Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 14:46   #16
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: UK courtesy flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Thanks all...though now I know less than I did before. The St.George's cross flag I was sent was what our local big box chandlery calls a "UK courtesy flag". For our Irish landfall, I plan to acquire a proper Irish flag (the bigger the better) at the upcoming St Patty's hoopla that overrruns Newport next week or so.
Nah, just use the flag of St George as your courtesy flag .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 15:09   #17
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

...and since this thread seems to be chirping with various flag bits not necessarily related to the OP, in OZ there's also some confusion between the Australian Red Ensign (the UK Red Ensign, but with the Southern Cross stars in white against the red field) and the National Flag (the same flag, but with a blue field) with the Red Ensign now officially only for vessels on the Australian Register of Ships.

So any Australian-registered non-military vessel overseas should fly the Australian Red Ensign. Vessels visiting Australia, however, should fly the National Flag as their courtesy flag.

Back to our OP and to further assist his/her immediate flag selections (and ensure a warm welcome throughout the UK!) we suggest the 'Splice The Mainbrace' flags. Steeped in British Naval tradition and with a very fun modern usage (basically Cocktail Hour for all!) the four flags signalling Splice The Mainbrace will be welcomed anywhere mariners know thier flags. A short version of the history is at...

Splice The Mainbrace Flags, Floating Impressions

Fair winds & following seas to all
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 16:17   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Thanks again, everybody. I suspect I will enquire of each individual harbor master what he would most like to see while we are in his waters. I will have to secure a larger St. Georges flag if I'm to pass out drunk in it after a....football game, though I hear the safest thing to do re: football is root for whichever Manchester fans you're among at the time.
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 23:52   #19

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
....football game, though I hear the safest thing to do re: football is root for whichever Manchester fans you're among at the time.
Try that while docked in Liverpool and it'll be the last thing you ever do

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 00:10   #20

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

I think you will find in Ireland that you will be made very very welcome in any seaport by sailors if you wear the correctly sized appropriate courtesy flag. The red ensign for the United Kingdom, or, the green white and gold tricolour for Ireland. Flying an oversize flag the size of a bedsheet may be good for your ego but it can also cause offence so respect your hosts and you will have a great time. Ireland is a fantastic place to visit, take 4 or 5 months don't rush your stay, the people are wonderful and full of wit and humour, it's called 'craic' (not the chemical variety). They make fine whisky too so buy some and help our exports !
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote