Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2018, 07:00   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: USCG Temporary Certificate Of Documentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound44 View Post
I’ve been back from Grenada last year and in the Caribbean islands, I was never asked to show my boat documents , only asked to fill their paperwork and, of course, pay the custom fees, the most important thing for them!
I find this extremely difficult to accept. We live aboard now for two years in the eastern Caribbean. There has not been a single time we were not asked to show our documents, even in the French islands. The former English and Dutch colonies are particularly officious in this regard. The BVI and Trinidad lead the pack with the most hoops to jump through.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:46   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46'

I just heard back from the USCG NVDC. They provided me a form for a Priority Request. I will send this in today and see if I can get approved and processed in time. Thanks for all the lively comments. I hope this thread helps someone in the future.
Blackacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 16:05   #18

Boat: Hylas 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I find this extremely difficult to accept. We live aboard now for two years in the eastern Caribbean. There has not been a single time we were not asked to show our documents, even in the French islands. The former English and Dutch colonies are particularly officious in this regard. The BVI and Trinidad lead the pack with the most hoops to jump through.

Were did you go in the French island?
There is no custom in the French island, only a computer usually located in tourist souvenirs store were you fill the form and print it for one euro. In the other islands, we were only asked to show our passports and fill the form.
The only reason I see is maybe because we are Canadian and we don’t carry firearms aboard.
Northbound44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 16:15   #19

Boat: Hylas 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound44 View Post
Were did you go in the French island?
There is no custom in the French island, only a computer usually located in tourist souvenirs store were you fill the form and print it for one euro. In the other islands, we were only asked to show our passports and fill the form.
The only reason I see is maybe because we are Canadian and we don’t carry firearms aboard.

Even worse, when I came back to the States,I called the custom to clear in, they didn’t want to see me even talk to me!
They responded: download the «*CBP ROAM*» apps and fill the form online. Or I am a really good guy, or there is something wrong with Nicolson58...
Northbound44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 15:50   #20

Still waiting if you can believe that. They had a follow up question which i answered but that added a delay of 3 months. I have left and reentered the US several times using my application and bill of sale. Hasn't been an issue yet. Just wanted to share this info incase someone else is wondering what to do when it takes months to document a vessel. It's worth noting that the staff have been pleasant to work with.
Old 14-01-2019, 16:33   #21

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackacre View Post
Still waiting if you can believe that. They had a follow up question which i answered but that added a delay of 3 months. I have left and reentered the US several times using my application and bill of sale. Hasn't been an issue yet. Just wanted to share this info incase someone else is wondering what to do when it takes months to document a vessel. It's worth noting that the staff have been pleasant to work with.
Did you at least get a documentation number for your vessel? I was told they issue those immediately, but registration and the certificate takes longer. Right now numbers are being issued but certificates for new numbers are on hold because that takes a mailed in builders certificate, and nothing mailed in is being scanned due to personnel shortfall. That is what my doc service is telling me.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 17:22   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackacre View Post
The entire active duty USCG are still working albeit without pay. Whereas many of the support personnel are considered non-essential and have been furloughed and are not working. It wouldn't surprise me if the personnel that handle the routine paperwork for things like documenting vessels were considered non-essential and are not working and their paperwork will pile up until they return after the partial shutdown and can process through the backlog. You may delayed longer than you desire.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 18:32   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Did you at least get a documentation number for your vessel? I was told they issue those immediately, but registration and the certificate takes longer. Right now numbers are being issued but certificates for new numbers are on hold because that takes a mailed in builders certificate, and nothing mailed in is being scanned due to personnel shortfall. That is what my doc service is telling me.
My vessel was previously documented so the application was to restore. The number stayed the same.

Tags
documentation, men