Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2012, 11:13   #61

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Re: We are being terrorized

In addition to the suggestions given already, why not go to the next person up in the chain of command. Everyone has a boss. Depending on the structure of the town, next stop might be the chief of police then the mayor or city council..etc. Keep moving up until someone actually does something. Maybe you can get someone to realize that the tickets they might be able to write while on the water may very well pay for the person who is out writing them!

In addition to that, I think there could be means to potentially bring a lawsuit against the police or city IF you did suffer harm and the police continue to refuse to react. That may get additional attention as well.

First and foremost though, I think taping them and sending to the police, news and youtube would be what I'd start with.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 11:49   #62

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

Ya....Zee is right.....I sailed ClearLake for some time in the 1990s early 2000s...and loved it...Thankfully I was not on the lake when that horrendous accident happened...but I could have been...there was nothing lovelier than to drift along in the moonlight on the Lake on a summer evening.... however the reckless speed boaters and jet skiers there were always a problem, especially over summer holiday weekends....as regards the law enforcement .. they engaged in selective enforcement at best...in the accident where the woman was killed by the Deputy Sheriff's criminally negligent action, the local DA charged the poor sailor who happened to be sitting at the tiller ( the s/v was lit and simply slowly drifting) .. the deputy Cop who was going 50 mph+ at night with no lights, slamming into and up onto the little sail boat, killing a guest and seriously injuring others aboard the s/v ... he was never charged and...according to Lectronic Latitude (Latitude 38) was just awarded a position as a Lake County Fire Protection Board Chief altho he was never a fireman or had any experience in fire prevention.....his creds ? he was a "townie" whose Dad had been a fire chief...
Fortunately the hapless sailor was acquitted after an exhaustively expensive jury trial..... Lake County while lovely, and ClearLake, such fun to sail on..when the algae isn't in full bloom....has an ugly reputation...Seems "Gulfport" is now seriously competing with Lake County for "ugly" ...first with the saga of "Captn Jay" to this latest bit...that is a shame...sorry to rant...but I do hate and fail to find any humor in regard to bullies and reckless disregard for the safety and well being of others. The local News got involved when our own CFers "Knothead" and others brought it to the public's attention ....it may well be time for the same to happen with the water "bullies" of Gulfport before it becomes an article reporting death or severe injury to one of the liveaboard population residing there.
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 11:52   #63

Boat: TBD

Notify the city council members mentioned in the article below ....

LAYING OUT THE WELCOME MAT IN GULFPORT:

In Florida, BoatU.S. recognized the City of Gulfport on Boca Ciega Bay for its Municipal Mooring Field to serve transient as well as local boaters. With this project significant local opposition had to be overcome due to some deep-seated bias against boaters caused by several highly visible derelict vessels left after storms, as well as the actions of some irresponsible boat owners. City leaders hope the project will improve visitor spending at local merchants and reverse the town’s standing among some mariners as being unfriendly to boaters by offering local transportation and services. Today, transient boaters are welcomed to Gulfport with a packet of information to get the most out of their stay.

BoatUS Vice President of Government Affairs Margaret Podlich (2nd from right) recently traveled to Gulfport FL to honor the city for its efforts in creating a municipal mooring field. With her (left to right) are City Council Member Bob Worthington, a champion of the project; Vice Mayor Michele King, and Interim City Manager Jim O’Reilly.
cc6538454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 11:58   #64

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I would debate that. I think a cogent argument could be made, in court, that there is a substantial risk of great bodily harm in this situation. The wake thrown up by a powerboat at that close a range could easily cause someone to fall and hit their head, or go over the side. Personally I would respond with drastic measures, but I don't mind going to jail for that sort of thing. I see this as an attack and would respond in kind, after documenting the facts.

You might debate that but you would lose.
Old 31-07-2012, 12:00   #65

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6538454 View Post
Notify the city council members mentioned in the article below ....

LAYING OUT THE WELCOME MAT IN GULFPORT:

In Florida, BoatU.S. recognized the City of Gulfport on Boca Ciega Bay for its Municipal Mooring Field to serve transient as well as local boaters. With this project significant local opposition had to be overcome due to some deep-seated bias against boaters caused by several highly visible derelict vessels left after storms, as well as the actions of some irresponsible boat owners. City leaders hope the project will improve visitor spending at local merchants and reverse the town’s standing among some mariners as being unfriendly to boaters by offering local transportation and services. Today, transient boaters are welcomed to Gulfport with a packet of information to get the most out of their stay.

BoatUS Vice President of Government Affairs Margaret Podlich (2nd from right) recently traveled to Gulfport FL to honor the city for its efforts in creating a municipal mooring field. With her (left to right) are City Council Member Bob Worthington, a champion of the project; Vice Mayor Michele King, and Interim City Manager Jim O’Reilly.
All the more reason for the public media to get involved and motivate the water cops to diligently monitor and protect those folks using and enjoying the mooring field and beach facilities..nuff said
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 12:04   #66

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I can't understand the local USCG. not doing anything about wake damage!! if someone even your dog was injured, they should at least have taken a report, for legal reasons if nothing else !! We had a Tug boat with BIG engines go by us so close they put the bow of our 42 ft steel sail boat on the dock ! the wake thru our son out of his bunk to the floor, breaking his elbow ! The costies took our report and the report of witness's, and the tug company got right on our claim right after the tug Capt was given a citation for his mistake!! seems to me ya need to talk to the local news folks !! right now theres a bunch of things going on in Gulfport that are news ! I would think the news could use this info !! Mostly because theres no one in law inforcement even trying to help !! Just a thought and a Vidio would go a long ways to get this taken care of !!! If it was us we would Move, but we can ! and it sounds like ya can't !! Theres always someone who suggests useing violence! but theres got to be a better answer then that !! just our 2 cents !!
Old 31-07-2012, 12:21   #67

Boat: Heritage East 40

I guess we all could write and tell the Gulfport City Council and Chamber of Commerce, that we are not going to visit their moorage, docks or facilities unless they can get a handle on this problem... (hint)
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 12:45   #68

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
Also understand that these are just two situations that I have posted about.
These two are not the only ones that we have problems with - but these two are consistent.

Thanks,
Hatch
OUCH!

Seems there is a lot to this story.

Assuming here............

You are not afraid of speaking up so have called attention to yourself. It is really too bad to hear that. But it is not unusual for "thugs" to continue when they know they have no consequences.

I don't have any suggestions other than a better video camera. The part about "defending yourself" with weapons I am sure you know is ridiculous. (since you stated your background you know)

And that pontoon boat that cuts anchor lines...........that is really sad.

See you tomorrow at the boat salvage operation. If we get it out maybe the next time it breaks loose it will run over the jet boat or the loud fisherman.
Old 31-07-2012, 13:50   #69

Boat: Seaward 22

In these situations you can be in the right, but be prepared for reactions from those in the wrong. I've had some similar situations and usually let them pass with no reaction. Once down island I had a charter boat with a family anchor almost on top of me...a good dose of me naked, dancing to loud music solved that.

I would do nothing that could harm their boat (like floating poly line). Although it would work, you might come back one day to either a sunken boat or no boat. Are you ready for that?

A video sent to city council with a polite letter asking for law enforcement is a good idea. If you get no response send all of it to the local news stations.

Just be prepared that your actions can cause bigger negative reactions. Sometimes it's best just to defuse the incident. Instead of shining your light. Give him a hail with a sob story about your sick wife whose arthritis is acting up and your dog that just had surgery, and offer him a beer. Sometimes playing to sympathy works.

If you decide to go all John Wayne, just consider do you want 1/10th of where George Zimmerman is. Not worth it to be in the right all of the time.

My advice is worth what you paid for it......feel free to flame away, but it is reality.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 14:35   #70

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

Logs.
Old 31-07-2012, 14:39   #71
Lt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager
Logs.
What?
Lt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 14:53   #72
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
The deputy who's got a brand new job?

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude

yup..that murderer.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 15:01   #73
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
You might debate that but you would lose.

:being responsible for one's wake" has been proven in court in sd county a few times,a nd the victim of the wake damage--broken hip
beoken back, broken leg, ssome others--have been awarded monies and damages for the damages caused by motorboat wakes INCLUSIVE OF navy SEAL teams, uscg, and recreational boaters. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR WAKE.
you need to document this damage and the acts which bring/brought on the damage, and the vessel(s) causing same. is not difficult if you video and document and send to the places required. those places are posted inmy previous posts to this effect.

causing a wake large enough to cause these damages is reckless boating and endangerment. exceeding 5 kts speed limit in an anchorage and among anchored boats is also reckless boating and can be considered endangerment. document and go for it. these activities have been fought against and the victims did win.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 15:14   #74

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Last year we had an issue north of anclote with drunkenjet skiers racing around our boat at night with no lights. They were actually going between our boat and anchor chain where it met the water. We were yelling g warnings and shining a spot on the chain so they would avoid and then slammed into the side of our boat. Wanting to fight for shining a light in their eyes. The one "billybada$$ was so drunk he fell off his jet ski. We called. The Fwc, CG, and local police dept. We were pretty much told the same thing. Unless someone was dead or dying. There would be no intervention. When they we're asked how would it look if someone ended up dying or killing others after they were warned they said sorry hands are tied. Bottom line. It is almost unheard of that any type of law enforcement will go on the water after dark. I guess not enough bikinis and hot dogs. Now if it were a drug bust probably theyvl would be there. Your best bet ignore the jerks and they will go away.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 15:16   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
:being responsible for one's wake" has been proven in court in sd county a few times,a nd the victim of the wake damage--broken hip
beoken back, broken leg, ssome others--have been awarded monies and damages for the damages caused by motorboat wakes INCLUSIVE OF navy SEAL teams, uscg, and recreational boaters. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR WAKE.
you need to document this damage and the acts which bring/brought on the damage, and the vessel(s) causing same. is not difficult if you video and document and send to the places required. those places are posted inmy previous posts to this effect.

causing a wake large enough to cause these damages is reckless boating and endangerment. exceeding 5 kts speed limit in an anchorage and among anchored boats is also reckless boating and can be considered endangerment. document and go for it. these activities have been fought against and the victims did win.

Yea, I know, but you are out of context here.

I was responding to someone who was going to use a gun to "defend" themselves from a wake. Remember that post? Low 50s I think.

Really, a wake?

Officer: "You killed that guy because he waked you?"

Sailor: "Yep. Protecting myself from possible harm. It's my right."

Officer: "You are going to jail for manslaughter, maybe murder."

Sailor: "The wake thrown up by a powerboat at that close a range could easily cause someone to fall and hit their head, or go over the side. I responded with drastic measures, but I don't mind going to jail for that sort of thing. I saw this as an attack and responded in kind."

Officer: "Is OK. We have someone here with a white coat you can talk to."