Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2023, 06:41   #46

Re: Thoughts about this

I would of give way sooner to avoid the situation. You have nothing to gain.Like you say it is a big ocean.
I yield to pretty much all close vessels including power boats/auto pilot.With all the new boaters out there you don’t know if they know the rules of the road or not. Not worth getting up set over self righteous idiots.

Have a nice day.
Goodxcharly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2023, 06:48   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
Depends how far away you were / how much time you had.

With enough time and room, you could have turned to starboard, crossed his bow well ahead of him then turned back to your previous course.

Alternatively, turned to port as much as you could, even if that meant losing speed and/or going into irons. Once he’s past, resumed your previous course.

Got on the radio and let him know your situation? Asked him to avoid you?

And, on a flippant note, thrown out a fishing rod and put up a dayshape so that he had to avoid you
Hope you are kidding about fishing. Recreational fishing is not fishing according to COLREGS.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2023, 06:58   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
Depends how far away you were / how much time you had.

And, on a flippant note, thrown out a fishing rod and put up a dayshape so that he had to avoid you
It’s a common misconception that a vessel with a fishing line in the water is a fishing vessel. Despite the fact that such a vessel is fishing, it is not a fishing vessel according to COLREGS. Specifically, COLREGS states that “the term vessel engaged in fishing means any vessel fishing with nets, lines, trawls or other fishing apparatus which restrict manoeuvrability, but does not include a vessel fishing with trolling lines or other fishing apparatus which do not restrict manoeuvrability.”

I have seen many small vessels with one or two lines over actively angry that sailing vessels are not avoiding them. Some of these boats I’ve witnessed were fishing in navigation channels. They simply have no basis for being angry. Though common courtesy suggests that avoiding a conflict is the best course of action, when push comes to shove, they are required to give way to sailing vessels.
JackieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2023, 07:14   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Interesting question. Thanks for asking.

The COLREGs impose an implicit requirement upon all vessels to be able to maneuver. There are exceptions for vessels unable to maneuver by the nature of their work (dredging, divers down, etc) -- which COLREGs classifies as "restricted in their ability to maneuver" -- and vessels facing exceptional circumstances such as a mechanical failure, medical emergency, or whatever ("not under command").

A question for you to consider is whether your vessel, given its characteristics and performance under sail, is seaworthy without an operable motor.

This is what I was thinking too. If you can't maneuver then perhaps you are a RAM (restricted ability to maneuver) or NUC (not under command), which, if true, also obligates you to display the appropriate day shapes.

Additionally when the stand on vessel was getting close, it would have been advisable to sound 5 short blasts with your whistle (danger/doubt).
murofsresiurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2023, 07:43   #50

Boat: CLC Skerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
What!, wait, take another look, put glasses on.
Yes. You are correct the pole is rigged to starboard and somewhat shy placing B on starboard broad and A on port close reach.

Both vessels have the ability to turn to starboard.
Nearly always usually the best action.
Wrong, B's spinnaker pole is clearly to port because the after guy, which goes to the outboard pole end, is obviously to port. So B is running and on the port tack. A is close-hauled and also on the port tack. The leeward vessel is the stand-on vessel. The windward vessel must give-way. However, if I were A, I would luff up and allow B to pass ahead, out of courtesy.
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2023, 07:45   #51

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by murofsresiurc View Post
This is what I was thinking too. If you can't maneuver then perhaps you are a RAM (restricted ability to maneuver) or NUC (not under command), which, if true, also obligates you to display the appropriate day shapes.

Additionally when the stand on vessel was getting close, it would have been advisable to sound 5 short blasts with your whistle (danger/doubt).
Restricted in ability to maneuver would not apply here. Per COLREGS, a vessel is RAM "due to the nature of her work". It's not that the vessel cannot maneuver, it's that such a maneuver would affect whatever "job" the vessel is doing. Example is a buoy tender setting a buoy. The vessel could maneuver, but then the buoy is in the wrong place. Same as the truck painting the white line down the middle of the road, the truck can maneuver, but then the line is not where is should be. A lot of people get this wrong thinking that whenever a vessel can't maneuver it's RAM, and that all RAM vessels actually couldn't maneuver of they had to. Not true. Some RAM vessels really can't maneuver, but some can.
This could easily be Not Under Command though. NUC is "Due to Some Exceptional Circumstance". If the vessel is not designed to operate under sail alone then the engine being inop would be an exceptional circumstance. Same as a power-only vessel losing propulsion. It can't maneuver and it is NUC. You would be required to show the lights or shapes, but vessels under 12 meters in length are not required to CARRY them. Doesn't actually say you don't have to SHOW them, but how can you show them if you're not carrying them? And yes, the 5 short Danger/Doubt signal is always appropriate any time you're in doubt or don't like what the other guy is doing.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2023, 08:43   #52

Boat: CLC Skerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Wind for spinnaker boat is astern so you look at the position of the main boom.
Spinnaker pole is to starboard so we can presume main boom is to port since the tend to be on opposite sides. Main boom to port means spinnaker boat is on starboard tack.

Sailboat on starboard tack is the stand on vessel compared to a sailboat on port and is obligated to maintain speed and course from the time a collision becomes likely until collision is almost unavoidable. If there are other factors such as a channel to follow that would be grounds for the starboard tack boat to change course and speed.

COLREGS require this so boats in danger of collision act predictably and don't make the problem worse.
The diagram clearly shows the after guy leading aft from the PORT side. Therefore the main boom is on the starboard side, so therefore Vessel B is on the PORT tack.
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2023, 08:56   #53

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
This could easily be Not Under Command though. NUC is "Due to Some Exceptional Circumstance". If the vessel is not designed to operate under sail alone then the engine being inop would be an exceptional circumstance. Same as a power-only vessel losing propulsion. It can't maneuver and it is NUC. You would be required to show the lights or shapes, but vessels under 12 meters in length are not required to CARRY them. Doesn't actually say you don't have to SHOW them, but how can you show them if you're not carrying them? And yes, the 5 short Danger/Doubt signal is always appropriate any time you're in doubt or don't like what the other guy is doing.

NUC could perhaps apply in the event of an unexpected engine failure after leaving port. It is an emergency status, not one intended for trivial or routine use.

The OP wrote: "And I had some issues with my motor yesterday so I couldn't get it to start." The OP did not indicate that he had made a pan-pan call, had summoned assistance, or was heading to the nearest safe location where repairs could be made -- all actions that would be expected if the vessel was NUC.

Only under the most exceptional circumstances would a responsible captain leave port with a vessel known to be so unseaworthy as to be unable to comply with the COLREGs. For example doing so might be necessary to move a vessel to a location where repair facilities are available, or away from a storm, or when compliance with customs/immigration rules cannot be achieved any other way.
Old 17-07-2023, 09:23   #54

Boat: Privilege 37

Most of the answers here have concentrated on the rules,
But I think it is just as important to learn how to handle your vessel.

I had a catamaran that was very difficult to tack without back winding the jib. I found that if I slacked the main sheet before tacking she was more likely to tack successfully.
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2023, 09:28   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

I have probably forgotten the finer points of rules of the road here,, but I thought any downwind boat must give way to boats sailing upwind, regardless of port or starboard tack? (How wrong was I??)
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2023, 09:43   #56

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorladd View Post
How wrong was I??
Entirely.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2023, 09:46   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodxcharly View Post
I yield to pretty much all close vessels including power boats/auto pilot.With all the new boaters out there you don’t know if they know the rules of the road or not. Not worth getting up set over self righteous idiots.
How ironic.

Standing on isn't a choice - it's a requirement. You must be a new boater.
Old 17-07-2023, 09:56   #58

If the diagram is accurate, B is on starboard and is the stand-on vessel. You have to keep clear. Also, in general, turning to port is not the best thing to do. The assumption generally is that avoidance is done by turning right. Of course, you could have stopped but that is also not generally the best move since it is less obvious to the other boat than a large course change. If he is turning towards you in order to say hello, then he will notice that he has caused you some angst and will likely also correct...
Andrew Lippman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2023, 10:14   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubstuff View Post
The diagram clearly shows the after guy leading aft from the PORT side. Therefore the main boom is on the starboard side, so therefore Vessel B is on the PORT tack.
What are you looking at?

Old 17-07-2023, 10:18   #60

I may be mistaken, but the pole appears to be on the starboard side, which implies the book is on the left (not visible.). That puts B on starboard. Your circled area shows the guy and the pole.
Andrew Lippman is offline   Reply With Quote