Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2015, 15:24   #1

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel
USCG Documentation Services

Unclear to me what the actual advantage is of using a service such a Gloria Rector at $50 + the $26 USCG fee to keep your documentation current.
I appreciate that IF the documentation expires it is a huge and expensive redo. But now a days what risk is there really. Doesn't the USCG send out a notification to renew??? And you can renew on line. What's the actual service these folks offer, what am I actually paying for??? I have asked and searched but am still wondering the cost benefit value.

Russ In VT waiting to migrate South for the winter. Less than 40 degrees and I'm gone!
Old 19-08-2015, 17:11   #2

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: USCG Documentation Services

I used a documentation service once in 6 times and my answer is you get nothing but another bill to pay.
The process is quite simple the problem is the horrendous ridiculous horrific backlog at the National Documentation Center.
I have had far too much interaction with the NVDC lately and I always try and follow up with a nastygram about the time it takes to get anything through the system.

They truly give Government a bad name. It should not take months to get paperwork through that I am required by law to have.
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 17:54   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

I have no idea who or what Gloria Rector is, but one of the things I like about my mail forwarding service (St. Brendan's Isle) is that they automatically renew my documentation for me when it arrives in the mail.
This is very convenient considering I may not be in the USA and I may not see my mail for a couple of months.
Old 19-08-2015, 17:57   #4

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
I have no idea who or what Gloria Rector is, but one of the things I like about my mail forwarding service (St. Brendan's Isle) is that they automatically renew my documentation for me when it arrives in the mail.
This is very convenient considering I may not be in the USA and I may not see my mail for a couple of months.
Does SBI still do that even though there is now a charge for the document from the USCG?
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 18:19   #5

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Unclear to me what the actual advantage is of using a service such a Gloria Rector at $50 + the $26 USCG fee to keep your documentation current.
I appreciate that IF the documentation expires it is a huge and expensive redo. But now a days what risk is there really. Doesn't the USCG send out a notification to renew??? And you can renew on line. What's the actual service these folks offer, what am I actually paying for??? I have asked and searched but am still wondering the cost benefit value.

Russ In VT waiting to migrate South for the winter. Less than 40 degrees and I'm gone!
We used a documentation service during our purchase. They identified a bank lien that we, the broker or the owner didn't.

It was an expired lien that wasn't removed by an acquired bank 15 years ago.

They allowed us to put half the purchase price in escrow until the seller had the lien removed. This saved us a lot of hassle and potential issues with USCG deregestration and reregistration in Australia.

Not sure if you need it for a renewal though.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 03:37   #6

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

We also used a service when we purchased our boat. After that, no. I even let it expire for a number of years while she was on the hard in my yard. I renewed it myself with no problem, just took some time. The USCG center sent the app back due to some problem on my end. I just re did it with the required fees and voila, we were legal again.

I can see where it could be advantages in a situation such as FSMike explained, but normally no need. The USCG web site is not so bad.
Old 20-08-2015, 05:57   #7

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMetau View Post
Does SBI still do that even though there is now a charge for the document from the USCG?
Bless their hearts they sure do. They just pass the additional fee on to you.

Tags
documentation, men, service