Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2023, 15:38   #76
cruiser

Re: Weed Smokers on Your Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPatrick View Post
LOL, it seems there's a few people here who got all their information about weed from the movie Reefer Madness.
Do you toke before you take your sunshots?
Old 04-01-2023, 15:42   #77

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I'm with Boatman on this one. Some drugs are significantly addictive and have corresponding withdrawal effects (caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, etc.). Others are generally not (including weed). I can't say it's impossible to end up addicted to it given enough use, but it's certainly not on the same level as many other common addictive substances.

That said, some people do have an addictive personality and can get addicted to practically anything that makes them feel good enough. Some people get addicted to running or working out, for example. And others have a strong enough constitution that they can play around with the most addictive of substances and just walk away whenever they want (provided they're not in deep enough to worry about serious withdrawal symptoms).

Like many things, it's about quantity. Being high all the time or adopting the lifestyle of a stoner is never going to go well. But in moderation, it's a whole different story. Plus, everyone's brain is wired differently. Much like how some people end up needing antidepressants to be functional, or how strong uppers like Adderall have a different effect on those with ADHD vs someone who doesn't.
Old 04-01-2023, 15:47   #78
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

In the 35 year or so of bopping around the oceans, I can't say I ever came across a stoner boat, or even met anyone smoking weed.
Seems like rum was the drug of choice for most sailors.
Old 04-01-2023, 15:51   #79

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
In the 35 year or so of bopping around the oceans, I can't say I ever came across a stoner boat, or even met anyone smoking weed.

Not surprising. Alcohol is legal in far more places, and in many is also easier to get. Plus generally more socially acceptable (regardless of actual effects).
Old 04-01-2023, 15:54   #80
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I'm with Boatman on this one. Some drugs are significantly addictive and have corresponding withdrawal effects (caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, etc.). Others are generally not (including weed). I can't say it's impossible to end up addicted to it given enough use, but it's certainly not on the same level as many other common addictive substances.

That said, some people do have an addictive personality and can get addicted to practically anything that makes them feel good enough. Some people get addicted to running or working out, for example. And others have a strong enough constitution that they can play around with the most addictive of substances and just walk away whenever they want (provided they're not in deep enough to worry about serious withdrawal symptoms).

Like many things, it's about quantity. Being high all the time or adopting the lifestyle of a stoner is never going to go well. But in moderation, it's a whole different story. Plus, everyone's brain is wired differently. Much like how some people end up needing antidepressants to be functional, or how strong uppers like Adderall have a different effect on those with ADHD vs someone who doesn't.
Niethr I nor mor most DRs think "everyones brain is "wired differently".
Old 04-01-2023, 15:59   #81

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post

Definitely that last paragraph.

If you know anybody who has a mental health issue, you can see that they don’t operate the same way the rest of us do.

They don’t really get high. They just get normal. Just like you were describing here. There is a completely different effect.
Old 04-01-2023, 16:01   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
I have half a dozen (now ex)friends that with no uncertain terms are addicted. I lived with them; I know. If they are not high on weed, they get the shakes, get angry and violent, and paranoid. They wake up in the middle of the night and need to smoke and get high to fall asleep again. Those are physical withdrawal symptoms. They are unable to keep a job because they miss so much work, or because they get fired for being high at work. Their life is a miserable train wreck, and I had to distance myself from it.

I have other friends that are in marijuana anonymous, the 12 step program for marijuana addicts. Try telling them that it is not addictive.

I also have friends that are not addicted. My brother used meth for a stint in high-school and did not become addicted. He smoked a whole lot of weed and never became addicted, and ultimately quit for work. That does not mean the drugs are not addictive.

There are some really important uses for marijuana. I knew a girl with brain cancer, and her surgeon prescribed it for her. I question the validity of most "medical" cards, but that sure was legit. And, just like some people can drink a bit of alcohol and not become an alcoholic, the same is true of weed.

Just because all the anti-weed propaganda of the past was BS, doesn't mean that it is a harmless habit or cure-all. It doesn't mean all of the sudden that it is safe. It is an addictive drug with side effects.
And this one too. I have seen several people become addicted to weed. Just like you were describing. I would say the vast majority do not, but there is a certain percentage that does. Probably pretty similar to alcohol.
Old 04-01-2023, 16:06   #83
cruiser

POLL: How many pro pot sailors here would be OK taking off as a passenger in any airplane when they knew the pilot was stoned on pot??? Answers please.
Old 04-01-2023, 16:06   #84
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
POLL: How many pro pot sailors here would be OK taking off as a passenger in any airplane when they knew the pilot was stoned on pot??? Answers please.
(heh heh heh)
Old 04-01-2023, 16:15   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post

That’s all called “(whatever) while intoxicated “ now.

It falls in the same category as drunk pilots. Pilots on crack cocaine. Pilots on PCP. And even Pilot who took their prescription medication but are affected by it. Like those Tiger Woods crashes.

Pretty sure no one‘s going to answer that they would be fine with pilots Flying while intoxicated. Drivers either. That stuff is a very big deal.
Old 04-01-2023, 16:31   #86

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
I definitely came across them in the marinas. Always talking about when they will leave, but never working towards it.
Old 04-01-2023, 16:34   #87
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

A good friend of mine recently decided it was time to give up cigarettes, after decades of puffing.
I agreed to be his mentor.

I'm sure that smoking ciggies and dope must be close to the same thing.
Nonetheless, we embarked on this voyage together, knowing that ciggy smoking is both a habit and an addiction.

Step one was to put his mind in the right place, recognizing that this was likely a harmful addiction, which was the addiction part. A smart dude, he understood this implicitly.

The habit part was just always having a ciggy pack in your shirt pocket. First ciggy of the day with coffee, with booze, after a meal, etc. Just the thought of a ciggy between your fingers is very habit forming, etc.

First few days, as can be expected, were rough, The body is craving that nicotine, but with each passing day, the craving lessens.

The habit part was a bit more problematic as it involved ritual, etc

I told him to repeat this mantra every time an urge came to light, I told him to tell himself " you do not smoke anymore"...end of discussion.

By jove, it worked, at first he was counting every smoke free day, but I told him to quit this as that was just a reminder of how long he didn't have a smoke. Just repeat the mantra I told him.

He is now thru' the woods and can go to a party amongst smokers and not partake.
He has quit counting days and has accepted "he doesn't smoke anymore"

I wish it could be that simple for everyone, but realize it's not.

Just had a friend undergo a quadruple heart procedure operation. A lifelong smoker, first thing he did when he got home was to light a ciggy. Nuts.
Old 04-01-2023, 16:36   #88

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
But, she has all sorts of issues. Mental health issues.

Don't they all? It gets worse as they age.
Old 04-01-2023, 16:39   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
I definitely came across them in the marinas. Always talking about when they will leave, but never working towards it.
This thread is still making me laugh. I know these exact characters. Ha ha ha.
Old 04-01-2023, 16:42   #90

Quote:
A good friend of mine recently decided it was time to give up cigarettes, after decades of puffing.
I agreed to be his mentor.

I'm sure that smoking ciggies and dope must be close to the same thing.
Nonetheless, we embarked on this voyage together, knowing that ciggy smoking is both a habit and an addiction.

Step one was to put his mind in the right place, recognizing that this was likely a harmful addiction, which was the addiction part. A smart dude, he understood this implicitly.

The habit part was just always having a ciggy pack in your shirt pocket. First ciggy of the day with coffee, with booze, after a meal, etc. Just the thought of a ciggy between your fingers is very habit forming, etc.

First few days, as can be expected, were rough, The body is craving that nicotine, but with each passing day, the craving lessens.

The habit part was a bit more problematic as it involved ritual, etc

I told him to repeat this mantra every time an urge came to light, I told him to tell himself " you do not smoke anymore"...end of discussion.

By jove, it worked, at first he was counting every smoke free day, but I told him to quit this as that was just a reminder of how long he didn't have a smoke. Just repeat the mantra I told him.

He is now thru' the woods and can go to a party amongst smokers and not partake.
He has quit counting days and has accepted "he doesn't smoke anymore"

I wish it could be that simple for everyone, but realize it's not.

Just had a friend undergo a quadruple heart procedure operation. A lifelong smoker, first thing he did when he got home was to light a ciggy. Nuts.

I did this with a friend. A much taller and bigger friend.

I was the one who was doing some smoking. Just at the bar. In college. He didn’t like it. I was trying not to do it anymore either. So he agreed to help.

Crazy guy that he was, here was his solution:

“ if I see you with a cigarette in your mouth, I will kick you in the shins.“

And he did!!! And it hurt!

So, it made it a lot easier to stop those little bar cigarettes I would bum off the ladies.
Closed Thread

Tags
boat