Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 22:43   #1

Waste Oil and Other Toxics

We all know how its done in the US but what about the Mediterannean or Mexico or the South Seas. How easy is it to get rid of the oil, filters, bilge diapers solvents and other toxic junk we generate doing appropriate maintainence on our boats. Tips and Tricks appreciated.
AlamedaEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:43   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Waste Oil and other Toxics

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, AlamedaEyes.

Great question!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:36   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

It is not easy disposing of these in many places around the world. Most people simply store used oil and filters, etc on their boats until they get to a place where it can be disposed of properly.

Alternately, the oil and absorbent pads can be burned by setting a hot fire and slowly adding the oil to it. Most solvents are no problem because they either evaporate or burn well - I put used solvents in an open container in the sun to evaporate all that will.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:01   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the usa is not the only bastion of recycling.

boatyards in mexico receive oil and oil products. do not mix diesel with the oil.
place filters and extraneous parts into a separate container and place,wrapped nicely in a bag, next to the garbage pails in the marina at which you land your dinghy , or in which your boat lies. take the closed container of oil to the boatyard. the one in la cruz wants a few pesos for the honor of reuse of your oil-many times is mixed into diesel fuel for fishermen. works just fine.

welcome to cf.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:26   #5
cruiser

burning of toxics is not a great way to dispose of products...

recycling, not just in facilities but onboard is a good thing.. .if you have oil absorbant rags, use them and let them dry out, then use the oil remnant, to lubricate moving parts, wipe down exposed metals to prevent rust, etc.... (be wary of grip and slip issues)... wiping down motors to prevent surface rust ... laying the rag on top of the tool bucket or parts buckets... lubricating the crescent wrench, or hammer... etc...

wiping hose clamps....

if and when you can find a true recycling center, then empty the boat of all tbhe used rags and start over...
sailinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:56   #6

burning of toxics is not approved of in any country--even mexico-- go figger--there ARE RECYCLE PLACES--and they are not hard to find.
i wash used rags by bucket and plunger method--works great , as no one discards anything here until is badly gone--no more material left as far as old clothing goes.

sailinman--what is your next adventure, since you are selling your boat?
Old 10-07-2012, 08:06   #7
cruiser

washing of oily rags only disperses the oil and toxics and in washing machines puts the toxics down the drain...

Im thinking of selling due to health issues... I am needing surgery which will put me in hiatus.. if I cant sell the boat for what it is worth, then I will hold on to her until I recover...
Old 10-07-2012, 08:18   #8

who uses washing machines--have you cruised anywhere????

magic boats re only magic if your life is magic. health issues are relative. good luck with selling.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:32   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

sailinman-
"if I cant sell the boat for what it is worth, "
You might want to rethink that. Whatever you sell the boat for, IS what it is worth. If you make a good job of advertising or marketing it, it will be gone in 90 days or less, and the money you get WILL be roughly what it would cost to replace it a few months later. Beyond that...markets change over time. But of course, you won't be spending upkeep or storage money over time if you sell the boat, too. Now, i freplacing it means wasting a big chunk of sales tax 'again', and more repairs to upgrade things, that's something to consider too.

Some things are unique, or hard to replace or match. But unless there's something really special, getting what it is worth is simply a matter of figuring out how to advertise these days.

Good luck with the health issues.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:40   #10
cruiser

i understand economics, and all that... semantics aside, my statement stands..thanks

as for 'washing machines onboard'.. again, semantics... if you wash the oily/toxic rags and dispose of the contaminated water in anything other then approved collection facility, the contaminants end up in the oceans, untreated...

I really hate semantics... stop it already will ya'...

Tags
oil