Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2016, 22:12   #1

Boat: Hunter 44ds
Question Trying to get into Mexico but boat has an active TIP from previous owner

Hey all,

We're joining the Baja Haha rally to go to Mexico, but we realize that our boat still has the previous owner's TIP which is active. I realized this because i found the original TIP with hologram and expiration date in 2024. So since i hold the original TIP, is there anyway i can cancel it? Any advice is appreciated. We're getting nervous that we'd get stuck at the border.
SailAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2016, 23:58   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Trying to get into Mexico but boat has an active TIP from previous owner

You might check with the guys at Latitude. Richard has written on this subject afew times,but I do not recall if he had a remedy.

Jim
Old 14-09-2016, 01:16   #3

Boat: warwick 44

What is TIP?
boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 04:26   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris View Post
What is TIP?
TIP = Temporary Import Permit

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 07:18   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

It'a a pain. You will need a notarized letter from a constabul /legal type office then another trip to the Bank to pay for the new one.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 09:29   #6

Boat: Piver, Mariner 26, Serena Salida

Yes, you simply need to cancel the existing TIP (talk to Fito the dockmaster at Marina Coral in Ensenada) and get a new TIP in your name at the same time. It's around $50 for 10 years.

If you're going on the Baja Ha Ha, you might want to go down early and clear into Ensenada to take care of this ahead of time, then join the Ha Ha fleet. I bet a nickel you're not the only one in this position. Ask around on the Cruisers Net and maybe a group of you can take care of this together in Ensenada. It's a common problem, but fortunately not difficult to correct.

You're in a better position than many, who bought a boat with an existing TIP, but the previous owner didn't bother to give the new owner the boat's TIP - or lost it, etc. That has taken time, about $100 and an affidavit.
Pat Rains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 09:53   #7

I'm in the same situation. New boat owner, current TIP in previous owners name. I to need to fix it. And, I don't know if the previous owner went into Mexico and if they did if they cleared when they left!
Dean Sutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 10:09   #8

It's good that you physically have the existing TIP (Temporary Import Permit). As long as the previous owner didn't cancel it, it's valid for the rest of the 10 year period, no matter how many times they went in and out of Mexico. Ask Fito Espinoza at Marina Coral in Ensenada how to cancel that one (you'll need the existing TIP's number), and then you purchase a new one in your name. No problema.
Old 14-09-2016, 10:15   #9

Thank you Pat!
Dean Sutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 10:20   #10
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

Interesting...most people are trying to get out of Mexico...
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 10:31   #11

Boat: Custom Bruce Roberts 370
Send a message via Skype™ to BWSJWS

I suggest you bring your "bill of sale" and current boat registration proving the boat is yours, they might choose to think you stole the boat (seriously).
BWSJWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 10:38   #12

This time of year on the West Coast, we have about a thousand ocean-cruising boats getting prepared to head down Baja into the Sea of Cortez and mainland Mexico. Lots go with the Baja Ha Ha group, but more boats go on their own. If we're counting trailerable boats getting ready to tow south, then way more. Maybe some of those who were down there are driving north now? ... It's currently hurricane season in the eastern Pacific (Mexico, Central America), so the ocean-going boats that summered over down there are pretty much staying put. Unless it's a fast boat with long legs (like many sport fishers), they don't want to get caught on the outside of Baja with a hurricane roaring up behind them. Most boats up here are waiting for late October or November when hurricane season is officially over.
Old 14-09-2016, 11:11   #13

Cate is correct, contact the Latitude 38 folks. They probably been through such issues many times. They also would have better contacts with Mexican officials. While the HaHa usually encounters few bureaucratic problems due to the money it brings to local businesses, with all the current fuss about a Wall of Denial, better to get things squared away asap.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 11:45   #14

Boat: KP44 #279

You'll need to cancel and surrender the old TIP. Theoretically you can do that at Banjercito (MX Gov Bank) at an Embassy, however in reality the people at an Embassy don't deal in this enough to know what to do. (Been there done that).
My boat had an old expired TIP that I didn't physically have or even have any knowledge about. I tried everything, ended up taking the bus from TJ down to Ensenada. Ensenada is the only place that could deal with this and they didn't know what to do! After a day of round trips between Banjercito and Aduana (main office out on the Pier) the Gal at Banjercito finally got fed up with Aduana(Customs) and just told them to issue me an old original TIP for the boat, but in my name. So they made up the old handwritten TIP from 2003, except put my name on it (I bought the boat in 2008), stamped it and promptly canceled it and put it in their loose leaf binder that holds all TIPS prior to 2005 or so when they computerized them. Went back to Banjercito and showed them a canceled TIP and she promptly issued a brand new TIP.
So the moral of the story is; you need to get the old TIP cancelled before they'll issue a new one and that might require a trip to Ensenada. My advice is to give yourself plenty of time and don't wait till the last minute, because this is MX you're dealing with and just because it worked like this or that one day doesn't mean it'll be the same the next day. I made my trip to Ensenada on a Thursday, crossed at TJ at 5:30am on the 6:30 ABC bus to Ensenada and back by 5pm, walked straight through the border at those times, got lucky. Look at it all as part of your MX adventure.
Dwain
dlentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 11:51   #15

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWSJWS View Post
I suggest you bring your "bill of sale" and current boat registration proving the boat is yours, they might choose to think you stole the boat (seriously).

They could think of all kinds of things, there could be another policy change this year. I can't imagine not having a current boat document onboard or at least one with a good fake date.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico