Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2015, 13:02   #1

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
USCG Certificate of Documentation

What would happen if, say, while putting away one's new USCG certificate, one became distracted, left the old one in the file and ripped the new one in half before realizing the error?

And why does it cost twice as much to reprint it than to renew it?

Finally, do other people do these stupid things?
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 13:15   #2

Boat: Catana 471
Re: USCG Certificate of Documentation

Good thing you made a pdf of it first...

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 15:41   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

You can get a new one from NVDC. They will also email/FAX you a certified copy (sure is handy when well off the beaten path). Don't recall the fees, but they are published on the NVDC site.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 15:44   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
Good thing you made a pdf of it first...

Dave
I always try to scan copies of important documents. With high quality cheap printing available almost everywhere now you can just print another one. I've done that and yet to have officials question it. Though of course some venues may be pickier than others.
Old 14-08-2015, 16:45   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
You can get a new one from NVDC. They will also email/FAX you a certified copy (sure is handy when well off the beaten path). Don't recall the fees, but they are published on the NVDC site.
The new one is $50! The copy is only $4. I was wondering if I could keep the mutilated one and a complete copy. For now, I have the old one and the new, mutilated one.
Old 15-08-2015, 03:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
The new one is $50! The copy is only $4. I was wondering if I could keep the mutilated one and a complete copy. For now, I have the old one and the new, mutilated one.
How often do you cross international borders?

If you do, then officials are not likely to be pleased with a mutilated registration document. If not, you could just wait till next years renewal.

Or, why not just spend the $4?
Old 15-08-2015, 07:49   #7

Got tape?
Sojurnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 09:31   #8

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

I see you're in San Diego so I assume your concern is going to Mexico? Just imagine being in front of the federale's with your boat confiscated and how cheap $50 would be to make it all go away.....
If you're just worried about the local Coasties pulling you over for a "safety check" it probably isn't a problem . But then again.... $50 to not have a problem? Do you keep any back up parts for your boat? Did they cost $50 or more? Cheap insurance in my book. I don't like paying the fee to be documented so I ""get" being frugal. To me, paying a fee to allow the government to take my boat at will would be akin to paying a fee to catch the flu.
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 11:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by duefocena View Post
I see you're in San Diego so I assume your concern is going to Mexico? Just imagine being in front of the federale's with your boat confiscated and how cheap $50 would be to make it all go away.....
If you're just worried about the local Coasties pulling you over for a "safety check" it probably isn't a problem . But then again.... $50 to not have a problem? Do you keep any back up parts for your boat? Did they cost $50 or more? Cheap insurance in my book. I don't like paying the fee to be documented so I ""get" being frugal. To me, paying a fee to allow the government to take my boat at will would be akin to paying a fee to catch the flu.
I don't mind paying for parts. I don't like paying for being stupid

We are going to call on Monday. It turns out that they didn't process the change of address, so we want to make sure that is taken care of at the same time.
Old 15-08-2015, 15:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
I don't mind paying for parts. I don't like paying for being stupid

Ah, there is the crux of the problem! I call it "Stupid Tax" and find its usually best just to buck up and pay it...rather than doing something else foolish to try and fix it. This way you only do something dumb once rather than compounding the problem. ;-)
Old 15-08-2015, 16:58   #11

Boat: 34' Trawler

I invested in a laminator for all of my documents that I keep on the boat. You can do that, or take them somewhere and have them laminated. With a three hole punch, and a notebook/binder you can create a moisture resistant document library with all important papers. Routes, waypoints, Documentation, cruising permits, etc.

Works for me.

(I never throw away any old/expired Documentation Certificates or cruising permits, etc. They come in handy at times)
Rick2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 13:10   #12

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Not quite on point but I haven't used my scanners much for a long time. Just take a photo with your phone and massage with Photoshop (or some other graphics program if necessary). Email it to yourself as a backup.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 16:02   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellanyachts View Post
Not quite on point but I haven't used my scanners much for a long time. Just take a photo with your phone and massage with Photoshop (or some other graphics program if necessary). Email it to yourself as a backup.
For Android phones, there is a great app called Genius Scan. It takes the picture, automatically adjusts the image, and produces good quality scans.
Old 17-08-2015, 13:42   #14

I finally convinced the managing owner that we need to pay the stupid tax, as another poster called. All I have heard back is the results of the title search, so I am hoping he didn't get too distracted with history and forget what he was supposed to be doing.
Old 17-08-2015, 13:58   #15

Color copy your document. There is even paper stock available that is identical color. I never took my original off the boat when checking into other countries... just in case.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, men