Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2014, 16:32   #301

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: What is the current FL anchoring policy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
So, I guess I don't "get it"? You never anchor out? What the heck kind of cruiser are you?

We anchor when and where we can (for free). It's really not a problem offloading trash, getting a pump out, and filling the water tanks when stopping for fuel. Sometimes, it is even worth a paying for a night at a marina to get this accomplished. That's what cruisers do (if you ever go cruising, you just might understand). Many, many days while cruising, there are no marinas. Yes...even in Florida.

Where should I take a marina on the Little Shark River, or Indian Key (or Russell Pass)?

I don't think the Publix has a problem (and appreciates) taking my money when we are anchored at South Beach, or the north Lake Worth anchorage. Free dinghy dock at south beach across the street from Publix. Free dinghy landing on the beach at N. Lake Worth. I could go on and on, but why bother? You don't seem to know much about cruising, or in fact, the people that call themselves cruisers.

Ralph
It looks like you've gotten yourself so worked up over this that you read things into my thread that I didn't write. And of course there's the standard implied insult that someone who doesn't do just as you do is not truly a "cruiser".

That said, I will attempt to enlighten you.

I (we) do anchor out quite often in quiet and hopefully deserted anchorages. We will often take our dinghy to beaches to sunbathe, and/or swim, hunt for shells and let the sea dog play. We also take the dinghy to explore areas where it's impractical to take the big boat.

Other times, in towns or cities we want to explore, we will take a slip in a local marina or sometimes a free or cheap town dock. Its just easier, especially if we want to get on and off the boat multiple times, shop, do laundry, take long hot showers, walk the dog, etc. And of course, some marinas have pools and loaner vehicles for slip renters.

Hopefully, you will now have a different view of me and accept me and my wife and dog as "cruisers". And understand that the word "cruisers" applies to a wide spectrum of boaters.
Old 24-12-2014, 17:10   #302

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
For years, a decent cruiser would dinghy up, drink a beer at the marina bar or eat a cheeseburger, then run across the street to the grocery store or 2-3 blocks to West Marine.
Excuse me? Since when was it that I was required to pay tribute to a marina? How about they stop charging $15 for a hamburger that tastes like it came from the innards of a sea slug?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 17:14   #303
CLOD

Boat: none

This thread is just sooooooooooooooooooooo far off track.
Old 24-12-2014, 17:14   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Excuse me? Since when was it that I was required to pay tribute to a marina? How about they stop charging $15 for a hamburger that tastes like it came from the innards of a sea slug?
You're going to have to explain that post. It makes no sense.
Old 24-12-2014, 17:24   #305

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

It makes perfect sense. He was equating the spending of money at a marina to cruising. If you want to know why cruisers don't want to spend money at expensive marinas and pay for dockage just look at their product they offer. Over-priced menus for poor food, docks with NO fingers, no security, nothing.

If you want to take care of derelict vessels then fine them for not showing a designated anchor light. Put the fine on their cabin door/companionway. Let them stack up. When the owner doesn't show up for court, seize the vessel fro lack or payment of fines. No reason to qualify them as derelict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I just don't understand why letsgetsailing3 and some others think they have the right to just plop their boat down anywhere and store it or live on it. You can't do that on land.

Perhaps these folks have been getting away with it for years and fear that they will eventually have to contribute.
You are comparing apples and oranges. Lands are generally owned by the state or private unless they are owned by the fed for some specific purpose... national parks, military bases, etc. I don't know of any land being held by the fed without some specific purpose. The water s are held by the fed for the specific use of navigation as they define it. End of story.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 17:56   #306

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Nobody is requiring anything of you, please explain where I stated you are forced to use a private dock at a marina? Or do you believe you are entitled to use it for free?
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 19:02   #307

Quote:
I just don't understand why letsgetsailing3 and some others think they have the right to just plop their boat down anywhere and store it or live on it. You can't do that on land.

Perhaps these folks have been getting away with it for years and fear that they will eventually have to contribute.
You should probably stick to topics you know something about, as you don't know just how far off you are.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 19:07   #308
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
This thread is just sooooooooooooooooooooo far off track.

Yes it is, a lot of threads sort of just evolve.
But can we all remember to play nice? Disagreement is not disrespect, but please be nice even if you disagree.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 06:41   #309

Quote:
It makes perfect sense. He was equating the spending of money at a marina to cruising. If you want to know why cruisers don't want to spend money at expensive marinas and pay for dockage just look at their product they offer. Over-priced menus for poor food, docks with NO fingers, no security, nothing.
If that's what he meant, why didn't he just say it is stead of implying that he was being forced to "pay tribute to a marina?" There are no laws saying you have to eat at a marina. He is out of line here.

Quote:
You are comparing apples and oranges. Lands are generally owned by the state or private unless they are owned by the fed for some specific purpose... national parks, military bases, etc. I don't know of any land being held by the fed without some specific purpose. The water s are held by the fed for the specific use of navigation as they define it. End of story.
Not the "end of story" as you should be able to tell by the anchoring laws. The states have a lot of control over land and water within their jurisdictions. Just because you say they don't doesn't change anything. Go ahead and drop your anchor in one of the established mooring fields and refuse to pay and see what happens.

You seem to think this is only in FL, but there are many parts of the country where mooring fields have been established and it's illegal to anchor in the midst of one. Annapolis, MD is an example and this has been the case for years.

You do not have the right to do anything you want to just because you're on the water and not on land. Consider this: Could I legally operate a whorehouse on the river in front of a town because it's "federal water"? Could I operate a gambling establishment? Could I legally fish without a state license? The answer, of course, is "no". Now that is the End of Story.
Old 25-12-2014, 06:45   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
You should probably stick to topics you know something about, as you don't know just how far off you are.
I am just voicing an opinion and it is something I know about. It would be a pretty dull forum if everyone was required to have the same opinion.
Old 25-12-2014, 07:15   #311

Quote:
I am just voicing an opinion and it is something I know about. It would be a pretty dull forum if everyone was required to have the same opinion.
You're not just voicing opinion, you're providing false assumptions. The comments you made about me personally were no more accurate than they were clever, and I'm quite sure you don't know me.

You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts, so you should ascribe to a higher standard for the "facts" you purport to know. You assuming something doesn't make it a fact, so I'd recommend you source your opinions -- you'll find them to be more inaccurate that you realize.

For example, you use Annapolis, MD as an example "proving" that states have control of coastline. You realize that Annapolis is on the Chesapeake Bay, and not on the coastline, right? Do you think that might make a difference in regards to legal jurisdiction? These are complicated matters that have been argued in great detail in courts. You need to source your opinions a little more carefully if you want to be relevant.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 07:35   #312

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
You're not just voicing opinion, you're providing false assumptions. The comments you made about me personally were no more accurate than they were clever, and I'm quite sure you don't know me.

You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts, so you should ascribe to a higher standard for the "facts" you purport to know. You assuming something doesn't make it a fact, so I'd recommend you source your opinions -- you'll find them to be more inaccurate that you realize.

For example, you use Annapolis, MD as an example "proving" that states have control of coastline. You realize that Annapolis is on the Chesapeake Bay, and not on the coastline, right? Do you think that might make a difference in regards to legal jurisdiction? These are complicated matters that have been argued in great detail in courts. You need to source your opinions a little more carefully if you want to be relevant.
Whatever dude. I'm not going to trade insults with you until the censors start removing posts.

We're not talking ocean here. Beaufort, SC has a mooring field. It's on the AICW. You have to pay and can't anchor within the mooring field. Do you believe this is illegal? Beaufort also has a five mile long no-wake zone. Is this illegal because it's federal water?
Old 25-12-2014, 07:41   #313

Boat: Soverel 30

Towns in fla are required to lease the sea floor to install a mooring field.

That transfer of funds allows them to regulate the mooring field,....only.

Sent from my HUAWEI-M931 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
soverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 07:48   #314

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
What is the current FL anchoring policy?

16 pages of posts and we still do not have a clear answer to the topic question. I prefer to spend my time more productively rather than reading through a bunch of personal insults. I think the majority of us do as well. Thanks Soverel for a simple posting on topic.

Merry Xmas to all of us.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 09:38   #315

Boat: Various

This topic seems to bring out the worst in people. I am trying hard to not remember who wrote what because much of what was written here was insulting and disgusting. Sadly, I've twice been near similar discussions in person that turned ugly as well. Those who are unable to discuss it without making personal attacks will ultimately play no role in it's resolution. If anything they worsen the chance of their viewpoint being considered. Fortunately, calmer heads from all points of view will prevail.

Insulting others will never get your viewpoint heard. It will also never lower the other person as much as it does you.

As to why the moderators allow it, I don't know, but that's the choice of the forum.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, current