Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2008, 14:20   #1

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Warning to SC Boaters

The tax man cometh. Local law enforcement is out in force and visiting all marinas in South Carolina. They are collecting dockage information from the marinas then coming back at a preset time to see if the boats are still there. 90 days for most and 180 days in some counties. If you are still there you are going to get a tax bill and expected to register your boat in SC. Just a fair warning.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 14:35   #2

Chuck, you bust on Florida so much, but it seems your home state of SC has one-upped the state you dislike so much...

Are you going to move or pay it?
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 14:35   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
If you are still there you are going (be) expected to register your boat in SC.
Is that legal?

I've always wondered about that, because if you time your travels wrong you could have a US documented vessel and have 4 different states expect you to register it in their state, all in one year.
Old 22-12-2008, 14:45   #4

Boat: PETERSON 44
not so unusual

Here is maryland's description.If your vessel is duly registered in another jurisdiction but remains in Maryland waters more than 90 days in a calendar year, you may be liable for vessel excise tax unless you can prove principal use in another jurisdiction.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 15:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesee View Post
Chuck, you bust on Florida so much, but it seems your home state of SC has one-upped the state you dislike so much...

Are you going to move or pay it?
First SC is not our home state. We bought the boat here and are doing some outfitting. You can bet Floriduh and every other state is going to pull out all of the stops to collect every dime they can lay there hands on in these tough times. This is not unusual, it is done all of the time in Maryland, Virginia and I am sure other states. In California they take aerial photos and then come back and check the slips. The legality question is a good one and is being discussed by the marinas. Are they required to turn over private information without the consent of the slipholders? I suppose time will tell. Will we pay the taxes, maybe. If there is a loophole or an alternative short of packing up and leaving the state we will most certainly utilize that. If it comes right down to paying for this year and that turns out to be the simplest route that is what we will do. The purpose of the post was to let folks in South Carolina know what is going on and not argue tha point of what we think of Floriduh or South Carolina or any other state.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 22-12-2008, 15:16   #6

I understand what you are saying but:

According to the SC taxing authority, they just made SC your home state whether you like it or not.

Welcome Home to South Carolina, The Palmetto State.
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 16:08   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Thumbs down Clarification

In the Peoples Republik of O'Malleyland it is 90 day total not 90 days in a row. And they do check up here....don't you hate digital cameras with the time stamps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Here is maryland's description.If your vessel is duly registered in another jurisdiction but remains in Maryland waters more than 90 days in a calendar year, you may be liable for vessel excise tax unless you can prove principal use in another jurisdiction.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 16:38   #8
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
I am glad I am in Cartagena with my UK registered boat...Walmart's (USA) policies regarding recreational boating is just as crazy as Wall Street.

Just leave Walmart

JC
Old 22-12-2008, 17:00   #9

Boat: Beneteau 321 Andrea Lynn
The states need the money! You have money! You and I and all boaters are the latest on the radar. Remember the western movies? All the Indians riding around the circled wagons! Today there is no Calvary to come to your rescue. Get out the wampum dude. Tag! Your it. lol We are so screwed.
Old 22-12-2008, 17:30   #10

Boat: Westsail 32
Taxed for Nothing in Return?

"Taxation Without Representation is Tyranny" I often wonder how much more the good citizens of the USA are going to stand. Just as long as I have some food and a place to sleep I'll continue to bury my head in the sand. Boy have we become a bunch of sheep.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 17:47   #11

Boat: Beneteau 321 Andrea Lynn
That is the best part! It's not a tax------- it's a fee, just a wonderful fee. A fee to hunt, a fee to use the park, a fee to use the public lake, a fee to park down town.
If you have money------- give it to them. They know how to better spend it.
Old 22-12-2008, 17:52   #12

Boat: Columbia 8.7 As You Wish III
This could go down hill real fast. However we are taxed by representives, who lie to get to our money then when the truth hits we re-elect them.

Just be thankful you do not receive all the government you pay for. And thats from about 75 years ago.

Thanks for the info Chuck. I'll stay in Florida
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 18:21   #13

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
Since this is "cruisersforum" and not "liveaboardforum" I would assume that most would be on the move on a regular basis, not spending more than 90 days in any jurisdiction. I further believe that the tax guy from one county doesn't work too closely with the tax guy from another county (as far as visual ID on a vessel goes), so that the "90 days in total in any state" would be hard to string together between several tax guys working different jurisdiction.
On another note, I don't see anything wrong with a cruising boat not paying taxes in any state that he/she does not live in full time, and does not use the services of that state to any great extent.
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 18:21   #14

we generally get the government we deserve.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 22-12-2008, 18:25   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterworldly View Post
Since this is "cruisersforum" and not "liveaboardforum" I would assume that most would be on the move on a regular basis, not spending more than 90 days in any jurisdiction. I further believe that the tax guy from one county doesn't work too closely with the tax guy from another county (as far as visual ID on a vessel goes), so that the "90 days in total in any state" would be hard to string together between several tax guys working different jurisdiction.
On another note, I don't see anything wrong with a cruising boat not paying taxes in any state that he/she does not live in full time, and does not use the services of that state to any great extent.
Not sure how much time you spend actually cruising but most of us don't just rush from one place to another. We rather like to dally along the way. We can easily spend 90 days in many states, consider Floriduh for the shear size and 90 days on the Chesapeake is no where near enough time just to name a couple.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek