Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2015, 15:17   #1

Thousand Islands

Hi All;

I hope I posted in the correct area - sorry if I didn't.

We are taking our first trip on our cabin cruiser to the Thousand Islands - coming across the Lake from Port Credit. Staying on the Canadian side. We will only have about 2-3 days to spend in the actual islands. We do have charts for the area fyi.

Q1) We plan to stay in the Brighton area for night 1 - just outside the Murray canal. Is there anchorage nearby or a recommended marina? Anchorage lat/long would be a bonus. (or other)

Q2) On day 2 we will head through the Murray Canal which has a speed limit but does the waterway thereafter have a speed limit? Just trying to judge if it is better to go around Prince Edward or take the canal route. (Faster route)

Q3) We hope to make it as far as thousand Islands national park (Wellesley Island) - can anyone recommend "must see" locations along the way?

Q4) Same as Q3 but can anyone recommend anchorage spots? Anything to be aware of?

Thanks in Advance!

Chris
cbrooks999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 16:01   #2

Boat: 1986 Endeavour 42
Re: Thousand Islands

Welcome, if you make it as far as Wellesley Island I would stop at Boldt Castle (American side), the Boldt Castle Boat House (Canadian side because of US prohibition) and Singer Castle (also on the American side). If you decide to go to Boldt Castle there is a US Customs station at the dock. Depending on when you go watch out for plenty of boaters with no clue, tankers, and tourism boats. Watch your charts because they are many shoals, anchoring is plentiful and will depend on the wind direction, you may want to check Active Captain to help plan your anchorages.

Have a great time, it is beautiful there.

Joe
SV Bonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:00   #3

Re: Thousand Islands

Hi Chris,

The Bay of Quinte does not have a speed limit. However practically speaking there are quite a number of small craft that could be swamped by a large cruiser particularly around Belleville. As you get further down the bay you can put the hammer down harder and harder.

It's well worth doing the Murray/bay of quinte route. I've done it 6 times and would happily do it again.

I've never stayed in Brighton. Cobourg- Belleville is an easy day run in a power boat. I've done the trip always Cobourg- Belleville, twice in a 60' power cat, twice in a 60' power mono and twice in an 18' Rib (did over 25 knots the whole way except the canal).

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote