Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2018, 14:42   #46
Marine Service Provider

Re: USCG master - worth having? benefits?

The old USCG issued certificates said, "License" and "US Merchant Marine Officer." Lower in the text it list the holders qualifications like "Master 100 tons Near Costal" etc. Other qualifications like Towing, etc. may continue on the reverse side.

You're right the term "Captain" does not appear on that document or the new document MMC which (resembles a Red Chinese passport) nor does the term appear on the documents issued by the RYA, ASA or any similar organization.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 14:52   #47
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Having a 200 ton Masters/500 ton mates tickets helped when doing deliveries. It gave the owners and insurance company some credibility. The difference between a 6 Pack and a limited Masters is more than just one more test. It requires twice the documented sea time. I have forgotten the tonnage that required the firefighting course. It was several days and pricy. Give one of the big schools a call and ask what classes and costs to get a Limited Masters. I think you will be surprised. I let mine lapse when raising a family and when I checked into renewing I think the course was about $900 and that didnt include the medical/firefighting class and some other expense. It can get costly, so if you are not going to use it for income it probably isnt worth it. Just my thoughts. ____Grant.
There is no such thing as a 6 pack license. However, there is such a thing as a 6 pack boat. A non-inspected U.S.C.G boat (OUPV) can only carry 6 passengers for hire. Most charter boats are non-inspected. That is where the "6 pack" term comes from. Carrying passengers on a OUPV vessel requires a 100 ton Master's License. Inspected vessels can carry as many passengers as the Coast Guard rating permits and, under certain circumstances, may be operated with a 100 ton license. For example, the Seldovia Ferry in Alaska (85 Passengers) is normally operated by a 100 ton master.
Old 03-09-2018, 15:12   #48

Send a message via Skype™ to Capt. Mike Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie J. View Post
There is no such thing as a 6 pack license. However, there is such a thing as a 6 pack boat. A non-inspected U.S.C.G boat (OUPV) can only carry 6 passengers for hire. Most charter boats are non-inspected. That is where the "6 pack" term comes from. Carrying passengers on a OUPV vessel requires a 100 ton Master's License. Inspected vessels can carry as many passengers as the Coast Guard rating permits and, under certain circumstances, may be operated with a 100 ton license. For example, the Seldovia Ferry in Alaska (85 Passengers) is normally operated by a 100 ton master.
An uninspected vessel of 100 gross or over can carry up to 12 paying passengers. Such a boat would require a licensed operator with a license for such tonnage. Technically if the boat was 101 tons then a Masters License would have to be at least 101 tons, in practice probably 200 tons. An uninspected vessel of less than 100 tons can carry up to 6 paying passengers. The operator having to have an appropriate license and tonnage, which could be an OUVP. I am not aware of OUVPs being issued for over 50 tons, this may be incorrect.
A vessel less than 100 tons carrying more than 6 paying passengers has to be inspected and the operator has to have a Master License of the appropriate tonnage.
Capt. Mike Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 16:06   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
The old USCG issued certificates said, "License" and "US Merchant Marine Officer." Lower in the text it list the holders qualifications like "Master 100 tons Near Costal" etc. Other qualifications like Towing, etc. may continue on the reverse side.

You're right the term "Captain" does not appear on that document or the new document MMC which (resembles a Red Chinese passport) nor does the term appear on the documents issued by the RYA, ASA or any similar organization.

None of the holders of those other qualifications seem to need the self-aggrandisement of falsely calling themselves Capt XXXX. It always seems to be the USCG licence holders that indulge in that pretentiousness.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 17:52   #50
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
None of the holders of those other qualifications seem to need the self-aggrandisement of falsely calling themselves Capt XXXX. It always seems to be the USCG licence holders that indulge in that pretentiousness.
Not always, quite a few of us USCG License holders have never bothered to call ourselves Captain or Master or dress up with stripes unless the boss required it.
I am with the previous poster: Getting the ticket is the easy part, keeping it and staying out of trouble is the hard part.
Old 03-09-2018, 19:26   #51
Marine Service Provider

I think Davie J is confused. He states that "Carrying passengers on a OUPV vessel requires a 100 ton Master's License." OUPV stands for Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels, the operative word being "Operator" One can obtain an OUPV designation with 320 days documented sea time which allows the what? "operator" to do what? "operate' an uninspected passenger vessel, meaning one limited to up to six paying what? "passengers" but no carriage of cargo or foreign voyages. The holder of an MMC with a capacity designation of "Master" of any designated tonnage (25GRT or 50grt) may operate an uninspected passenger (Six-Pack) vessel up 100GRT. For inspected vessels the Gross Registered Tonnage of the vessel being operated must be commensurate with MMC holder's "Master" tonnage designation.

In other words anyone with any MMC master's ticket can operate an six-pack vessel up 100GRT under the same restrictions and conditions on the holder of an OUPV
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast