Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2013, 06:10   #16

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Re: US Citizen sailing to Puerto Rico

Just answered my own question from the Noonsite.com page. It is a voluntary option to register for the LBO. Thank you all. Dave Aloisius
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 06:14   #17

Now, once I get inot PR, do I have to comply with all of the US Coast Guard Regs on the boat. Example.

My boat is from 1983 and and has been in Europe and Caribbean. It does not have a holding tank, I expect my flares are out of date, ect.

Without a discussion if this is safe, are there regulations that I need to comply too?

If so, where is this information?

I am under Caribbean Island compliance.
Old 20-11-2013, 06:18   #18

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
If your vessel is documented in the US then you are supposed to have the required safety gear onboard, life jackets, flares, fire extinguishers etc. In practice I would doubt that your vessel will be boarded but you never know. I believe a bucket can successfully be argued to meet the MSD type 3 criteria. All requirements are on the USCG website someplace.

What is Caribbean Island compliance and why would you think a US Documented vessel in US waters would not have to comply with USCG regs?
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 09:15   #19

I assumed that whatever waters I was in then I would need to be compliant to there regulations.
I own a motorcycle in ME, registered in ME. I drive to NH; I can take my helmet off and be legal. Maybe not smart, but legal.
Old 20-11-2013, 17:44   #20

I do have to say that I have taken more time figuring out to get back into the states than I ever have in getting to an island in the Caribbean. That being French or English. I am also a US citizen, I am happy that I am not from another country.
Old 21-11-2013, 03:28   #21
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

The only major difference I've experienced is that most countries in the eastern Caribbean require all crew to stay on board while the captain clears in, while the US requires all on board to "report for inspection". In actual fact, I've also found when clearing in at US ports of entry the agents to be more professional and the process to be less time consuming than most other countries. The French islands are the easiest, however.
Old 21-11-2013, 05:58   #22

I have always found the airport entry to be very professional. I would expect the same by sea.
Old 27-11-2013, 00:32   #23

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

PLEASE -- for those who told me to do my research -- we have been in and out of 29 different countries on our boat -we have had to get extra passport pages - we have dealt with a variety of officials and never had such terrible experience as with the US officials in puerto rico -- here in tunisia getting cleared in and not speaking arabic or french was a challenge but the officials worked with me and me with them and in the end we ended up laughing and patting each other on the back
we i left the usa we were one of the first to have the local boaters option but it was only good in florida -

and yes the next time we go to the us when ever that will be - we will simply sail in
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 13:05   #24
h20

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
Good morning, I am a US citizen and plan to sail from Grenada to Puerto Rico in December and then back to Grenada in January. I looked at a thread and saw a site to read:
Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands - CBP.gov
I have been sailing 5 years around the Windward’s and Leeward’s, there are few rules about boat safety equipment, holding tanks, ect. What will I encounter in PR.? Will it be similar to what I have experienced down here? I am US Coast Guard Registered.
Thanks s/v Aloisius
Why do you go to customs if you are a citizen? how do they know your comming from out of the US? can't you just show your drivers lic?
h20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 14:01   #25
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

US citizens need to clear in if they've been to another country, and declare any items you're bringing with you that are subject to customs duties. To clear in, you'll need a valid passport. Driver licenses don't cut it any more.
Old 22-12-2013, 14:09   #26

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

To expand on Hud's comments: to include vessels arriving from the USVI which is still part of the US.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 17:02   #27

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

You really do want the decal. They will make you pay for it anyway when you arrive but if you have it they often dont even want to come to the boat. Whenever they came to my boat they seemed way more worried about unpackaged food products than anything else. They were very polite and professional.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 20:25   #28

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
I assumed that whatever waters I was in then I would need to be compliant to there regulations.
I own a motorcycle in ME, registered in ME. I drive to NH; I can take my helmet off and be legal. Maybe not smart, but legal.
Actually, you couldn't be further from the truth. As a US flagged vessel, you MUST comply with US Regulations at all times. A USCG vessel may stop and board your boat at any time in any location. And if you are out of compliance, you can ans will be cited and fined.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:45   #29

Boat: Islander Yachts Corp, Bahamas 30 shoal draft 4 ft
Send a message via MSN to casique8

call by phone customs first with out stepping on to pier to and ask port of call, week ends closed

Sent from my SM-G900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
Puerto Rico, sail, sailing