, some don't. There is no external, overarching regulation that restricts alcohol, only local council rules. If you think that the local councils only reflect the paternalistic colonialist's needs then we have a discussion. I suspect that is not the case, however, since many Nunavut communities do allow alcohol, the Nunavut nation allows alcohol, and only certain villages/towns/local areas are dry.
thanks for your input,i think my feeling are clear,best left to journalists who will pick up on this story and let the world be the judge.
cheers atoll
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:54   #33
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Thanks Athol - and I am sure that many others will also be thankful that we are both now agreed to 'let it go'.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 13:04   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Thanks Athol - and I am sure that many others will also be thankful that we are both now agreed to 'let it go'.

Brad
no worries i have smaller matters on my mind!

see for the latest progress

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rew-59975.html
Old 02-10-2012, 13:14   #35
CLOD

Boat: none

for a yacht that size, it didn't look like there was enough alcohol on board

just saying
Old 02-10-2012, 13:29   #36

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
atoll, shows you have no idea the extent of the alcohol and drug problem in our northern communities. Getting a minor intoxicated, no declaration of alcohol, no declaration of fireworks (probably illegal to possess in Canada) along with fraudulent checks are not matters to celebrate.
I'm with DeepFrz on this one. Maybe in Pommie land they don't have an alcohol problem with their indigenous peoples but here in Australia and similarly in Canada it has caused immense social and cultural destruction in some communities and they themselves have chosen to declare their communities to be "dry".

While the newspaper description does sound like a colourful beatup if the reported facts are correct, 1. they brought alcohol into the community without approval (it doesn't matter if it is one bottle or a hundred) 2. they gave alcohol to a minor and 3 they fraudulently paid the fine with a worthless cheque then they have broken a number of laws and should suffer the consequences.

I don't think it is right not respect legal and customary practise when you are a visitor in someone elses home or country.
mausgras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:57   #37

Another version of the "party" has just been published in the Sydney Morning Herald
see Aussie tycoon fined for using fireworks in Arctic
Old 03-10-2012, 02:23   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post
Another version of the "party" has just been published in the Sydney Morning Herald
see Aussie tycoon fined for using fireworks in Arctic
it just goes to show what a great resource "cruisers forum" is for the newspaper hack's.......yesterday cf....today the world
Old 05-10-2012, 23:01   #39

Boat: Van deStadt 34

Not defending/accusing these people in any way but at least they appear to have some reasonable Australian booze on board. The 3 doz to the left of the picture looks like Penfolds. More like the Au$15 per bottle than the Au$300+ (and you wouldn't stand Grange up vertically!).

In fact I have one open now . . . Andrew.
Andrew G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:50   #40

Boat: PETERSON 44
So far as I can tell from the media. I am going off memory as an excercise. The boat had a party that was majority male the gender of the musk ox is unknown. They acted inappropriate with the musk ox. A girl lesser in age then 21 jumped in the water. They had alcohol and allowed a lesser then age 21 to drink. They got a ticket from the police. They owe the Canadians a fine. They are broke and are bouncing checks.
Things I am not sure of. They may have had paint ball guns. Is it okay to fire a paint ball gun at a jet ski? Was the musk ox a minor. Isn't the water a bit cold for swimming? Why didn't they invite more women?
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:51   #41

I just read a sailing blog of one of the CF members. In that blog, he talks of illegal entry into an island nation and of supplying hard liquor to the locals even though he knew that was a violation. What say CF?
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:54   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post
I'm with DeepFrz on this one. Maybe in Pommie land they don't have an alcohol problem with their indigenous peoples but here in Australia and similarly in Canada it has caused immense social and cultural destruction in some communities and they themselves have chosen to declare their communities to be "dry".

While the newspaper description does sound like a colourful beatup if the reported facts are correct, 1. they brought alcohol into the community without approval (it doesn't matter if it is one bottle or a hundred) 2. they gave alcohol to a minor and 3 they fraudulently paid the fine with a worthless cheque then they have broken a number of laws and should suffer the consequences.

I don't think it is right not respect legal and customary practise when you are a visitor in someone elses home or country.
So it's not only the ubiquitous "ugly American"?
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:05   #43

Boat: Endeavour 37

Lets see , fireworks ,paintball guns ,a polar plunge , liquer , girls ,one maybe 18, and a musk ox. Its a frat party.Oh yea plus the boat .Its a high end frat party...
popeye2818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:12   #44

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Also, I think the original post does a disservice to Donkey's. These guys were obviously Jack-Asses, not Donkey's.

FWIW...
Agreed, plus that term "donkeys" has been run into the ground and flattened! I first heard it on sports radio talk show and the guys had to use it for ever other word .... donkey this, donkey that ... on and on to the point I had to stop listening.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:51   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
So it's not only the ubiquitous "ugly American"?
I'm an aussie, so I'm allowed to criticise my own ..... but you buggers had better watch out if you start saying anything about ugly aussies ..... ;-)