Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 15:04   #16

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Auspicious -
Sounds reasonable. As long as the individual is identified as being part of the crew of the vessel mentioned in the cruising permit that should keep the powers that be happy.
Old 02-07-2010, 15:13   #17

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Sounds reasonable. As long as the individual is identified as being part of the crew of the vessel mentioned in the cruising permit that should keep the powers that be happy.
It's worked for me a handful of times in the last couple of years without exception.

Incidentally, the same approach has worked for me in the BVI.

I can e-mail copies of my successful paperwork to anyone who PMs me an e-mail address.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 15:18   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
But in "this case" the crew were not identified as part of the crew on the cruising permit. So they would need a letter from the owner stating that they would be part of the crew of the boat with the cruising permit. They would also need a copy of the cruising permit, which apparently is on the boat.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 15:22   #19

We never had a problem with the crew member being added to the cruising permit (or a copy thereof), albeit written in and signed by the captain. Still leaves the op with the need for a copy of the cruising permit.

Sometimes a round trip ticket is only slightly higher than a one way. Also, some airlines in the past would refund the unused portion of a round trip. Don't count on that in this day and age, but maybe.
Old 02-07-2010, 15:25   #20

Boat: St Francis 44 MkII
OK - here's my situation now. I had the person who is taking care of the boat (he didn't have a fax) email me a scanned copy of the permit. It isn't totally readable, but I'm hoping that is good enough if I fill in what I know. No where on the form is crew listed (not even the wife of the owner), so only the owner is on it. I do have a letter from the owner stating that my husband has permission to bring the boat from the Bahamas to the U.S. and it is signed and notarized in the U.S. (not sure if that is recognized in the Bahamas). I am hoping this will be enough, but maybe I should call the airline to be sure? I don't want to stir up trouble but I also don't want to be caught by surprise and not be allowed to enter.

Any new thoughts here ?
crewofnoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 15:26   #21

In addition....the letter from the owner is not on letterhead.
Old 02-07-2010, 18:26   #22

crewofnoka -
I think you should be good to go. You might want to double check with the airlines, I've often thought they were more of a problem about this than the Bahamanian authorities. As I mentioned, some airline personnel are not familiar with this cruising permit stuff. You need to talk with someone who is knowledgeable, but I don't think you'll have a problem with what you've got.
The paperwork is the hard part. Have a good time. Where are you going to arrive?
Old 02-07-2010, 19:10   #23

Just to throw in one(or two) more twists: I've understood that cruising permits are issued for 1 year, however the permit for this boat says 6 months, which has already expired. The owner is saying they have 1 year, but again, that is not what the permit says. Hopefully that does not become an issue.
And twist 2: the letter from the owner names my husband as crew but then just says "and crew" no other names. I will be entering as (unnamed) crew. Problem?

FSMike: expected arrival is Morehead City, NC then continuing on to RI (maybe)
Old 02-07-2010, 19:26   #24

Oy vey.
IIRC you can get a cruising permit for a year, but some officials will issue you one for a shorter period for no known reason. It's de islands, mon. When that one expires you have to go get it renewed. I have no idea what that means in your situation,
As far as twist #2, the best thing would be to have the owner retype the letter showing your husband as captain (I assume) and you and/or whoever else as crew. That's what God created FedEx for.
Actually, I was curious about where you were arriving in the Bahamas.
Sending you a PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 19:43   #25

oh, George Town
Old 02-07-2010, 20:18   #26

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
The Bahamas Customs Department Temporary Cruising Permit is good for 6 months.
Part of the permit : "and it is my intention to take it (the vessel) out of the Bahamas within 6 months in accordance with the provisions of the Customs Management Act and Regulations".
This is the permit issued when you enter the country. I think you can extend it but the foregoing is the printed wording. There is no place for an expiry date on the permit. There is only an issuing date and that wording. The master of the vessel is required to return the permit at the port of departure or mail it to Customs in Nassau.
Old 02-07-2010, 20:36   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
The "Yachtsman's Guide" advises you buy return airline ticket and leave return open, then either cash in or use other portion for another trip.

Yachtsmans Guide - The Most Widely Read Bahamas and Virigin Islands Cruising Guide

Noonsite may have the correct information.

http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Ba...rc=Formalities
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:36   #28

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
DeepFrz,

What volume are you referring to? The Yachtmans Guide is now the poorest of Bahamas guide books. I have two volumes 1990 and 2002. The later one contained much the same sketch charts and old info that was in the 1990 one. Not very good as the cruising world has changed a lot since 1990, GPS and relatively inexpensive mapping tools being the main driver of the change. In 2002 much of the info in the 2002 guide was incorrect, mostly due to the passage of time and lack of updating. In 1990 it was the guide to the Bahamas. Today I would not use it.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:45   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
The Bahamas Customs Department Temporary Cruising Permit is good for 6 months.
Vasco - Did that change to a year with the new fee structure? We haven't been there since 2008, not to mention I've got CRS.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:48   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
DeepFrz,

-- The Yachtmans Guide is now the poorest of Bahamas guide books. --
I second that. They have been replaced by Steve Pavilidis' guides and the Explorer Chart kits. The only current info in the Yachtsman's Guide is the ads.