Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2015, 14:18   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi 40
Traveling to the Caymans without USCG documentation

First the good news: If the survey goes well and there are no other hiccups, I hope to close on the purchase of a Lagoon 410 located on St Martin on or about May 1.

Ultimately, I will be keeping the boat on the Mississippi gulf coast. Because of weather and work commitments, I must have the boat in Mississippi no later than June 14. With an estimated 14 - 20 sailing days and a day or two stop along the way, this leaves me little time to complete the title transfer and USCG documentation, which brings me to my two question.

1) If I have a filed but uncompleted expedited USCG documentation application, can I land the boat in the US. I would assume that the bill of sale would suffice.

2) If I have a filed but uncompleted expedited USCG documentation application, can I land in the Caymans for crew change / re-provisioning?

Once again, the most dangerous thing on a cruising boat is the calendar
Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 14:45   #2

Boat: Oyster 55
Re: Traveling to the Caymans without USCG documentation

My advice would be to google Cayman Islands Customs and ask them directly.
Just left there last year after keeping my boat in the Caymans for over a year.
I have always found Customs /Immigration to be very helpful and fair.
If for some reason you cannot connect with them through the Internet just send me a private message and I will find my lists of names and phone numbers which I do not have available at this time.
When you go, just head directly to Georgetown Harbor and pick up an orange mooring ball which is free. They monitor 16 and will be happy to assist. The customs/immigration office is located right at the docks. Just beware to time your arrival when there are no cruise ships coming in or you will have a very long wait. I have counted as many as 6 cruise ships at one time on that little island. The immigration people will know what days the cruise ships arrive. I do not like cruise ships.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 09:17   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
My advice would be to google Cayman Islands Customs and ask them directly.
Well, duh.

I just got off the phone with two very courteous and helpful Caymans customs agents who assured me that, "...given my special circumstances," I could certainly stop in as long as I promise to email my documentation information once I have it in hand.

Thanks for the advise. Sometimes I just make things too hard for myself.
Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 12:37   #4

Always great advise here, so don't blame you for posting first, sounds like a great trip, all the best.
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, men