Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2022, 19:33   #1

Boat: Chrysler C26/Morgan OI 37
USCG HIN does not match number on hull

I just registered my boat with the USCG going off the number on my title. I also looked at the number on the boat and they seemed to match. After sanding on the hull to do some repairs I see that the number is not correct. The first two letters are close but not correct. VK vs MR. Because of the paint parks of the letters were filled in and made them look different.

How much of a problem is it to fix? As I am already in a foreign country should I wait until I get to an easier place? I looked up the correct number and the vessel is inactive. Will the USCG just fix the paperwork or will I need to be inspected by a US Coast Guard?
Skipper_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 20:29   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: USCG HIN does not match number on hull

I would wait. I've never had anyone check the HIN number on the boat, it's rare that they would even look at the vessel number, but if they look for something that's what they will want to see.

It might be easy to fix, and it might not. But if you open the can o' worms you could be stuck without a valid document for a while, which would be a real problem in a foreign port. Few things with the USCG would happen quickly, so even if it is easy, you could expect the paperwork to take 6 months.
Old 02-11-2022, 21:20   #3

Call them and ask, they have got to be the most helpful office in the federal government.

Quote:
Phone Numbers:
Toll Free: (800) 799-8362
Main: (304) 271-2400
Phone Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday)
Phones are not manned on Thursdays

All Times are Eastern Time (Standard or Daylight Savings, when applicable)
When we had to do something similar it was “fill out form CG-1258 with the correct information, tick the box for exchange of CoD, and send it to us along with $84”.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 22:24   #4

Boat: Chrysler C26/Morgan OI 37

Thanks, after much more research I'm going to wait until I get to at least USVI. A little more paint in that area would tide me over.
Skipper_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 04:26   #5

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper_Dan View Post
I just registered my boat with the USCG going off the number on my title. I also looked at the number on the boat and they seemed to match. After sanding on the hull to do some repairs I see that the number is not correct. The first two letters are close but not correct. VK vs MR. Because of the paint parks of the letters were filled in and made them look different.

How much of a problem is it to fix? As I am already in a foreign country should I wait until I get to an easier place? I looked up the correct number and the vessel is inactive. Will the USCG just fix the paperwork or will I need to be inspected by a US Coast Guard?

We bought one of our previous boats brand new... and the dealer (or documentation service) didn't transcribe the HIN correctly.

When I noticed, I furnished NVDC with a tracing of the HIN per their instructions, and they made the change to the doc.

Don't remember it being difficult...

-Chris

Tags
hull