Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2016, 15:41   #16

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: What can't I name my boat?

I am superstitious and believe renaming boats to be bad luck, with or without the various ceremonies to appease the boat gods. So I would not change my boat name unless the current name was very bad.

Aside from this, even our very simply named boat "Manera"' has caused me no end of difficulty with the volunteer coast guard service who seem unable to grasp the name over VHF more than one time in five. (And yes, I have checked, according to those I speak to on our radio my voice comes through very clearly.). I also overhear similar scenarios (though much less dramatic) to those that Jim described when messages are trying to be relayed and the long/funny boat name causes all sorts of confusion and delay.

So if you must rename the boat, I strongly recommend something simple and short. Long funny names are a great joke the first time people see them at the dock, but long after the joke has worn off after they are a PITA to live with.

Matt
Old 27-10-2016, 16:46   #17

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
If your boat is Coast Guard documented, they enforce this rule:
The application for documentation must include a name for the vessel composed of letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals and may not exceed 33 characters. The name may not be identical, actually or phonetically, to any word or words used to solicit assistance at sea; may not contain or be phonetically identical to obscene, indecent, or profane language, or to racial or ethnic epithets.
Congrats on the new boat, and welcome to CF.

-David
I don't care. I'm naming mine after my dear old home town, even if it means adding a 40-foot stern extension:
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyllllantysili ogogogoch travel guide - Wikitravel
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 18:18   #18

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

A local proctologist named his boat "The Aft Hole".. Not trolling..it's true soooo... That one is taken. Just saying. :-)
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 18:36   #19

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
A local proctologist named his boat "The Aft Hole".. Not trolling..it's true soooo... That one is taken. Just saying. :-)
He could have named it Pokeman.

If your new boat doesn't immediately suggest to you a proper name, you might be trying too hard to be too cute.

When I bought Terra Nova I thought: If you were adopting a kid you wouldn't change his/her name just because he/she was suddenly "yours". And so decided to keep it the same.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 18:44   #20

Quote:
If he'd had any imagination, he'd have arrived at s/y Stinkfinger.

But then again, if he'd had any imagination, he wouldn't have become a proctologist.
Old 27-10-2016, 18:57   #21

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Call her 'After You'.... that will work with any female for the rest of your days...

'What is my boat called? Well, Honey, I named her after you.....'

Could be tricky in NZ unless you spell phonetically....
Old 27-10-2016, 19:26   #22

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

When we picked up our boat early this year, the name "BONUS" was painted rather crudely on her stern. We used it to transit (opening bridges) North through the ICW to Jacksonville, then into the St. John's River and thereafter South to Palatka.

I never liked the name of the boat, and the Admiral stated that she did not like it either. As she stepped aboard, the Admiral said in a surprised tone, "This B*tch Is Movin!" We laughed, and she asked if that could be the boat's name. I told her I surely did not want to announce such a moniker to every bridge master the length of the ICW over the next several days of our transit! We left things as is for a WHILE.

Finally, one day the Admiral was complaining how she wanted to revisit a town we once lived in, and by association, the term, "Equinox" come to my mind. I realized that this was not the largest cruising vessel for two people, but also not the smallest. She was not the oldest I had seen while shopping, but also not the newest. She was not in the worst condition, while also not the best. She was in the middle in all cases I could remember, and so the name of the middle day length of the year stuck. Not the longest, not the shortest, but in the middle. "Equinox" was perfect, and she will wear that on her stern for as long as I keep her, I believe. Admiral Monica loved the name as well, so all is nice!

Don't sweat a name right away, it will come to you soon enough. Just be patient and listen to your boat, because if you listen, she will probably tell you what she wants to be called. As you consider various names, one will just be perfect, the one that just fits her character and her spirit to you. Then, that is what you paint on her hull and announce to others on the VHF.
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 19:55   #23

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Generally a name that implies dominance over the sea and I assume also the weather is bad luck. As an example look up Peter Blake and how he died.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 20:28   #24

Boat: Tartan 37

Use this to check out documented boat names. There is one Unknown fishing vessel.

Office of Science and Technology
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 21:37   #25
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Avoid Anything that implies "Stress"
S/Y SINKING
S/Y HELP
S/Y FIRE....etc.etc

Avoid anything that implies.
"Agreement"
S/Y ROGER
S/Y AFTER YOU
S/Y YES
S/Y GO AHEAD

Avoid anything that implies your
FRENCH......just kidding![emoji3]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 22:05   #26

Boat: In Between Boats

Don't use SV Clinton as that one's sinking fast. But hey, SV Bernie's stock took a sudden jump lately!

Hearts Content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 00:20   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Avoid using pithy, SAT level, or obscure.

I am superstitious and did not change the name of my boat "Cynosure" when I purchased her. The decision not to change the name causes me to phonically spell it for every #%^! bridge opening.

Just another thing to consider.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 08:00   #28

Boat: Freedom 32

Boaty Mc boat face seems to be popular name.
Craig Cape Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 08:24   #29

Boat: Baba 40

Had a buddy name his boat "Noname" (pronounced 'No-nah-may'). Something to consider...
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 08:25   #30

Boat: 1 off, Composite, Longkeeler with centrecockpit, Ketch, Launched 1960, 49 ft.

On a mooring in Ireland I saw a boat called "Gunrunner". I was in stitches and absolutely loved the name but, the customs- immigrations- and whatever-guys will certainly love to keep visiting and examining your boat!

Fair winds
Dody
Dody is offline   Reply With Quote