Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2018, 18:19   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: USCG master - worth having? benefits?

[QUOTE=Lihuedooley77;2706481] My USCG license says,
MERCHANT MARINE CAPT. /QUOTE]

Can you post a scan of that? I've asked several times in the past and no one has ever shown a USCG licence containing the word "Captain" or the abbreviation "Capt". (other than the signature block of the real USCG Captain signing it )
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 05:02   #32

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Stu

Not sure that you have a current U.S.C.G. Captains License, let alone five issues, over 25 years, and worked for 30 years under the auspices of those licenses. After accumulated the 720 days at sea documented time to sit for the 100 ton exam. Thar aint no free lunch !

However, I am not going to photo copy or send any official documents to you or anyone else. I do not want a copy of any of my licenses out there in cyber space. That is flat stupid.

Nor my college dipoloma , AA degree in Journalism.

Nor do I want to send out copies of my pilots license....Commercial, multi engine, instrument, nor my CFI ( Certifed Flight Instructor )...rating .

Nor my passport, or my California or Hawaii Drivers licenses.

Nor my Honorable Discharge from the U.S. NAVAL AIR
or my DD -214 that shows my military service in Vietnam.

But, in fact, you are somewhat correct. However if you had a U.S.C.G. license you would know what it says.

The U.S.C.G Merchant Marine Officer license , here in the U.S.A., is commonly referred to as a U.S.C.G. Captains License . That is what us yanks call it. And I was born raised and live in the U.S.A. 78 years now..

__________________________________________________ ________

U.S.C.G License:

Front:

UNITED STATES COAST GUARD
LICENSE
U.S. MERCHANT MARINE OFFICER ISSUE NUMBER 5

This is to certify ( My full name )
Having been duly examined and found competent by the undersigned is licensed to serve for the term of five years from the below date as.

Master of Steam or motor vessels not more than 100 gross tons upon near coastal waters ( see reverse ).

Issue Port: Long Beach, CA Signature of Officer in Charge
Marine Inspection
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reverse

For Vessels under 200 GRT ( Domestic Tonnage), 500 ITC TONNAGE ON DOMESTIC VOYAGES ONLY. The holder of this license meets the STCW ( date) Regulations without further endorsement.

USCG, officers signature.. ASIP, by direction

Officer in Charge, Marine Inspection

Then my signature below that
__________________________________________________ _________

You may want to send your copies of your license and private information out into cyber space or post them on this forum or to total strangers, But I chose not to.

just FYI, in case you want to challenge my aviation career as a CFI, charter pilot and corporate pilot, and the last 17 years as an I.P, flying fighters...5 and 6 G dogfights. Flying professionally and for fun was concurrent with my sailing and motor vessel career. 6500 TT.

Also, I am PADI certified open water SUCBA, and for what it is worth ACE certified personal trainer.

Life is an Adventure, and Erica and I chose to continue living it to the fullest of our abilities. Sure it has slowed somewhat, no more flying air combat, but we are still bare boating, and staying active with feet moving on the planet.

And if this challenge by you is all about being addressed as capt, or skipper, get a grip on reality, show respect, or just use first names. Individual choice. No big deal.

OUT

Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 05:09   #33

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I'm wondering if there are any benefits beyond being able to work commercially in the U.S. Insurance rates, recognition by bareboat charter operators, ease of dealing with bureaucracies here and abroad.

Beyond these? No.
Old 28-08-2018, 05:50   #34

Boat: 1989 Morgan-44CP

Valhalla has it right, take the class for the education but the ticket is not worth the money you have to spend for medical exams, drug test, CPR classes and "user fees". I had my for 20yrs but never used it and finally let it lapse 5 years ago when it was going to cost several hundreds of dollars to renew.

jewt

S/V Bifrost

New Bern , NC
jewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 06:47   #35

Boat: 2018 Senesco 110'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihuedooley77 View Post
Stu

Not sure that you have a current U.S.C.G. Captains License, let alone five issues, over 25 years, and worked for 30 years under the auspices of those licenses. After accumulated the 720 days at sea documented time to sit for the 100 ton exam. Thar aint no free lunch !

However, I am not going to photo copy or send any official documents to you or anyone else. I do not want a copy of any of my licenses out there in cyber space. That is flat stupid.

Nor do I want to send out copies of my pilots license....Commercial, multi engine, instrument, nor my CFI ( Certifed Flight Instructor )...rating .

But, in fact, you are somewhat correct. However if you had a U.S.C.G. license you would know what it says.

The U.S.C.G Merchant Marine Officer license , here in the U.S.A., is commonly referred to as a U.S.C.G. Captains License . That is what us yanks call it. And I was born raised and live in the U.S.A. 78 years now..

U.S.C.G License:

Front:

LICENSE

Having been duly examined and found competent by the undersigned is licensed to serve for the term of five years from the below date as.

Master of Steam or motor vessels not more than 100 gross tons upon near coastal waters ( see reverse ).

Marine Inspection
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reverse

For Vessels under 200 GRT ( Domestic Tonnage), 500 ITC TONNAGE ON DOMESTIC VOYAGES ONLY. The holder of this license meets the STCW ( date) Regulations without further endorsement.

You may want to send your copies of your license and private information out into cyber space or post them on this forum or to total strangers, But I chose not to.

just FYI, in case you want to challenge my aviation career as a CFI, charter pilot and corporate pilot, and the last 17 years as an I.P, flying fighters...5 and 6 G dogfights. Flying professionally and for fun was concurrent with my sailing and motor vessel career. 6500 TT.

Also, I am PADI certified open water SUCBA, and for what it is worth ACE certified personal trainer.

Life is an Adventure, and Erica and I chose to continue living it to the fullest of our abilities. Sure it has slowed somewhat, no more flying air combat, but we are still bare boating, and staying active with feet moving on the planet.

And if this challenge by you is all about being addressed as capt, or skipper, get a grip on reality, show respect, or just use first names. Individual choice. No big deal.

OUT

How old is this license? They no longer have the front and back but a little red book (Yay Chairman Mao) the size of a passport.

Edit- to the OP, I have always recommended getting the largest possible ticket the USCG will give you. You never know when it'll come in handy.
Old 28-08-2018, 06:51   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Stu

yada, yada.yada
Thank you for confirming that you were wrong when you stated "My USCG license says, MERCHANT MARINE CAPT"

and for re-confirming once again , that a USCG Licence does not entitle the holder to use the honorific "Captain".
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 07:13   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I don't know if the required expenses for acquiring the masters license have increased over the years, but when I obtained the equivalent "ocean operator's license", as this was called in 1976, the only significant expense was the choice of taking a course to prepare for the test.

If you're a self-disciplined learner, these's no reason to pay for a course. All the required knowledge content is easily available and now accessible online. I was thrilled to obtain my license. In the 1970's there was a great demand for crew boat operators in the gulf states and job recruiters were waiting outside the testing locations with offers. I never used my license for any career application and never renewed, but the knowledge gained to earn it was significant.

Strangely, I have no idea where my university diploma is located that gave me my career, but my ocean operator's license is framed and mounted.
Old 28-08-2018, 07:26   #38

Boat: Little Harbor 58

When I bought Sovereignty 12 years ago, I was gung ho to get a 100 ton license. While taking the OUPV course in Ft. Lauderdale, FL I was discussing what I was doing with a lawyer in the Southport bar, and he did not think it would be worth while since I would not be putting the boat into charter. He explained that the ticket could be a detriment in the event of a collision with another pleasure craft. Your word against his word and you are expected to have the experience and knowledge to avoid it. Also, the insurance is higher when you receive pay from passengers or cargo. I finished the course but never applied for the ticket. I learned a lot and have been glad I took the course. It was easier than the racing rules are to remember. To this day, I still have to use a cheat sheet on lights for ships under way.
FlightPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 08:04   #39
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
. Also, the insurance is higher when you receive pay from passengers or cargo.
Not sure what is being said here, but if you are implying that commercial insurance is more expensive than recreational insurance for the same boat, yes, obviously so and no surprises there.
The flip side of course is that the cargo and paying passengers are paying for passage and the vessel and the Master make money so the increased insurance becomes an investment.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:43   #40

Don't want to hijack the thread, but what constitutes valid documentation for a CG license if you're a boat owner?

Thanx
jimp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:17   #41

Boat: Gulf 32

Quote:
Stu

U.S.C.G License:

Front:

LICENSE

Marine Inspection

Reverse

OUT

Well a big whoop de do
Old 03-09-2018, 10:54   #42

Boat: Morgan 452

OK - fair warning - I used to teach OUPV and Master's Classes for Mariners Learning Systems before the became an all on-line school. I taught for 3 weekends a month, ten months a year, for about three years.

Just to clear up a few misconceptions - In order to get your OUPV, you must pass four tests. Rules of the Road is a 30 question test and you must pass with a 90%. General Navigation is also 30 questions and requires a 70% to pass. General Deck and Seamanship is 60 questions - again 70% to pass. Chart Plotting is a 10 question test - 70% to pass (yeah, you can miss three). Chart Plotting is done on an actual paper chart with parallel rules and dividers. If you have never done it, this is the one that kicks most people's a..... especially since it doesn't matter what your answer is - you have to match that with the appropriate USCG answer.

All of these are multiple choice tests and the questions come from the USCG database. It doesn't matter where you take the test - Regional Exam Center or school - they are all using the same database of questions. Charlie Wing has a book out where he lists every question in the database. The question database used to be open to the public, then it was closed, then open (repeat ad nauseum). I think right now the database is closed, so you MIGHT see questions that are no longer in the database if you go to an REC to take the test. If you go to a school, you are going to be taught the answers to the questions you will see.

If you go for your masters, it is one additional test (I don't remember how many questions), with a 70% pass (see my earlier comment on subject).

For your FIRST exam, you can use any sea time since your fifteenth birthday. Once you get a license, you must renew every five years, so you can only use the five previous years sea time. If you do not have the sea time required, you can take two exams, one on ROR, one on general knowledge, to renew your license.

In addition to passing the exam and having the sea time, you have to hold a CPR certification, a First Aid certification and pass a drug test AND be in a random drug testing program. If you are in one for your job (many people are), that will count. If not, you have to join a "consortium" that provides random drug testing.

Of course, if you are not "using" your license, all of that can lapse - but you need to keep it up to date if you are using the license.
CaptFrankM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:50   #43

Send a message via Skype™ to Capt. Mike Maurice

I have had a USCG license since 1965. An OUVP then an Ocean Operators, then Master Near Coastal.
I don't know everything, but I know a lot. I ran deep sea fishing boats with paying passengers out of Columbia River, then deliveries. Some of those deliveries have been 4-5 thousand mile passages across the N and S Pacific. 300 runs up and down the US Pacific Coast.
If you want to know the basics about USCG licenses, read the CFRs: part 46. If you want clarification of those CFRs ask someone with plenty of experience. The easy part is getting the license, the hard part is staying alive and hanging on to it. There is a lot of bogus info circulating about licenses.

I will give you my story and you can get what you can out of it.
I never took a class. I crammed for 10 days in 1965, I was 19, I took the exam and passed it. Well, not so fast.
I missed 3 on the rules of the road(85%), that's not passing. I told the Chief that one of the errors was a clerical error. He rolled his eyes. I told him that anyone who did not know the answer to red and green from dead ahead to 2 points abaft the beam had no business taking the exam. He looked at me like I was a dead Mackerel. But, said he would accept the argument, but if I failed any of the next parts I was out. I made no more clerical errors that day.

I am on my 10th or 11th renewal and I never use my sea time for renewal, but take the test. The test let's me know what the CG is interested in. There is always something new and it is open book. I am not interested in gaming the system, just staying ahead of an accident.

If you are involved in an accident, your old paperwork will be gone through with a fine comb. The investigators will find any mistakes or fraud. If there is any you will be in double trouble.
Having or not having a "ticket" will have no bearing on how you will be treated in the case of an accident (see Rule 2(a)), "Nothing in these rules shall exonerate...owner, master or crew... of any neglect to comply...". If this quote is not complete enough for you then you should read "Farwell's Rules of the Nautical Road" and when discussing the Nav Rules, refer to the rules, not your interpretation.
Reading that book will take you down the road to being a professional, instead of an amateur. In this business there are amateurs with licenses and professionals with licenses, there is gulf between the two and you won't get professional by bluffing.

As to whether you need more tonnage or an ocean endorsement. I have run boats up to 125', needing and not needing a license. If you have a license of any kind, what you have on your resume is more likely to get your next project. But, get this: if you are in over your head, make damn sure you succeed.

As for sea time. The CG would prefer recent sea time. There is a old saying that: "young men know all the rules and old men know all the exceptions". The diploma mills are in the business of getting students licensed, period. Remember what I said:"getting the license is easier than keeping it". If you read the CFRs carefully you will find that there are exceptions. No, I am not going to show you where. In a sense you are not entitled to use the exemptions, unless you can quote them and that requires reading the CFRs. You will never make professional without knowing the CFRs.

Now, to get practical. I hold a 100 ton Masters License Near Coastal. The insurance people have never withheld coverage for any project that I agreed to do. Not because of the tonnage restriction on my license but because of the experience on my resume and the details in the plans that I have made for trips. A couple of times I have them complain that they wanted to approve my crew, I nixed that in short order. In fact the problem was their inexperience, not mine. In the marine trades there is absolutely no substitute for success. When you take a paying job, you are going to war, make sure that you are the victor.

You don't normally need to retake all the exams when you renew. But, if you were to let the license lapse for more than a year and intend to renew you should file a special form with the USCG. This "trick" and it's name, I leave for your further study, as your math teacher once remarked. The study includes knowing when the form has to be filed.

If you just want a license, that is easy. Take "whatever" experience you have inland, lakes, etc. and get a license for that.

By the way if you are wondering why I don't get a bigger tonnage license. The answer is what for?
I am not planning on running a paying passenger vessel of over 100 tons and if I was going to I would go down to the CG and beg, borrow or steal whatever arguments and exemptions I needed to get more tonnage. Would it work? I don't know! But, I have argued with them for over 50 years and never lost.
I went for a renewal test some years ago on Wed. before thanksgiving. The examiner handed back the results a 55%, failed. I told him that was impossible. He said it was too late to call headquarters in Wash. DC. On Friday morning he called. They had used the wrong "key", that I had scored 95%. If they used the wrong key. I got 55% by accident?

It's alright to be possessive of your license and endorsements, just keep in mind that it is better to be alive and accident free. A number of my friends and acquaintances are not.
Capt. Mike Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 13:30   #44

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

It is worth the time and effort to get the ticket.
Norm
Averisera
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 14:12   #45

Send a message via Skype™ to Capt. Mike Maurice

While I was writing my last post, CaptFrankM posted an accurately based article about the School Based work he had done. I would add some comments. He is correct that the CG wants time after you are fifteen. However, I have three sons who are entitled to time before they were 16. Don't bother arguing with me about this. It's the CG where the arguing is going to be done.

I present the issue that you may learn something about exemptions which I was trying to get across in my previous post.

First, two of the boys have been in the military since they could have had their licenses. There are exemptions for that.

Second, the business about the 16 requirement was not implemented until after they turned 16.

Third, they have detailed documentation of dates, places, routes and vessel documentation numbers with gross tonnage for over ten years worth of trips between the time they were 8 and 20. These trips include long range passages across the South Pacific, but more importantly over 100 trips along the Pacific Coast, the Caribbean, the US Atlantic Coast, the Panama Canal, Alaska, etc. Some of these trips were in the North Pacific in winter time dodging storms up to 90 knots. Sometimes out in storms up to 45 knots.

Fourth, they were not bystanders, but were in charge by themselves in running the helm at all hours, day and night. Doing collision avoidance with large, high speed ships. By the time they were 10 they could each do the radar interpretation for dodging large ships, at night, by themselves.

Fifth, they were trained by a professional seaman with over 30 years experience at the time.

Sixth, towards the end of their training, we did delivery trips where we took two boats in tandem, where they ran one of the boats. We had quite a system of equipment, charts, radios which we used for such trips. This means they were making North Pacific bar crossings where they were running the boat without an adult aboard.

Seven, before the two older ones were 16 they both soloed in light aircraft.

Eight, these were not day trips but encompassed steady steaming for up to 3 weeks continuous.

To put it bluntly, they have more experience than most adults with 100 ton licenses.

Will the CG swallow this without an argument? Don't know, but some day, they are going to find out.

And here is the point, if you have serious experience that you can document, clearly and in detail but it does not fit the precise definitions that is commonly understood to be the requirements, then go for it. Especially if your experience includes storms, bar crossings, ocean passages and you can demonstrate that you know how to ride the "bicycle" without training wheels. The worst that will happen is you will get turned down. There are plenty of people in the CG who understand what real experience looks like, just don't try bluffing.

I got a lot of my experience for my first license before I was 16. And it was on the Columbia River Bar. The trick isn't getting the license, the trick is knowing what you are doing.
Capt. Mike Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast