Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2014, 23:02   #1

Boat: Corbin 39
What papers are needed to cross Pacific

I am from EU (Slovenia).
I have "big" plan. To sail over Pacific.
From USA to Australia: Marquesas Islands,French Polynesia,Cook Islands,
Fiji Islands, New Zealand.

And....

I have no idea what papers can "officers" request.
Passport,....?

I am coming to USA next week to search for sailing boat,
and so what must i take from residential country?

What vaccinations must i take?
pr2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 01:28   #2

Boat: Lagoon 450
Re: What papers are needed to cross Pacific

Start by reading www.noonsite.com and follow up with embassies.

Emerald Sea
Lagoon 450/304
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 03:12   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Hi, PR2501,

I hope you don't take this as rude and I have never said this to anyone on the forum before and normally I encourage everyone to follow their dreams but...

You have done none of the basic research needed to even begin this adventure. You aren't even smart enough to ask clarifying questions.

In this thread and your other thread...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ed-115677.html

You are basically asking this forum to have completed all your research and give you all the answers. You may convince someone to do it but I doubt it.

In general you have these issues to research.

- Buying and registering a boat outside Slovenia - You must register the boat and I don't think you can do it in the USA. You may be able to register in a Carribean country. There are folks here with knowledge of that - Start a thread in the Red Tape" forum that says something like "Slovenian Citizen registering boat in Carribean or USA."

That may reveal some options.

part 2 - You need to meet the Immigration and Customs requirements for each country you plan to stop at for you and all your crew. For the boat you need to understand the implications of the boat itself (some countries perceive the boat as an import). For the contents of the boat you also need to meet the import restrictions for everything you carry in (guns, livestock, banned items etc.)

For that you need to research each country. Noonsite is the place to start - specifically start here -

DOCUMENTS YOU WILL NEED — Noonsite

Selling the boat in Australia - You will be subject to all the import rules for the boat, quarantine for pests (probably), holding tanks etc.

More importantly than that you will be taxed on the import. Part of the tax is the cost of the boat + the cost of importing the boat - that is every dollar you spend on the journey from the Caribbean (or USA) including fuel and provisions. It's more complex than that but you should go the the Aussie government website and research this.

You will find the forum a great place to get help if you don't understand a specific thing but you gotta help by helping yourself first.

Are you really planning to leave for the US next week and then launch across the pacific shortly after? When is this trip planned for?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 11:09   #4

Boat: Corbin 39

Yes i am coming next week.
And i will travel around for some time to check boats and options for registration. Maybe i will move to Caribbean.

If i will buy a boat, i will spend some time on it, to get confidential and then move offshore next year.

Noonsite is what i was looking for.

Thank you.

I am making my research now.

I am trying to find out if there are some documents which are needed in general traveling around the oceans and that can be only obtained in native country.
pr2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 11:35   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Dan..... He will learn and we will learn along with him about cultural differences..

Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 11:41   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What papers are needed to cross Pacific

Stuff you'll need when cruising..
Passport.
Drivers licence. (if you ever need a car)
Visa's. (if appropriate).
Radio licence. (as above)
Vaccination Certificates. (as above).
Bill of Sale. (Proof of ownership).
Registration.
Insurance (Liability minimum).
Oh... nearly forgot.. its good to have a qualification of some kind.. even if its just Day Skipper else you may find yourself being stopped from sailing by the HM in some places around the world unless you hire/get someone with a qualification to skipper for you.
Have had to help folk outa this a couple of times..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 12:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Hi, PR2501,

I hope you don't take this as rude and I have never said this to anyone on the forum before and normally I encourage everyone to follow their dreams but...

You have done none of the basic research needed to even begin this adventure. You aren't even smart enough to ask clarifying questions.

In this thread and your other thread...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ed-115677.html

You are basically asking this forum to have completed all your research and give you all the answers. You may convince someone to do it but I doubt it.

In general you have these issues to research.

- Buying and registering a boat outside Slovenia - You must register the boat and I don't think you can do it in the USA. You may be able to register in a Carribean country. There are folks here with knowledge of that - Start a thread in the Red Tape" forum that says something like "Slovenian Citizen registering boat in Carribean or USA."

That may reveal some options.

part 2 - You need to meet the Immigration and Customs requirements for each country you plan to stop at for you and all your crew. For the boat you need to understand the implications of the boat itself (some countries perceive the boat as an import). For the contents of the boat you also need to meet the import restrictions for everything you carry in (guns, livestock, banned items etc.)

For that you need to research each country. Noonsite is the place to start - specifically start here -

DOCUMENTS YOU WILL NEED — Noonsite

Selling the boat in Australia - You will be subject to all the import rules for the boat, quarantine for pests (probably), holding tanks etc.

More importantly than that you will be taxed on the import. Part of the tax is the cost of the boat + the cost of importing the boat - that is every dollar you spend on the journey from the Caribbean (or USA) including fuel and provisions. It's more complex than that but you should go the the Aussie government website and research this.

You will find the forum a great place to get help if you don't understand a specific thing but you gotta help by helping yourself first.

Are you really planning to leave for the US next week and then launch across the pacific shortly after? When is this trip planned for?
My impression asking this question IS part of his research. Otherwise... I guess NO ONE should ask a question on this forum. Go do your research instead!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 12:17   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Often in this Forum.. The OP is asked to clarify or do a bit of basic homework first . Dan explained that very nicely.... many would just have ignored.

I ask questions on this Forum only after I have done my own research and find conflicts or need actual user advice on choices.
I think that shows respect for the other members and elevates the information exchange

That should be encouraged!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 14:34   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Often in this Forum.. The OP is asked to clarify or do a bit of basic homework first . Dan explained that very nicely.... many would just have ignored.

I ask questions on this Forum only after I have done my own research and find conflicts or need actual user advice on choices.
I think that shows respect for the other members and elevates the information exchange

That should be encouraged!
Correct, and well stated. If only more folks used this approach!

Jim
Old 23-07-2014, 14:51   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr2501 View Post
Yes i am coming next week.
And i will travel around for some time to check boats and options for registration. Maybe i will move to Caribbean.

If i will buy a boat, i will spend some time on it, to get confidential and then move offshore next year.

Noonsite is what i was looking for.

Thank you.

I am making my research now.

I am trying to find out if there are some documents which are needed in general traveling around the oceans and that can be only obtained in native country.
Good job on making your research. Also I think it is a good idea to do some local cruising for a while. This allows you to know the boat, understand what it needs etc.

If you buy in US you can make short trip to Mexico - this will give you some idea of what you need to do to clear into a country by private boat.

Buying in Texas, Florida or Caribbean may hove more interesting cruising for a while and more countries to practice checking in. This, of course will require a Panama Canal trip if you are headed across the pacific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
My impression asking this question IS part of his research. Otherwise... I guess NO ONE should ask a question on this forum. Go do your research instead!
Hi Cheechako - There are questions like, "I read on Noonsite I need to do A, B & C. Has anyone done this?"

Then there are questions like, "I want to buy a boat in the USA next week and sail it to Australia. What do I need to do?"

Maybe I over-reacted to OP. But this site is a huge resource of knowledge. Most people planning to cross the Pacific spend year(s) learning theoretically how to do it. They get a few miles of ocean sailing under their belt before launching across a big ocean (there are exceptions of course)

As Pelagic explained, I could simply ignore the post but I thought it was being helpful to point out some links that would get the OP started on his research.

As an aside. I think it is a legitimate course of learning, for example, to buy in SE USA or Caribbean and get some practice in, in a wonderful cruising environment, while wending one's way to Panama, Galapagos and thence across. It's a cram course in cruising in some less stressful environments than the Pacific Ocean...

Sorry to be long winded as usual but, you are right, I don't own the internet. People are free to ask anything they want and anyone can respond, even with bad info, "sometimes..."
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote