Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2018, 09:57   #466

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Thread for Basic COLREGS Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
Going to the west coast with a boat is not an option. Not with Calif tax laws.
There’s a lot more to the west coast than CA.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 10:44   #467

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
Going to the west coast with a boat is not an option. Not with Calif tax laws.
Florida has a west coast too
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 08:06   #468

Boat: 2018 Senesco 110'

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
BTW, the USCG confirmed to me that BoatUS page is wrong - the engine DOES have to be in gear and actually propelling the vessel for it to be considered a motorboat. The engine just being on and out of gear does not change a sailboat's status. I thought that was clear from the colregs rule, but also thought it worth double checking with USCG because I was surprised that BoatUS would get it wrong.
Do you have a link to that USCG ruling? We're having a similar discussion on GCaptain.
Old 26-07-2018, 14:23   #469

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
BTW, the USCG confirmed to me that BoatUS page is wrong - the engine DOES have to be in gear and actually propelling the vessel for it to be considered a motorboat. The engine just being on and out of gear does not change a sailboat's status. I thought that was clear from the colregs rule, but also thought it worth double checking with USCG because I was surprised that BoatUS would get it wrong.
And what happens in court in the aftermath of a collision?

Would it not be argued that a sailing boat with engine on, but not in gear, could have easily engaged its gearbox to avoid the collision?

Of course it would.

That's been the advice since before 1874.

See Charles Bushell, The Rigger's Guide and the Seaman's Assistant: Containing Practical Instructions for Completely Rigging Ships. 5th ed. The Hard, Portsmouth: Griffin & Co. 1874. p. 221.
Old 26-07-2018, 14:39   #470

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
And what happens in court in the aftermath of a collision?

Would it not be argued that a sailing boat with engine on, but not in gear, could have easily engaged its gearbox to avoid the collision?

Of course it would.

That's been the advice since before 1874.

See Charles Bushell, The Rigger's Guide and the Seaman's Assistant: Containing Practical Instructions for Completely Rigging Ships. 5th ed. The Hard, Portsmouth: Griffin & Co. 1874. p. 221.

If you are trying to get that deceptive wouldn’t the sailboat just turn the engine off and thus the argument you just made is moot. This could go on for days and is the reason that I have been arguing that what is actually happening on the sailboat is of little importance. What the captain is declaring to the world is happening is the only thing an external boat can deal with.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck a DNA test is not needed to call it a duck.
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 15:22   #471

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post

I'd hardly consider a "riggers guide" to be an authoritative source for Admiralty Court rulings.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 15:32   #472

Boat: Moana 33

So maybe the courteous thing would be for a boat under sail, while running its engines in neutral, to hoist the cone. It only becomes an issue while beating up a narrow channel, or in very crowded waters, thus the sailboat with engine running (not in gear) can announce to other sailboats, "Don't bother keeping out of my way as I can easily manoeuvre around you when necessary by engaging gear." Now that would be common courtesy, wouldn't it?

But until that cone is hoisted he is asking to be treated equally with other sailboats.
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 20:40   #473
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
I would have thought that Col Reg was self evident, the col regs dont talk about motor boats, they talk of a vessell operating mechanical propulsion, It doesnt matter if the engines are running it matters if the vessel is operation mechanical propulsion.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 20:40   #474
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog View Post
So maybe the courteous thing would be for a boat under sail, while running its engines in neutral, to hoist the cone. It only becomes an issue while beating up a narrow channel, or in very crowded waters, thus the sailboat with engine running (not in gear) can announce to other sailboats, "Don't bother keeping out of my way as I can easily manoeuvre around you when necessary by engaging gear." Now that would be common courtesy, wouldn't it?

But until that cone is hoisted he is asking to be treated equally with other sailboats.
And he is entitled to that
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 21:05   #475

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Sailboats going neutral on their engines in an attempt to gain privilege is deceitful and unseaman-like. Worthy of disdain.

A motorboat with steadying sails, not to be confused with a sailboat:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SailsunderSuisunbridges-1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	174416  
Old 26-07-2018, 21:21   #476
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Sailboats going neutral on their engines in an attempt to gain privilege is deceitful and unseaman-like. Worthy of disdain.

I see sails so this a sailboat, only becomes a motorboat after you hoist the cone.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 22:02   #477

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:

That is quite clearly "A vessel proceeding under sail". Whether it is "also being propelled by machinery " is unclear. Where's your cone?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 04:41   #478

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Quote:

You may think that but I would treat you as a sailboat without the motoring cone. That is why there is confusion. You shouldn’t have to know about how much sail area is needed to drive a particular boat to determine if it is a sailboat. If you were going 8 knots it might be abundantly clear but what if you were drifting at 3?
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 05:33   #479

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
You may think that but I would treat you as a sailboat without the motoring cone. That is why there is confusion. You shouldn’t have to know about how much sail area is needed to drive a particular boat to determine if it is a sailboat. If you were going 8 knots it might be abundantly clear but what if you were drifting at 3?
Call and ask. Try to be polite too.
Old 27-07-2018, 11:43   #480

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
I have seen a motor-sailor like this with a big cone painted directly on the sails.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation