Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 15:50   #1

Waterfront Doctor / San Diego

Just wondering if anyone had a good recommendation. Someone who can fill out the forms correctly, has the hearing test, etc. I'd go up to LA if I had to but hoping for San Diego.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 16:59   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Rebel Heart there is a nurse practioner at Rite Aid off of Rosecrantz over near Jamba Juice. It may be a different chain store but it is on the South side of the street. They give physicals if that is what you are looking for.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 19:19   #3

Awesome!
Old 02-09-2010, 19:56   #4

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
There is a health clinic at 11th Ave and Broadway a couple of blocks due east of the USS Midway Museum (Downtown family Health center)

What sort of problem are you having?
Old 03-09-2010, 02:45   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
There is a health clinic at 11th Ave and Broadway a couple of blocks due east of the USS Midway Museum (Downtown family Health center)

What sort of problem are you having?
I work over on 7th and B in downtown! I know right where that is. There are a few Coast Guard medical forms I need filled out (719K I think) and the recommendation I got from some salty dogs was to find a "ship's doctor" who knows how to fill them out properly.

I love my regular physician but one wrong checkbox and I'll be in medical limbo for eternity.

I thought you were up in some crazy far north area like svalbard or something?
Old 03-09-2010, 05:07   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
If there is a company which gives USCG license classes in the area, I would give them a call and see who they recommend.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:11   #7

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
hi rebel,

Lol I am up far north, but I was in San Diego last year on a trip from Vancouver to San Diego, and managed to mess my elbow up and needed five or six stitches, and that clinic was the closest. Now I am up near the Alaska border for hopefully (I think) quite a spell.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:21   #8

Quote:
hi rebel,

Lol I am up far north, but I was in San Diego last year on a trip from Vancouver to San Diego, and managed to mess my elbow up and needed five or six stitches, and that clinic was the closest. Now I am up near the Alaska border for hopefully (I think) quite a spell.
So since this thread has nothing to do with me and my coast guard physical any longer...

I referenced Svalbard because it was a central element of this fiction book I really enjoyed so I was stoked to learn that Svalbard is real, and then last night I did some googling around and learned that it has several anchorages.

The Ocean Cruising Club - Palm Trees to Polar Ice: 5000 Miles of Atlantic Islands

600 miles from the north pole! It would be quite the trudge to get up there but I would love to hit that up. I don't think I'd want to live in the far north (I enjoy the sun, not having depression, surfing, etc) but I could see myself having some fun up there in the summer.

You have to bring or rent a high powered hunting rifle with you.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:40   #9

Well living that far north has its ups and downs to be sure. I have scarcely seen the sun for more than a few minutes in three days, and yesterday we had 76mm of rain and wind gusts up to 30kts at times. Oh well. life on the frontier as it were. Not sure what winter is going to bring, but I am sure I will find out soon enough. Oh it is a good idea to have a good rifle up here too.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:45   #10

Quote:
Well living that far north has its ups and downs to be sure. I have scarcely seen the sun for more than a few minutes in three days, and yesterday we had 76mm of rain and wind gusts up to 30kts at times. Oh well. life on the frontier as it were. Not sure what winter is going to bring, but I am sure I will find out soon enough. Oh it is a good idea to have a good rifle up here too.
Don't you miss laying out on a beach, feeling the life giving sun pump rays of energy into you, while sipping on a cool beverage? Watching plants grow, children play, etc. You know: the things that happen in the non barren tundras.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:03   #11

I am sure to miss laying out in the sun--rumour has it the sun does shine up here in the summer, but this is also one of the wettest places I can think of. Well I am sure it will test my adaptability.

Tags
san diego