Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2015, 09:36   #46

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius
Re: USCG documentation vs. state registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
In WA state you have to register your boat and pay a sales tax if purchased here, or a use tax if purchased elsewhere. Here are the details, with the exceptions:

"
You must title and register your boat in Washington State:
  • Within 60 days of moving to Washington with the boat.
  • Within 15 days of buying the boat, if you live in Washington and bought the boat in another state.
Registration requirements

Unless specifically exempt, you must meet all Washington state registration requirements when using a documented vessel on Washington waters. This means you must register your boat in Washington:
  • Within 60 days of moving to Washington with the vessel.
  • Within 15 days of buying the vessel, if bought it in another state and you live in Washington.
Exempt vessels

• Military vessels
  • Public vessels of the United States or the American Red Cross.
  • Vessels owned by a state, county, or city and used for governmental purposes.
  • Vessels with a marine document as a vessel of the United States that are primarily engaged in commerce, including:
    • Tugs
    • Barges
    • Charter vessels (bare vessel charters or timeshare vessels)
  • Vessels issued a United States Customs Service Cruising License or registered in another country.
    • Vessel is exempt from registration only for the first 60 days of use.
    • On or before the 61st day of use on Washington waters, the owner must obtain a vessel visitor permit as required under RCW 88.02.610.
  • A vessel primarily engaged in commerce that is owned by a resident of a country other than the United States.
  • Vessels registered in another state.
    • Vessel is exempt from registration only for the first 60 days of use.
    • On or before the 61st day of use on Washington state waters, the owner must obtain a nonresident vessel permit as required under RCW 88.02.620.
    • If the principal place of use changes to Washington, the vessel must be registered in Washington.
  • Canoes, kayaks, or vessels that don’t have a motor or sail (strictly human powered).
  • Vessels owned by a nonresident in Washington exclusively for repairs, alteration, or reconstruction.
    • An employee of the repair facility providing these services must be on board the vessel during any testing.
    • The owner must file an affidavit with the Department of revenue by the 61st day to verify the vessel is being serviced.
    • The affidavit must be filed every 60 days thereafter, as long as the vessel is located upon the waters.
  • Vessels less than 16 feet long with a motor of 10 horsepower or less, if used on non-federal waters only.
  • Tenders used for direct transportation between a registered vessel and the shore and for no other purpose. The tender must display the number of the registered vessel followed by the suffix “1”.
  • Vessels 30 ft. or longer purchased by a nonresident that has purchased a use permit issued under RCW 82.08.700 or 82.12.700.
  • Vessels held for sale by a licensed dealer.
  • Vessels used exclusively for commercial fishing must be listed with Washington State Department of Revenue."
I have to pay a "use tax" every year after the first year of registration. This is based on the "value" of the boat and depreciates every year for about 10 years I have heard. It is not cheap. I paid 9.5% sales tax in Seattle and paid over $600 for the renewal. In the past people would register their boat in OR or another state without a sales tax and then leave them up here. Now you have to provide the marina with proof of registration and they walk the docks occasionally to check on boat registrations. If you paid a sales tax in another state you don't have to pay it again but you do have to pay the use tax after 60 days in WA.

Our boat is USCG documented so we do not (can not) display WA state registration numbers but we do have to display the annual registration sticker.

On our last boat we were routinely boarded both at the Customs docks when checking in to a country and a few times by the French navy and the Vanuatu navy. They ask to see your documentation (and passports, etc.). If you do not allow the boarding they will arrest you and seize the boat. At the very least you will pay a substantial fine, be subject to criminal proceedings, and could lose the boat. We never got boarded in Mexico but numerous friends have. The USCG documentation helps you in these situations but does not confer on you any privilege to not accept a boarding.
Good info although I have to still display state registration even though a charter and when I worked in the bareboat industry decals were required as well. Any thoughts on this? Have we been spending money unnecessarily?
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 07:56   #47

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: USCG documentation vs. state registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellanyachts View Post
Good info although I have to still display state registration even though a charter and when I worked in the bareboat industry decals were required as well. Any thoughts on this? Have we been spending money unnecessarily?

My understanding is that every boat that needs to be registered has to display a registration sticker but that, at least, recreational boats do not have to display state registration numbers, and in fact, it is illegal if the boat is USCG documented. I can't speak to boats in charter although it seems to me that they don't have to display the numbers. I believe commercial fishing boats, and other commercial vessels, have to display some kind of numbers. But you'll have to research that. You'll still have to pay for annual usage fees in any case so it doesn't sound like you would be paying extra.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, men, registration