Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2022, 11:29   #16

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: What to do about this fool anchoring too close?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
In the OP's signature, he lists his vessel as "Pacific Seacraft Creala 40".

In the OP's post, there is only one Pacific Seacraft Creala 40. It is the forward of the two boats. If a call was made to the harbor master or a tow company in the conditions in the picture, there would be two options:

1) If the vessel in front is occupied, the occupant is advised to move their vessel.

2) If the vessel in front is UNoccupied (or if both vessels are unoccupied), the vessel is front is moved to a mooring and sent a bill.
So when the wind/tide changes the vessel in front is no longer the burdened vessel?
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 11:32   #17

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

It sucks that sometimes you have to move because of an idiot. Especially in those conditions. Still, it's better than taking damage.

Without an engine, I'd use the dinghy to either reset the anchor, or move my boat to a new location. If there wasn't a safer place in the anchorage, then adjust scope or kedge, if either would work to avoid contacting the other boat.

It was very kind of you to offer a spare anchor to a neighbor. I'd be afraid I might need it myself. Although I do carry an old CQR I'd love to have an excuse to get rid of.

That sounds like a horrible place to anchor. Seems there are too many inconsiderate and/or deadbeat neighbors. But sometimes you have no choice. If you have to get some engine work done, you're limited to places where you have easy access to parts and materials. Good luck, hopefully the weather improves and you can be on your way soon.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 11:34   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
Here is a land based analogy that tells you how I would handle this.

If a car parks in front of my house and blocks my driveway on a residential street that otherwise lacks "No Parking" signs, they technically are not breaking the law but have become a real ass. I assure you that car would not be blocking my driveway for very long. It would get moved one way or the other.
Every city and town I've lived in, in the US, has an ordinance making it illegal to block someones driveway. This negates the need to post signs along every street indicating that it is not allowed. In fact every ordinance I've ever read indicates the distance from a driveway you're allowed to park.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 11:35   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
So when the wind/tide changes the vessel in front is no longer the burdened vessel?
Yes. You're only burdened when boats are in contact with one another. When this occurs, it is the one in front that is moved.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 11:40   #20

Oddity noticed in the picture.

The wind is coming from the direction of the stern of these two boats.

Reference the wind turbine's orientation.

No joy when boats try to displace the same hole in the ocean.

Agree simplest thing to just relocate to a safer place.

If the other boat is dragging then the harbor master needs to deal with that hazard but that is not your issue, your boat's safe repositioning is priority.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 11:53   #21

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Curiosity: where are you anchored? Your avatar says Noosa... if so, where exactly?

Jim
Old 25-02-2022, 12:07   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Kind of correct. But both vessels are required to avoid collision / allision. The burden is not on just one vessel or the other.

It is easier to move / relocate the vessel in front then the boat behind.

The vessels swinging at anchor have made way and changed course, which implies requiring navigation to avoid endangerments.

Overlapping arc swings in an anchorage are an inherent difficulty. What works in one direction often does not work well in another. A very dynamic issue, requiring prompt and assertive action to maneuver to avoid allision. A reason why all boats are supposed to have standing anchor watch at all times, but which seldom occurs in real life.

Colreg highjacking!!!!

So I am wondering if either of the vessels were displaying black ball day signals when the picture was taken?

Hmmmn, I am also wondering if a boat does not have a functional engine and is at anchor should it also display that it is Restricted in its Ability to Maneuver. RAM. with display of proper lights and day signals.
Old 25-02-2022, 12:15   #23

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Hmmmn, I am also wondering if a boat does not have a functional engine and is at anchor should it also display that it is Restricted in its Ability to Maneuver. RAM. with display of proper lights and day signals.

The COLREGS do indicate that you can be RAM and anchored at the same time. However, I'm not sure if doing engine work while anchored would qualify you as RAM (particularly if you have usable sails).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 12:24   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
The COLREGS do indicate that you can be RAM and anchored at the same time. However, I'm not sure if doing engine work while anchored would qualify you as RAM (particularly if you have usable sails).

Thanks for clarifying that.

I believe that the vessel would remain RAM until it is no longer RAM, for the sailboat that change of status would be when it raises at least one sail. Kind of like one's status changes from being at anchor and not being at anchor once the anchor is raised from contact with the bottom and that is when one's displays are supposed to be promptly changed to indicate that the vessel is then no longer at anchor.

Of course, changing status displays is about the last thing anyone is thinking about doing when faced with an urgent situation.

If the vessel was not displaying the proper signals then one risks the insurance company denying a claim and a different apportioning of the liability between the vessels.
Old 25-02-2022, 12:29   #25

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post

Thanks for clarifying that.

I believe that the vessel would remain RAM until it is no longer RAM, for the sailboat that change of status would be when it raises at least one sail. Kind of like one's status changes from being at anchor and not being at anchor once the anchor is raised from contact with the bottom and that is when one's displays are supposed to be promptly changed to indicate that the vessel is then no longer at anchor.

Of course, changing status displays is about the last thing anyone is thinking about doing when faced with an urgent situation.

If the vessel was not displaying the proper signals then one risks the insurance company denying a claim and a different apportioning of the liability between the vessels.

The big thing I question is whether having sails down, engine not operable makes you RAM any more than being anchored without the engine running would (or while sleeping overnight, ignoring the anchor watch requirement as it's impractical on most non-commercial vessels). In either case you're not ready for immediate maneuvering (which I think is implied by being anchored). RAM or not while anchored is a question of not whether you can maneuver immediately, but whether your ability to do so is significantly limited by an abnormal situation or your current working activity.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 14:24   #26

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Every city and town I've lived in, in the US, has an ordinance making it illegal to block someones driveway. This negates the need to post signs along every street indicating that it is not allowed. In fact every ordinance I've ever read indicates the distance from a driveway you're allowed to park.

Probably a fair point. And it actually strengthens my analogy to some degree in that the rule of law need not be posted or even understood for some nitwit to violate it and then cause a problem. In the anchor case, while not a written law, it is a "law of the sea" and as others said gentlemen don't violate that one.

I wonder if I peed on his deck would I be violating illegal dumping rules since it didn't hit the water directly???
Old 25-02-2022, 14:42   #27

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

How about this angle: If someone anchored in such a way that they swung or dragged into my boat, wouldn't that be negligence? I know LE can issue a summons for "negligent operation," but of course they're anchored, not "operating."

I guess in the end it would be up to the insurance company (or companies, in the unlikely even that the idiot had insurance) to settle it, either in court or among themselves.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 14:54   #28

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Where the OP is there's flooding with more heavy rains forecast for the next two days. If he's inside the channel, there's very little room to anchor, and with no running engine, he is unable to leave. He may be in the bay outside the channel. We don't know where he is, and if you look at Noosa, Queensland, Australia on Google Maps, you can see there is a bay outside the town. We have anchored there, overnight, on occasion. It is good sand holding. The nearest marina is about 22 miles south of where he is, UPWIND, and it would be an overnight sail for him to get safely to Hervey Bay, where there would be plenty of room to anchor, but difficult for him to sail into the marina there. He's kind of between a rock and a hard place, given the flooding in SE Qld.

Ann
Old 25-02-2022, 15:25   #29

Boat: Sabre 402

What he needs to do is to get the harbor master to come when the wind is blowing the right way. Tricky.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 23:14   #30

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Creala 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon King View Post
Would be a crying shame if his seacock failed.
Oh, my sister offered an underwater firecracker that I previously used on a coconut which I couldn't even find the pieces of. Unfortunately I'm not a fan of jail or court.
WaldPinkler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring