Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2022, 12:39   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Unnecessary Boat Noise Regulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
All EU boats now must under go a sound test , underpower and pass noise and emissions regs.
I am not sure this is accurate.

Our boat is EU certified, built only recently, and was never subject to a sound test (apart from the test where the owner has to be happy ).

It is a custom construction so other boats could not have served as a suitable test model.

Given the choice, do we need or want to pay for a sound test on our boats? A test sail (motor) will reveal the suitability, or otherwise of sound insulation. Some (mostly expensive) are much quieter than others so the consumer can judge. It is not as if any uniform level exists. If there is any legislation it obviously permits noisy boats with minimal sound insulation because these are not uncommon.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 13:43   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Our boat is EU certified, built only recently, and was never subject to a sound test (apart from the test where the owner has to be happy ).

It is a custom construction so other boats could not have served as a suitable test model.
Yes, but your engine isn't custom, is it? I expect it's sufficient for authorities to know that the engine was installed properly, with the factory-specified exhaust system.

Quote:
Given the choice, do we need or want to pay for a sound test on our boats?
The only tested boats would hypothetically be those reported or "heard" by officials to be excessively noisy.

Unless I'm mistaken, this thread is mostly about boats that are always WTF noisy (eg straight pipes), and/or operators who are inconsiderate when operating their loud go-fast boats around others.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 14:14   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Yes, but your engine isn't custom, is it? I expect it's sufficient for authorities to know that the engine was installed properly, with the factory-specified exhaust system.

The only tested boats will be those reported or "heard" by officials to be excessively noisy.

Unless I'm mistaken, this thread is mostly about boats that are always WTF noisy (eg straight pipes), and/or operators who are inconsiderate when operating their loud go-fast boats around others.
The engine has to pass emission and possibly noise standards before it can be used on an EU boat. These standards are driving the current switch to common rail engines, which I don’t think is sensible. Nevertheless, we are paying for this legislation and its implementation.

However, the sound emitted by the boat will depend on how the engine is installed. The sound proofing of the engine bay and exhaust design etc will have a major effect.

On our boat we could have specified a number of different sound proofing solutions and exhaust design options (even including a dry exhaust). Some of these would have made the engine significantly noisier. This would have made a difference to us as boat owners, but would have made little difference to others.

Do we want or need the extra cost of government testing the noise level of yacht engines? Personally, I think this extra bureaucracy achieves little other than adding to the cost of yacht ownership.
Old 07-06-2022, 16:31   #64

Quote:
Do we want or need the extra cost of government testing the noise level of yacht engines? Personally, I think this extra bureaucracy achieves little other than adding to the cost of yacht ownership.
No, noise levels would only be assessed if someone is apparently in violation. And since most "loud" boats are capable of relatively quiet operation while in a harbour or at no-wake speed, it's mainly going to be the irresponsible operators who attract such attention from authorities.

(and i've not yet heard a sailboat engine at anywhere near offensive sound levels, if you're concerned about yours )
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 17:01   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
No, noise levels would only be assessed if someone is apparently in violation.
It was suggested that “All EU boats now must undergo a sound test” See post # 59.

This has not been my experience and I hope this is wrong.

For yachts this adds to the cost with no benefit.
Old 09-06-2022, 11:34   #66
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
It was suggested that “All EU boats now must undergo a sound test” See post # 59.

This has not been my experience and I hope this is wrong.

For yachts this adds to the cost with no benefit.

If you read the rcd you will see the addition of the sound specifications. If you have a low power ( there’s a froude number limit ) engine then certain aspects are exempt. If you do a post construction CE certification since 2020 you may have to do a sound bypass test. ( again depending on the power of the engine ) This is not Based on the engine manufacturer it’s an actual test with the engine installed in the boat.

Larger yachts would most likely be outside the exemption.

But you are correct I should have qualified my statement. All eu yachts are covered by the new extensions to the RCD which include emissions and sound , but excemptions exist for smaller engines.
Old 09-06-2022, 17:56   #67

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Well that’s interesting. I’ve not seen any euro boat not taken great pride in engine room sound deadening and a quiet wet exhaust from the marine drive line. Will keep the fraudsters off the European market. Very good move
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
regulations, noise, boat