Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2023, 05:03   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
VISA-FREE TRAVEL

The Henley Passport Index is the authoritative ranking, of all the world’s passports, according to the number of destinations, their holders can access, without a prior visa
The ranking examined a total of 199 passports, and 227 possible travel destinations. The ranking then identifies the number of countries, that each passport can access, visa-free.
Singapore, which took the top spot, enables visa-free access to 192 countries; while Afghanistan, which fell last on the ranking, grants access to only 27.
A total of 34 countries landed in the top 10*.

More About ➥ https://www.henleyglobal.com/passport-index/ranking

Global Passport Ranking ➥ https://cdn.henleyglobal.com/storage...G_230720_1.pdf

The Henley Visa-Free Travel and Openness Index explores the relationship between a country’s openness to foreigners — how many nations it allows to cross its borders visa-free — and its own citizens’ travel freedom, gauged using the Henley Passport Index.
The Henley Openness Index ranks all 199 countries and territories, worldwide, according to the number of nationalities they permit entry to, without a prior visa.
Visa-Free Travel and Openness ➥ https://www.henleyglobal.com/passport-index/ranking

* Here's the complete top 10, of the best passports in 2023:
Singapore (1)
Germany (2)
Italu (2)
Spain (2)
Austria (3)
Finland (3)
France (3)
Japan (3)
Luxembourg (3)
South Korea (3)
Sweden (3)
Denmark (3)
Ireland (4)
Netherlands (4)
United Kingdom (4)
Belgium (5)
Czech Republic (5)
Malta (5)
New Zealand (5)
Norway (5)
Portugal (5)
Switzerland (5)
Australia (6)
Hungary (6)
Poland (6)
Canada (7)
Greece (7)
Lithuania (8)
United States (8)
Latvia (9)
Slovakia (9)
Slovenia (9)
Estonia (10)
Iceland (10)

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 17:09   #2

Re: VISA-FREE TRAVEL

Since this is primarily a boating and cruising forum I’d be interested to know how these visa permissions apply to cruising yachtsmen. I just got a Singapore 90 day visa on arrival as a fly in but how about arrivals by sea (or road), joining a vessel I only got a week. An IATA based index is of little use to us here as cruisers and entering Thailand by road I get 14 days (now reported to be allowed only twice per year), but by sea 30 days and by air 30 days. Neither does Henley address the variations introduced when arriving by air/departing by sea and vice-versa.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2023, 03:23   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Since this is primarily a boating and cruising forum I’d be interested to know how these visa permissions apply to cruising yachtsmen...
As many previous threads would suggest, Cruisers often have to fly into [& out of] various countries, for various reasons. The formalities of doing so, have often been discussed, on CF.

Old 22-07-2023, 03:27   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Any foreigner wanting to sail into the USA (unless a green-card holder or Canadian) needs a real visa. Visa-free or ESTA is not possible, meaning this list doesn't apply for USA.
Old 22-07-2023, 06:49   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Any foreigner wanting to sail into the USA (unless a green-card holder or Canadian) needs a real visa. Visa-free or ESTA is not possible, meaning this list doesn't apply for USA.
Being Canadian is of no help entering the US by boat, we still have to deal with that ridiculous Cruising License and Permission To Proceed BS.
Old 22-07-2023, 07:46   #6

@boatpoker - true about the cruising license, but you don't need to get a Visa.

Getting a U.S. tourist visa is a big hassle, even for citizens in the Nr. 2 ranked country according to the above list. Generally, you can only do it in the country your are resident in. Then you apply for an interview date, having prepaid a significant sum. That interview is usually within 3 months. It has to be done at an embassy, which usually entails travelling to the capital city. The interview can be quite nerve-wracking as well. The main thing they want is evidence indicating that the visitor intends to leave the USA; things like home ownership, jobs, etc.
My interviews for work permits and tourist visas were easy, the last two took mere seconds. One was with a consular official who'd lived in the same village where I'd work and we had common acquaintances. The other was with a harried official who just asked why I wanted a tourist visa, and I stated I have a boat in the BVI, and then he waved me on and said my passport would be FedExed back the next day with the visa.
Old 22-07-2023, 10:20   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
@boatpoker - true about the cruising license, but you don't need to get a Visa.

Getting a U.S. tourist visa is a big hassle, even for citizens in the Nr. 2 ranked country according to the above list. Generally, you can only do it in the country your are resident in. Then you apply for an interview date, having prepaid a significant sum. That interview is usually within 3 months. It has to be done at an embassy, which usually entails travelling to the capital city. The interview can be quite nerve-wracking as well. The main thing they want is evidence indicating that the visitor intends to leave the USA; things like home ownership, jobs, etc.
My interviews for work permits and tourist visas were easy, the last two took mere seconds. One was with a consular official who'd lived in the same village where I'd work and we had common acquaintances. The other was with a harried official who just asked why I wanted a tourist visa, and I stated I have a boat in the BVI, and then he waved me on and said my passport would be FedExed back the next day with the visa.
I've crossed (driving) from Canada with a German crew. It took 15 minutes at the border for them to get a visa. I suspect there are other nationalities that have to jump through more hoops.

PS. Canadians do have to have a B2 visa but this is assigned automatically when we cross the border. This is why I stopped travelling on my UK passport ... too much hassle.
Old 22-07-2023, 10:37   #8

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I've crossed (driving) from Canada with a German crew. It took 15 minutes at the border for them to get a visa. I suspect there are other nationalities that have to jump through more hoops.

PS. Canadians do have to have a B2 visa but this is assigned automatically when we cross the border. This is why I stopped travelling on my UK passport ... too much hassle.
Funny, I usually do travel on my UK passport except entering the US when I use my US passport. Was especially good before brexit

Unfortunately my wife has a taiwanese passport and not too many countries (including the US) have the stones to recognize the independent sovereign nation.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2023, 11:00   #9

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Gord - your posts are always interesting and well researched - thank you!
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2023, 11:06   #10

Quote:
I've crossed (driving) from Canada with a German crew. It took 15 minutes at the border for them to get a visa...
They most certainly did not get a visa at the border; what they got at the border was an ESTA (a travel authorization); those are very, very different things.

And when entering via a non-commercial boat, you can't get/use an ESTA; you need a real visa. The American B1 visa takes a whole page in the passport and is an actual document, with picture.
Old 22-07-2023, 11:20   #11

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
PS. Canadians do have to have a B2 visa but this is assigned automatically when we cross the border.
This is incorrect ... Canadians are given a B1 or B2 immigration status when crossing into the USA, the same as those with B1/B2 visas ... but we do not need a visa. The visa is another piece of paper entirely, which Canadians do not need for B1/B2 visits.

There is a subtle difference between the visa not being required (Canadians) and the visa requirement being waived (EU etc), which becomes particularly important when they choose not to waive the visa requirement such as when arriving by private boat.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2023, 11:54   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
They most certainly did not get a visa at the border; what they got at the border was an ESTA (a travel authorization); those are very, very different things.

And when entering via a non-commercial boat, you can't get/use an ESTA; you need a real visa. The American B1 visa takes a whole page in the passport and is an actual document, with picture.
I was there and know the difference.
Old 22-07-2023, 12:05   #13

@boatpoker - I'm sorry, but a U.S. visa is not issued on-the-spot. A travel permit is. This is what a U.S. visa looks like:

Did they get a photo taken, electronically transferred, vetted, printed and put into the passport on the spot at the Canadian border? If not, they got a travel permit, not a visa valid for multiple-re-entry for 10 years.

Back in the day I used to get an I-90 when entering the USA. Perhaps this is what you recall? What year do recall having seen this happen?
Old 22-07-2023, 12:34   #14

Boat: Between boats at the moment aka Fender

Quote:
@boatpoker - I'm sorry, but a U.S. visa is not issued on-the-spot. A travel permit is. This is what a U.S. visa looks like:

Did they get a photo taken, electronically transferred, vetted, printed and put into the passport on the spot at the Canadian border? If not, they got a travel permit, not a visa valid for multiple-re-entry for 10 years.

Back in the day I used to get an I-90 when entering the USA. Perhaps this is what you recall? What year do recall having seen this happen?
Exactly, and this B1B2 visa costs several hundred dollars! So much for being the land of the free. I will never set foot in the place again because there are so many more welcoming countries that make you feel welcome.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2023, 02:15   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Citizens from the US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, Will Need a ‘Visa’ to Visit Europe in 2024
The new European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS) requires an online application*, and a minor fee [€7, or ± $8USD], and is required for all travelers, regardless of their age.
* Most applicants will be granted travel authorization within an hour, but if further checks are required, the process could take up to 96 hours.
More about ➥ https://www.cntraveler.com/story/ame...=pocket-newtab