Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2012, 14:27   #16

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970
Re: USCG VSC inspection any tips or ideas?

He passed the boat and I got my safety inspection sticker.

I have the boat docked right next to LAFB in the lower Chesapeake Bay, Virginia. It is on Harris Creek tributary of the Back river.

He pretty much liked everything including the LectraSan which he must have researched after I told him I had one. All I did on that was show him how it worked and he hardly gave it any notice, it was the last thing we looked at.
I agree anyone like this should be well familiar with all the types of MSD and how they work.

One thing he mentioned was battery terminal covers. I have the red covers on the positive posts only, he said I should cover both positive and negative posts?

Also mentioned Virginia by 2016 I have to complete a boating course and get some kind of operator card. He seemed to imply anyone operating the boat would need to take the course even If I was present?
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 14:46   #17

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
He passed the boat and I got my safety inspection sticker.

I have the boat docked right next to LAFB in the lower Chesapeake Bay, Virginia. It is on Harris Creek tributary of the Back river.

He pretty much liked everything including the LectraSan which he must have researched after I told him I had one. All I did on that was show him how it worked and he hardly gave it any notice, it was the last thing we looked at.
I agree anyone like this should be well familiar with all the types of MSD and how they work.

One thing he mentioned was battery terminal covers. I have the red covers on the positive posts only, he said I should cover both positive and negative posts?

Also mentioned Virginia by 2016 I have to complete a boating course and get some kind of operator card. He seemed to imply anyone operating the boat would need to take the course even If I was present?
From: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ical-1471.html posted by Gord

E-9.5.7.5 Continuously energized parts, such as positive battery terminals and both ends of all wire connected thereto, shall be physically protected with boots, or other form of protection, that cover all energized surfaces to prevent accidental short circuits.
EXCEPTION: Circuits that have overcurrent protection at the source of power in accordance with E-9.12.

Don't see anything about the negative post.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 20:22   #18

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Boating education requirements are being phased into almost all the US states. Often they are based on a "born after" date or age, so they especially apply to young adults and teens, but will include more people as time goes on; Virginia will catch almost everyone in its requirements in a few years. The requirements are pretty basic and can often be done as a free classroom course (1 day) or as a not-very-expensive on-line class.

Generally, a person who is old enough to be exempt from the class is allowed to directly supervise operation of a boat by someone who would otherwise be required to take the class. And again generally, people who are young enough to be in the group that need the class must have passed the class and have their course card in order to operate a boat (powerboat or sailboat) without direct supervision. States will honor each other's course cards, so you only need to pass a class once in one state and will be good in other states.

In Virginia, the Dept. of Game and Fish administers the requirements. VA has a fairly aggressive phase-in schedule that will require anyone to meet the requirement within a few years. Note that sailboats are generally considered to be "motorboats" for the purposes of this and similar laws.

From Virginia's DG&F site:
(Boating Safety and Education - Frequently Asked Questions)

<<
Answer
It means that the requirement is phased-in according to age category and it also means that the requirement is phased-in according to whether the type of boat being operated is a motorboat or a personal watercraft (PWC). For example, the first phase-in is for PWC operators 20 years of age and younger and they will have to meet the requirement by July 1, 2009. Next is PWC operators 35 years of age or younger by July 1, 2010.

The remainder of the implementation schedule is:

PWC operators 50 years of age or younger and motorboat operators 20 years of age or younger by July 1, 2011
All personal watercraft operators, regardless of age, and motorboat operators 30 years of age or younger by July 1, 2012
Motorboat operators 40 years of age or younger by July 1, 2013
Motorboat operators 45 years of age or younger by July 1, 2014
Motorboat operators 50 years of age or younger by July 1, 2015
All motorboat operators, regardless of age, by July 1, 2016>>

The classes represent a basic minimum knowledge of safety, safety operation, equipment requirements, operation requirements, and a bit of navigation info and emergency response. The content tends to be focused by weight of accident statistics, so there's much more material about jet skis and small powerboats than about sailboats, especially bigger boats.
Old 30-06-2012, 20:42   #19

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
I've seen them board every powerboat in the area and didn't stop a single sailboat. Someone here also reported this kind of behavior in another area and asked a friend in the CG about, they said the sailboaters tend to know the rules and have their equipment.
Showing a Lifesling might help avoid an inspection.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 20:42   #20

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Here is a suggestion that can make it easier to pass the locked valve for a macerator's discharge. It would be a serious pain to crawl into my bilge to either lock or unlock the valve my macerator discharges through. To avoid that, I use a simple key lock near the load center used to break the power going to the macerator is adequate and approved. But the key cannot be left in the switch of course.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 18:09   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
My inspector has never heard of a "LectraSan" MDS type 1 device.
On the phone, he did say he would see if it was legal in the lower Chesapeake bay. Anyone ever heard of a LectraSan being an illegal device here?
He said I have to go offshore 3 miles to dump or lock seacock closed.
So I printed out some info from Raritan on the device. Is there an appeal process if he refuses to give me a sticker cause I use a LectraSan?

Anyway he is coming today to look at the boat so will see what happens.

Since he is unfamiliar with it, what If some police stop me and want to fine me cause they never heard of it either. This is one of the reasons I want to get a USCG window sticker.
There are several NO DISCHARGE ZONES noted on the C-Bay charts. In the Great Lakes where we are, that means ZERO. No discharge at all. You will have to have your Y-Valve locked out. We installed a head tank on one system and an AIR HEAD in another. They don't care about the Raritan or Lectrasan treatment systems.

You will need current flairs, life jackets (list by type & size and post near the storage spot), reasonabley well kept log book, fog and other signaling devices, Rule Book One (nav rules), Notice to Mariners for your area, local paper chart, nav lights, distress flag, "no oil or plastic etc discharge" stickers (free at West Marine), ground tackle. There is a list you can get on line ahead and make sure you are in order. Don't be supprised if the guy is 96 years old and you need to help him onto your vessel. Most don't know sailboats, all are volunteers. If you can walk & chew gum you can pass.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 21:08   #22

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
You will need current flairs, ...

Goodness gracious, do I have to wear _this_ year's style of bell bottoms?
At least that means no one will be wearing their old disco-era trousers on board; that's a huge relief.

Sorry -- married to an English teacher.

Yes, day and night signals are required on Federal waters (ocean/coastal, Great Lakes, larger connecting bodies); some small craft can get by with day signals if they only operate by day.
Old 03-09-2012, 22:09   #23

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: USCG VSC Inspection - Any Tips or Ideas ?

As an FYI, here is a copy of the VSC form.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VSCform.pdf (126.5 KB, 61 views)

Tags
inspection