Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2023, 12:43   #46

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Weed Smokers on Your Boat

I spent plenty of time with this girl in the past. Just not on my boat. In the woods. In the city. We get along great. As long as I ignore the weed aspects of things. I’m not terribly excited about people smoking weed continuously like that. But I do understand she needs it. It’s how she gets by. A lot of people need things to get by. From the coked up Wall Street worker, to the alcoholic sailor. As long as no one is hurting anyone else, I don’t care what they do.

Her mental health issues are more internal. Like inwardly focused. Not outward rage. She feels bad inside if they get out of control. So she’s fine. Good company. Not a mess. But possibly a mess of crying if no weed for a week.

What that particular substance does it kind of deadens the depression stuff. I know so many people that have used it for that same reason. I’m pretty familiar with how it works these days. It kind of shuts off the depression feelings and allows them to just bounce through the day like we do. They don’t really even get very high or anything. The drug is used up fixing the situation. Not unlike when you take antihistamines. Have you ever noticed if you are having a really bad allergic reaction, and you take Benadryl, you don’t feel drowsy? It’s all getting used up. But if you take a Benadryl with no allergic reaction you get pretty drowsy. I think it’s kind of the same thing for the weed. It makes them more like the rest of us.

I know I asked for all the opinions, but some of those ones about her being completely drugged out are kind of way out there. It’s only weed. It’s not drugs drugs. More tame than alcohol. Alcohol gets you more messed up. And we all know there are plenty of drunks on boats.

Alcohol lowers your inhibitions and makes it more like what a couple of you were saying where you can take advantage of someone. Luckily, I don’t smoke weed so when she takes advantage of me, I will be sober. It’s like every other time with her. Weed doesn’t do anything like what some are describing. I guess a lot of people don’t have any experience with it. That’s usually what the case is when people post incorrect stuff on this forum. No experience with the situation or boat or whatever product.

Someone asked about prescription meds. Yes. I would much prefer that she had those. As well as some counseling. She doesn’t have that right now. Those are preferable on the boat also because they are completely legal. There is no gray area.

So I think I might do it. But I’m going to have to lay down the law on where, how, etc. Strictly an outdoor thing.
Old 04-01-2023, 12:50   #47

Boat: Morgan 382

Legal issues aside.
I have had many friends, family, and roommates over 30 years (since high school) that smoke. I have tried to be non-judgmental, allowing it in my home, boat, or whatever. I myself, dislike the feeling, but far be it for me to stop someone that does.
After 30 years, I'm not sure I can be non-judgemental anymore. Part of that comes from friendships with those that have quit, as well as the difficulties being around someone that is high. Shoot me now if I ever allow a roommate to smoke again. Her smoking might hide an illness such that you can stand being around her for a little while, but it doesn't help her. Here is the problem I see. She stays a week. You both have a good time. Then she comes back in a few weeks. And pretty soon, you are spending more money helping her with her $h!t than you are spending on your boat. And until you either end the friendship (or relationship at this point) or she quits, you are going to be broke, frustrated, angry, and in need of mental care of your own.
As popular as it is, and as acceptable as it has become, weed is not harmless. It ruins lives. It is addictive. And the people around the smoker get hurt too.
Old 04-01-2023, 12:59   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Legal issues aside.
I have had many friends, family, and roommates over 30 years (since high school) that smoke. I have tried to be non-judgmental, allowing it in my home, boat, or whatever. I myself, dislike the feeling, but far be it for me to stop someone that does.
After 30 years, I'm not sure I can be non-judgemental anymore. Part of that comes from friendships with those that have quit, as well as the difficulties being around someone that is high. Shoot me now if I ever allow a roommate to smoke again. Her smoking might hide an illness such that you can stand being around her for a little while, but it doesn't help her. Here is the problem I see. She stays a week. You both have a good time. Then she comes back in a few weeks. And pretty soon, you are spending more money helping her with her $h!t than you are spending on your boat. And until you either end the friendship (or relationship at this point) or she quits, you are going to be broke, frustrated, angry, and in need of mental care of your own.
As popular as it is, and as acceptable as it has become, weed is not harmless. It ruins lives. It is addictive. And the people around the smoker get hurt too.

Excellent advice and I completely agree. I have had the same experiences you have with these types of situations. That’s why I know there is nothing here in the long run. I’m just not interested. I’ve already done this before. Too many times.

She’s living in a pretty remote area and wants to have a little getaway. We’re already friends. And whatever else. It’s very casual. So, why not?

However, it’s mostly about the legality stuff. That’s the only hesitation I’m having.

Certainly I’m not paying for her stuff. She can do that on her own. I have a little cash from selling a refrigerator recently. Maybe I can use that. . Ha ha ha.

No, but seriously. I won’t be paying for her stuff. She already does that herself. We are not together. We are not aiming at a relationship. It’s just fun.

And my post was mostly to see what people thought about bringing that stuff on a boat. But I think it’s always best to fill in the story. Otherwise, the details are left out and you receive less accurate advice in a thread.

But make no mistake. I feel exactly the same way you do. That’s why there is no future. I’m just not interested in one. As a matter fact I’m fairly interested in one with anyone right now.
Old 04-01-2023, 12:59   #49

LOL, it seems there's a few people here who got all their information about weed from the movie Reefer Madness.
Old 04-01-2023, 13:01   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPatrick View Post
LOL, it seems there's a few people here who got all their information about weed from the movie Reefer Madness.
DEFINITELY. Ha ha ha.

We do have some old timers. They probably got fed that propaganda when they were younger.

Here we go!!!

Wow this was funny. I guess I’m bill.

https://youtu.be/sbjHOBJzhb0

It looks like a harmless cigarette. Ha ha ha ha ha.
Old 04-01-2023, 13:21   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Chotu,

There is probably not a person on this forum that hasn't partaken in a toke or two at some period in their life, maybe even three of four tokes....even our country's past prez admitted to having smoked' dope....but ok, he gets a free pass seeing as he never " inhaled"..

If you wanna spend some time with this gal, move up to where she lives and go hang out for a week. This solves two problems at once....no drugs on your boat and some frolicking to boot, without you stepping over the line and endangering your boat, etc

I personally don't buy this "medical need" for dope, call it what it is...an addiction...no different than smoking cigarettes.

Keep us posted as to how this saga unfolds....there is a book here somewhere !!
Old 04-01-2023, 13:26   #52
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Another lightning rod of a topic. I don’t actually have an opinion on this other than maybe thinking they shouldn’t be on my boat.

Here’s the scene and the question.

I have a pretty good female friend that is really really attractive. She’s all excited to come down to hang out with me for a week on the boat. A little vacation.

But, she has all sorts of issues. Mental health issues. These don’t really come in to play with how we interact. They are kept under control by her smoking every day.

She’s one of those people that needs to smoke every day in order to function.

I don’t do any drugs. I don’t drink. I don’t smoke cigarettes. I don’t do anything. I don’t even take Advil. However, I do accept people for who they are and where they are and don’t really judge them based on what they need in their lives to get through the day.

The big question is, should I have this girl down to the boat for a week?

She’s extremely attractive. We get along fine. I’m not trying to get a girlfriend or marry this girl. Just trying to enjoy some time together.

What is the latest on weed and boats now?

It’s pretty much legal everywhere now. But there is still that odd federal gap.

Very confusing stuff. A lot of gray areas.

What do you guys think? Realistically?

She is really excited about coming. She’s daydreaming about it. She is really really looking forward to it. If I have her come without smoking her mental health issues will creep in and she will have a bad time and probably so will I.

If I tell her she can’t come because of the weed, it will crush her.

So I’m kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place here.
Risky dangerous injury -wise to have a stoned out person aboard. buckle up and tell her she can come only if non stoned -she needs to get off her jones weed dependency .
Old 04-01-2023, 13:29   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPatrick View Post
Yeah....na, actually get my opinion from experience, actually seeing stoners progress...or rather actually not progress over years and decades.

Seeing 60 years old stoners thinking like 16 year olds....when they turned into stoners....is just sad. First hand experience of seeing multiple stoners in the one area turn mean, something I had never seen before, when a new batch hit the area, turned me from pro grass to anti grass. What I find really sad is the can't do with out it folks.....they are as sad to see as drunks.

I think if you cant have an occasional smoke with out getting caught....you really do not have the brain cells to spare.

But just my opinion, i truly do not care what others think...they likely have had different experiences and therefore different opinions, which is fine.

What I find most amusing is the "fuglies need not apply". Iam not surprised that the OP cannot comprehend that when I asked if ethnicity did not matter to him....skin color is appearance is it not? what I was getting at.
So fine to treat one differently because of one aspect of appearance?
Thats some really messed up thinking. Actually...thats just plain pathetic.

But thats whats so wonderfully entertaining about this forum. So off you go...back to it...

Surprised some of the female members of this forum who are not "stunners" have not chimmed in....perhaps they understand what the OP is?
Old 04-01-2023, 13:37   #54

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Chotu, I read the first three pages.

Sometimes I think you over think things. I know I do and it took one to know one. You know what I mean..

If she is excited about being on your boat. Get her on it! And enjoy it all with her. Sounds like she doesn't have a full time job anyways.

About the smoking weed stuff. Does she have a medical card for it? And if she doesn't so what. It's not like she is bringing pounds of the stuff on board. And its not like she is a "seller" of it. She is a consumer of it. In small quantiles like under a ounce on her at all times.

I would absolutely let her smoke inside the cabin. I have a no smoking type of rule in my boat, but if its pot your more than welcome to blaze it up inside.

What a man will do for a piece of (insert what you want here) will continue to boggle me and continue to surprise me of what I'm capable of........

Good Luck Chotu! Tell her to come sooner and stay longer! Nothing is seriously wrong with pot. Unless you start to sell it or move pounds of it around you know
Old 04-01-2023, 13:37   #55

Allied: you are getting close, my friend. Keep it light. I’m not allowed to participate in arguments with people like yourself. I can only report you now. Keep it on the straight and narrow.

In any case, I am a human being. That’s what I am. Human beings are attracted to other attractive human beings. This is how it is. I love how you expect less attractive ladies on this for them to start giving me a hard time. Lol why would they do that? Jealousy? That’s ridiculous. Lol.

Send some cute guy over their way for a week, they will be over the moon about it.

If my lady friend and I find each other attractive, and we want to hang out for a week, there is no harm in that. I’m sorry you aren’t able to enjoy fun like that.
Old 04-01-2023, 13:38   #56

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

From clear across the ocean, I'm seeing this a little differently. I feel concerned that it is self destructive for Chotu to intentionally start up a sexual relationship with someone who is drug dependent. It is asking for trouble, because of the manipulative nature of such relationships. I feel amazed he is even willing to kid himself that his projected actions will not result in one huge energy suck. From over here, it looks like a very bad idea, in spite of the fact that he's feeling horny. For the time being, his focus should be to complete the boat, because that's where his ultimate freedom lies. A sexual side track now, is poorly timed.

Ann
Old 04-01-2023, 13:40   #57

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I have no better advice than what's already been offered, and won't share my opinions.

I just want to say, Chotu, that reading your threads is always entertaining. I try to tear myself away but then come back and read more. I guess that's worth something.
Old 04-01-2023, 13:40   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
From clear across the ocean, I'm seeing this a little differently. I feel concerned that it is self destructive for Chotu to intentionally start up a sexual relationship with someone who is drug dependent. It is asking for trouble, because of the manipulative nature of such relationships. I feel amazed he is even willing to kid himself that his projected actions will not result in one huge energy suck. From over here, it looks like a very bad idea, in spite of the fact that he's feeling horny. For the time being, his focus should be to complete the boat, because that's where his ultimate freedom lies. A sexual side track now, is poorly timed.

Ann
Ann, I love this post. This is really open and direct. I have already been seeing this girl for quite a while though. It’s nothing new. Once in a while we hang out.

So it’s been ongoing for a while.

I promise not to let it get in the way of finishing up the work.

And I do agree with you.
Old 04-01-2023, 13:44   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Woodbridge View Post
Chotu, I read the first three pages.

Sometimes I think you over think things. I know I do and it took one to know one. You know what I mean..

If she is excited about being on your boat. Get her on it! And enjoy it all with her. Sounds like she doesn't have a full time job anyways.

About the smoking weed stuff. Does she have a medical card for it? And if she doesn't so what. It's not like she is bringing pounds of the stuff on board. And its not like she is a "seller" of it. She is a consumer of it. In small quantiles like under a ounce on her at all times.

I would absolutely let her smoke inside the cabin. I have a no smoking type of rule in my boat, but if its pot your more than welcome to blaze it up inside.

What a man will do for a piece of (insert what you want here) will continue to boggle me and continue to surprise me of what I'm capable of........

Good Luck Chotu! Tell her to come sooner and stay longer! Nothing is seriously wrong with pot. Unless you start to sell it or move pounds of it around you know
Honestly, I’m really glad I posted this. This thread is absolutely fun!

I don’t think I’ve had a good laugh on the cruisers forum in a long time. And this thread is really really making me laugh sometimes. Thank you, everyone. This is great.

I’m sure I am overthinking things. I do that. I’m just worried about the authorities and my boat I guess. I don’t know.

And you are correct. She’s just going to bring a little bit for her personal consumption for a week. That’s correct. Just a small bit like you are describing.

She does have a job. But it’s remote. It’s not full-time either. So she can set her own schedule. Plus, she’s really looking forward to this.
Old 04-01-2023, 13:46   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I have no better advice than what's already been offered, and won't share my opinions.

I just want to say, Chotu, that reading your threads is always entertaining. I try to tear myself away but then come back and read more. I guess that's worth something.
Ha ha ha. Thank you Tom. This has been one of the most fun threads that I have had the privilege to participate in in a long time. It’s nice to be not talking about boat work for once.

And wait a minute! Where is my check? For the ad dollars? Ha ha
Closed Thread

Tags
boat