Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2015, 13:18   #1

Traveled to 9 countries without a passport

How my brother in law managed to travel to 9 counties without a passport.

As I stated back in 2013, how my bil wanted to travel to the Philippines but was unable due to the fact that he wasn't able to get a passport.

In the summer of 2013 my bil was given an opportunity to crew from Hawaii to New Zealand.

He manage to make his way to New Zealand, the Solomon Islands, Papua New Guinea, Indonesia, Malaysia, then into Thailand and the rest of Southeast Asia.

He ended up in Hong Kong made his way to the U.S. Embassy, where he told them the story how he managed to get to Hong Kong and wanted to go home.

Long story short. The U.S. Embassy issued him a temporary passport valid for only 30 days, enough time for the Hong Kong government to deport him back to the states.

I have to admit that I'm so impressed how he was able to travel to all these counties without a passport and with so little money too ( under $1000.00)

I just picked him up from Hnl airport where he flew in from Japan as his connection flight on Sunday.
Old 02-04-2015, 13:20   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Traveled to 9 countries without a passport

the real question is why he didn't have a passport in the first place
Old 02-04-2015, 13:20   #3

My old posting:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rt-104408.html
Old 02-04-2015, 13:41   #4

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mai-tide View Post
So since he did go through with it i'm guessing the child support and taxes are still an open issue? Must be nice to throw responsibilites out the window and go sailing around the world while I pay my taxes and raise a family.

Good for him
Old 02-04-2015, 13:42   #5

So I take it he hasn't bothered to take care of his kids and he probably caused some poor officials a lot of grief trying to figure out what to do with him.
Old 02-04-2015, 14:26   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

All by boat? I find this VERY hard to believe.

Every one of the countries you mention would have required a passport and visa before he was allowed off the boat. And the skipper would have received large fines in every country for bringing him without the necessary documentation.
Old 02-04-2015, 14:29   #7

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Probably best not to advertise the fact.
Old 02-04-2015, 14:41   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Don't worry too much. The last two times I came into the US, I just walked in. One out of a dingy, one down a boarding ramp. Officially, I left the US and still haven't come back. I entered France once the same way, well, actually worse, the man REFUSED to stamp my passport and stormed away to lunch.

Go figure.

Entering any country, no problem. Failing to SHOW proof of entry? Grounds for an espionage charge in some places.
Old 02-04-2015, 15:17   #9

When my bil landed in Malaysia, from there he traveled by car, bus and train. I asked him how he was able to cross into other countries, he stated to me, that it was easy, cause the boarders over there are not fence and heavily patrol like in the states with Mexico. He said he just walked across some rice paddies and had to cross a few river. He said the hardest crossing was into Hong Kong, it's heavily patrol. So he hopped into some fishermen boat .

I asked him what did he do for money. He said the only time that he was really working was at the red light district in Thailand, where he was paid a commission bringing tourist into the brothels.

I asked him was he ever stop and asked to produce a passport. He said several times when the local cops would stop him, he would produce his Hawaiian driver license, as a form of id and said he left his passport in the hotel room.

He stated to me that he had the most amazing time of his life for the past 20 months of his life. Living out of his back pack. Rent free. And when he was low on funds he said that there were always Americans willing to let him couch surf and gave him a few dollars.
Old 02-04-2015, 15:39   #10
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
I asked him what did he do for money. He said the only time that he was really working was at the red light district in Thailand, where he was paid a commission bringing tourist into the brothels.
He seems like an outstanding young man. We sure need more like him.
Old 02-04-2015, 16:17   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
He seems like an outstanding young man. We sure need more like him.

Being stuck in a 3rd world country and broke is a nightmare. But with the opportunity of working with hot chicks and get paid too, I'm hella jealous.

Here I am stuck working 9-5 living from paycheck to paycheck hoping a million buck gonna drop on my lap.

Hat off to my bil..... He lived a life that most of us here only can day dream. To top that off he did it with no money from the beginning. It takes huge balls and courage to do what he did (also being a moron helps)

I can't wait til my kids are full grown and wife leaving me for a younger man. As soon as either of those happens, I'm gonna be out and about, drifting in the sea hoping to get work at some brothels.....
Old 02-04-2015, 16:31   #12

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Being stuck in a 3rd world country and broke is a nightmare. But with the opportunity of working with hot chicks and get paid too, I'm hella jealous.

Here I am stuck working 9-5 living from paycheck to paycheck hoping a million buck gonna drop on my lap.

Hat off to my bil..... He lived a life that most of us here only can day dream. To top that off he did it with no money from the beginning. It takes huge balls and courage to do what he did (also being a moron helps)

I can't wait til my kids are full grown and wife leaving me for a younger man. As soon as either of those happens, I'm gonna be out and about, drifting in the sea hoping to get work at some brothels.....
Personally, I have been poor and I have even been poor in 3rd world countries. I have even been to brothels. Even without worrying about getting caught it was all quite depressing.
Old 02-04-2015, 17:07   #13

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Why wait? You seem to admire your BIL so follow his example to the full: abandon the wife & kids and go...if you can stick the wife dealing with tax issues and other responsibilities then even better.

Personally, I don't see anything admirable about an irresponsible scum bag.
Old 02-04-2015, 17:35   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Why wait? You seem to admire your BIL so follow his example to the full: abandon the wife & kids and go...if you can stick the wife dealing with tax issues and other responsibilities then even better.

Wow scub bag.....

First thing first. My bil is a man that I can never measure up to. He worked as a hotel porter to support his family and never complaints.

His kids are full grown. He owes like $5700 in child support. And a few thousand in taxes.

I don't know how he was able to manage to raise his 2 kids being a porter and provided all their essential.

I myself makes six figure a year and have crap left over each month.

I totally admire his courage and risk that he took to take a trip of a life time without any safety net or money.

Therefore not like he left for 20months with 2 starving kids at home. It was the perfect timing after he was laid off from him job of many years.

Currently he is staying with me and have plans on writing a book about his adventure. (Don't worry for all you folks, there gonna be several chapters about his time working in the brothels
Old 02-04-2015, 17:48   #15
CLOD

Boat: none
Cool Re: Traveled to 9 countries without a passport

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

I agree, but apparently "bil" is like redneck bro in code. You even go on forums to broadcast your envy or their example to achieve in life.