Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2015, 19:39   #151

Boat: Custom 30
Re: What Can We Do About Drones?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hullvenus View Post
Post #145 directly above the one of yours I'm quoting?

Time for a visit to the eye doctor.

Maybe you are a person who likes starting arguments

Maybe you should look at Ann's post count.

5,000 posts here means we know Ann is not an instigator.

165 posts in 4 months?

Ann's eyes are fine, and they have seen more from the deck of a cruising boat than most of us ever will.

'
Custom30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 19:51   #152

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
And maybe 2hullvenus is an energy sink, someone who really wants some attention, rather than a solution to the problem... Ten pages now, a number of non-warlike solutions offered, no mention of taking up any of them....

Seems to me that if my anchorage became unpleasant to me for some reason, I'd move. Why did he not do that? according to his post, there is anchorage nearby.

Ann
+1 for Ann

S**t or get off the pot.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 19:53   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom30 View Post
Maybe you should look at Ann's post count.

on any forum one can have volumes of posts and still be an "instigator"...

that being said, given the timing of Ann's post six minutes after 2hull's #145, i'd be rather inclined to say that she was in the act of writing/posting as 2hull posted #145 and missed his post.

in any event, jamming would get my vote as well, and 'will be eager to hear how this all plays out. 'hope we can as well get some pics of the downed and drowned offending drone!
DaveyJones888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 20:12   #154

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I think that only one person has mentioned the mature solution--ignore it and it will get tired and go away.

A decent drone will RTB if you jam it.

The FAA is trying to regulate drones, so will be very sympathetic to any complaints.

Based on the drone phobia in this thread any jury will find in your favor.

I find it sad that most people are biased against drones. They represent the future, and the counties that ban them will be overrun by the countries that develop them.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 20:34   #155

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Well I think 2Hulls has a legit beef. He says this drone comes by multiple times a day. That would piss me off. And some of you folks say ignore that?? As far as the 145 post, the majority of those were people other than 2Hulls. Apparently the post was interesting to a lot of members. How does 2Hulls get blamed for that?? Me? That drone is coming down one way or another.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 20:35   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I find it sad that most people are biased against drones. They represent the future ...

the future of what!? privacy violation??
because really, we all need more useless gadgets and technological intrusion in our lives, and it's not bad enough that practically every idiot is already eyeballs deep in their "smart" phone, "living" life through a constant assimilated medium...
hell, why even go to sea at all when you could just sit at home and enjoy a virtual reality simulation of sailing or vicariously let your drone take in the breeze?
Old 09-11-2015, 20:39   #157

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hullvenus View Post
Guys, my boat is on par (outside anyway) with some of the best in the world.

It's an attention getter.

People filmed me all the way here from up north.

Mega yacht crews dropped what they were doing to watch the boat.

Hundreds of thumbs up.

But... that didn't bother me. The drone is different because it's able to see me doing private things and sneak up on me.
If your boat is so great looking, how about a shot of it, and you?

BTW, I'd go for the buy a cheap drone and try to crash it into the offender. They'll both die, but it would be worth it.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 20:42   #158
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
12 ga, #6 or 8 bird shot.
Amen.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 21:01   #159

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post
Amen.

Paul
drones are tough.

A Birdshot Proof Drone Made From Kydex - The Firearm Blog

drones can shoot back

donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 21:05   #160

Boat: Custom 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJones888 View Post

on any forum one can have volumes of posts and still be an "instigator"...

Not here, not for 5,000 posts.

All one has to do is read a few of her 5,000 posts to see that Ann is always helpful and polite. With a wealth of knowledge and experience, it is fair to say that she and Jim are here more to give than receive advice, wisdom, and cruising expertise.

She and I don't always agree, but most here still have the highest respect for those with such a cruising CV. You don't get that many miles under your keel without learning plenty.

Ann was just making a valid observation, which has yet to be addressed aside from attributing it to a non-existent medical condition.

The reason we cruise is to be free to move. That is what cruising is. If anything is bothering us anywhere we anchor, we can weigh that sucker and move to a new place with ease. A couple days sailing could put him at Shark River or 10,000 Islands. Absolutely no fear of drones there.

If you own a boat that is outwardly "on a par with the best in the world", and are offended when it draws attention, drones or otherwise, you will be like the guy with a beautiful wife who gets mad when people look at her. A boat that looks like the best in the world will draw lots of unwanted attention along with the wanted kind. Theives will be attracted, as will be the curious, the dock walking looky loos, and cameras held by people and maybe drones. No way to jam or shoot all of them.

There are many Forums where an instigating troll might have 5,000 posts. Not this one, it is Moderated better than that.

'
Custom30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 21:08   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
If your boat is so great looking, how about a shot of it, and you?

BTW, I'd go for the buy a cheap drone and try to crash it into the offender. They'll both die, but it would be worth it.
You got my inventive mind working. An anti drone drone. I think I'll call it the spitfire drone. Could be armed with pellets (so as not to offend any firearms laws) or a mini flame thrower (my preference).

Yes, spitfire drones to down those pesky invaders of my space. Much better than the Kamikaze take down.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 21:30   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom30 View Post
Ann is always helpful and polite.
i'm sure you're correct, but

Quote:
And maybe 2hullvenus is an energy sink, someone who really wants some attention, rather than a solution to the problem...
hardly sounds either helpful or polite to my ears.

as for the "valid observation", i suppose it's true that 2hull could just runaway from being harassed easily enough... but why should he (self-aggrandized claims about his allegedly fancy-shmancy boat aside) have to? the domestic peeping tom analog comes to mind here as well: if someone was repeatedly snooping around your home-on-the-hard would you just pick-up and move?

as for resorting to the State's armed thugs or adopting a more "war-like" 'vigilante' approach by taking the matter into one's own hands, all i can say is that we all have different ideas about that most necessary of qualities for the prudent mariner: self-sufficiency...
Old 09-11-2015, 21:31   #163

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
One more time for folks who think jamming radio signals is a good idea.

What are the penalties for using a jammer? Can I go to prison?

Yes. The unlawful use of a jammer is a criminal offense and can result in various sanctions, including a jail sentence. More specifically, the unlawful marketing, sale, or operation of cell phone, GPS, or other signal jammers in the U.S. can result in:
 significant fines (we call them “monetary forfeitures”) – up to $16,000 for each violation or each day of a continuing violation, and as high as $112,500 for any single act;  government seizure of the illegal equipment; and  criminal penalties including imprisonment.
See 47 U.S.C. §§ 401, 501, 503, 510; 47 C.F.R. § 1.80(b)(3).
The FCC has taken action against various individuals and business entities for unlawfully operating and marketing jammers. You can find more information on jammer enforcement at www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/jammer-enforcement.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 21:47   #164

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVIme View Post
This posting has moved faster than any other post I have seen in the two months I have been following the forum. I did not realize the extent that drone phobia has grown in such a short time. I have been flying RC devices of some type or another for 40 years and the recent technology advances are putting these in the hands of everyone and will eventually destroy my hobby.

I wish the original poster could meet the pilot of the quadcopter and appreciate his (or her) hobby. I am confident that the pilot doesn't realize that it is offending him. The responses you get are one extreme or the other. Many people would be flattered that someone was taking an interest in their boat enough to photograph it. When I encounter anyone that shows displeasure I immediately leave the location and move on.

I took my Inspire 1 (a $3500 investment) to the BVI's this year and couldn't imagine two things that where mean't for each other any more. I have watched the videos a hundred times reliving seven days in paradise.

I have been very happy with my Inspire 1 and like you have been flying RCs for many years. But I got a new platform that I hope to take with me this winter/spring cruise. Not sure if you have seen the HEXH2O but it is worth a look.

and the web site

Waterproof Multirotors. Fly in the rain or over water with the QuadH2o and HexH2o
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 22:22   #165

Quote:
And maybe 2hullvenus is an energy sink, someone who really wants some attention, rather than a solution to the problem... Ten pages now, a number of non-warlike solutions offered, no mention of taking up any of them....

Seems to me that if my anchorage became unpleasant to me for some reason, I'd move. Why did he not do that? according to his post, there is anchorage nearby.

Ann
I've come to the conclusion that one of 3 things is happening:
- It's all made up to get a rise out of us.
- There is a key piece of information he is not sharing (such as intentionally messing with a local land owner, an angry ex-wife, he moons them, etc...)
- The world is out to get him.

My guess is #2 but I could buy any of the 3.

And #145 is still a destroy the drone option. Just because it is hurling radio waves and not physical objects, doesn't mean it isn't an aggressive countermeasure.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote