Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2015, 10:27   #76

Re: What Can We Do About Drones?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hullvenus View Post
I'm having a hell of a time right now with some jerk who keeps sending a drone to my boat.

I'm at anchor and this jerk sends the drone 20' above the boat repeatedly, day after day.

I'm really tired of the noise and I'm not here at anchor to have people looking in my salon windows and stuff.

I'm in Miami. What are my legal rights?

First instinct is to throw things at it.
Borrow my shotgun.......
574Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:29   #77

Boat: Westerly Sealord

1/ Buy a football... New Zealand boy knocks drone out of sky with football – video | Sport | The Guardian
2/Track it to its lair( you say its a creature of habit)....set up camp across the street and start filming the owner coming and going.....
Old 09-11-2015, 10:38   #78

The FAA does have jurisdiction, and is getting ready to issue rules which include drone registration. They have already set 400 feet as the highest they are allowed to fly... as airplanes are allowed to fly no lower than 500 feet.

I would not discharge any type of weapon... all are illegal here in Los Angeles (including sling shots). If this guy is doing this to harass you, he's hoping you'll do something he can get use against you. Don't give him any ammo; record the craft, and call the cops, file complaints, and copy the FAA. While that may not do you any immediate good, it will serve notice on the local cops that others are watching.

You could also follow the thing as they have a limited air time. Each day you will get closer, until you see where it lands. Take his picture, send it in with your complaint. Visibility and sunlight does wonders with these types of trolls. Otherwise only passive steps, like the bird netting hung where he hovers, is about the only thing I would do.

Good luck.
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:41   #79

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Given your own use of RC craft, what would YOU do if you were being buzzed or circled or flown by closely (as the OP states) repeatedly while anchored?
In addition to my flying platforms I also have more conventional cameras with large telephoto lens that would allow me to capture images of the RC craft. I keep a camera at the ready when I am on the boat to capture things like dolphin breaching close to the boat so it would be easy for me do document the craft and just how close it was to the boat. If it was a recurring event I would take the documentation to city or county LEOs and asked them for advice.

Sad to say many of the reports of being "buzzed or circled or flown by closely" have been disproven by logs automatically kept by the RC craft. I have also seen videos of drones being flown so close to folks that they could easily swat them down.

As I posted earlier the flight time for non military stuff is limited to maybe 15 minutes total so you would need to be able to react quickly as the RC would not be handing around long enough for a delayed action.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:54   #80

Boat: Westerly Sealord

If it is always at about 20 feet...set up a number of 'barrage balloons' ( balloon... fishing line...sinker on seabed) at 40 feet around your perimeter... it wouldn't know what hit it..one day it would just go missing.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:06   #81

Boat: sabre 28

If you decide to disable it's flight mechanism by whatever means you deem worthy be sure to make the first attempt count. You are after all being filmed in living color.
misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:09   #82

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

I would go with the fishing rod. Put a decent sized lure on there and cast it in to the spinning rotors. Let the line get spooled up, let it splash and reel it in. The offending operator is within sight of you so you might want to expect a confrontation. Those things aren't cheap.
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:19   #83

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Use a Bola, very effective, silent, and it will brig it down with minimum damage. You may be able to hold it for ransom $$$$
Mojadito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:30   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

FAA jurisdiction over drones is not so clear cut actually

My belief is if I fly one as I am a Commercial Pilot, because I have an FAA Certificate, I can be held liable by the FAA, but just a person without such a Certificate, can't.

For example, I've been told by an FAA FSDO inspector that if he catches a person flying a Cessna at the local airport and that person has never had at least a student pilot's certificate, he can't do anything, all he can do is call the Sheriff who will certainly ticket the individual for operating a motor vehicle in an un-safe manner or similar, yeah I know, it's screwy

FAA has no jurisdiction over small commercial drones, judge rules

This however is interesting

There is increasing demand to use small drones for a wide array of commercial purposes. The FAA has identified the dividing line between a model aircraft and a small drone as more one of intent, rather than of technology. If it is used for commercial purposes, it’s a drone. If it’s used purely for recreational purposes, it’s a model aircraft.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:36   #85

Boat: Lagoon 450

Where diplomacy has failed you....then go for a slingshot with a pocketful of marbles.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:53   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I still say call the law,make a complaint of a "peeping Tom"
How did Tom get the blame anyway?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:58   #87

Rather than two nuts connected by a single monofilament line in a slingshot, perhaps more effective would be a small net hand woven out of fine monofilament, say two feet in diameter and weighted at its perimeter with BB sized metal beads or small split shot sinkers. If you can find a way to induce some spin that should enhance effectivity.

Casting such an apparatus with a fishing rod could be argued as a novel approach to net fishing!

Sojurnr
Sojurnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:01   #88

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Your legal rights are "up in the air" (pun intended).

The Freedom from Unwarranted Surveillance Act (FUSA)*, which took effect in Florida on July 1, 2015, prohibits a person, state agency or political subdivision from using a drone to capture an image of privately owned property or those on the property – including an owner, occupant or invitee – with the intent to conduct surveillance. The law further requires that those using drone technology in such a manner must have written consent from the people on the property under surveillance if a reasonable expectation of privacy exists.
* ➥ http://laws.flrules.org/2015/26

Trespass, as defined under Florida law, is “invasion of someone’s personal property without their consent”. I’m not aware of any cases where courts have ruled on how the law of trespass and self-defense should apply to drones.

The Courts, In United States v. Causby (1946) have affirmed that "the air above the minimum safe altitude of flight ... is a public highway and part of the public domain."

However, modern drones will most likely fly at lower altitudes, potentially putting them in airspace that the courts may (I'm not aware of any specific rulings) consider to be the controlled by the owner of the property below it.
GordMay,

As usual you have done our homework. If I where in my teens I might take some aggressive action. If all else fails bird shot might work today. His biggest problem is Dade County. The second amendment doesn't protect discharging of arms only having them.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:03   #89

Get yourself one of these: Amazon.com: Stream Machine TL-750 Water Launcher, 22-Inch Gun (colors may vary): Toys & Games

Reviews say it can shoot a solid stream 50', so it should easily knock down your offending drone.

Now, will you be liable for damage to the drone? That I don't know. I don't honestly think so, but I'm not an attorney. Florida has pretty solid privacy laws, so if it really is coming within 20' of you on a regular basis I would think you'd have a good case for knocking it out of the sky. Maybe file a couple of complaints with the police first, and document its visits. Then blast away!

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:09   #90

Boat: a sailing boat

First thing I would have it filmed from a neighbour's boat to get a proof of how close it got. Next I would take it down. I think an air pistol is one option.

If the owners comes and they are not in their rights, just call the cops.

Since it will crash into the water and sink, I would not worry much about the owner coming after me.

You can possibly jam it too but I do not know what hardware you want for this. Probably a quick google search will tell.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote